Slim DA/SA 9mm - Page 3

Slim DA/SA 9mm

This is a discussion on Slim DA/SA 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Moops: The P938 has been out for a few months. I've had a P238 for a couple years for Summer carry. The 936 is only ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Slim DA/SA 9mm

Moops: The P938 has been out for a few months. I've had a P238 for a couple years for Summer carry. The 936 is only a hare bigger, but won't fit 238 holsters. I really like the feel of it, albeit not fired much yet. Very hard to find at a decent price (what isn't!); I ended up buying on Gunbroker and I've got an FFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Slim DA/SA 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by coltchris View Post
    Moops: The P938 has been out for a few months. I've had a P238 for a couple years for Summer carry. The 936 is only a hare bigger, but won't fit 238 holsters. I really like the feel of it, albeit not fired much yet. Very hard to find at a decent price (what isn't!); I ended up buying on Gunbroker and I've got an FFL!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well I'll keep my eyes open. My LGS says they'll match any price, and they'll even order for me to save the FFL xfer fee.

I've held the 238 a few times, though I haven't fired one. Seems like a well made gun and I liked that the slide cycles easily enough that my GF shouldn't struggle with it. How does the 938 compare in that aspect?

She's got her eye on the SAS version. It's a sharp looking gun, and makes for an easy birthday present.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

My EDC is the P238. Very well made little pistol. The recoil is as soft as it can be, even with only 2 fingers on the grip (pinky off grip). This is the only pistol I own that my wife is able to rack the slide with easy. She struggles a bit with the SP2022, which has a very light slide for a 9mm.

I've read a number of review on the P938 but have not shot one myself. The consensus is that, due to its size, it will kick quite a bit more than the P238. The recoil spring will be significantly tighter than the P238. I've also read a lot of issues with the P938 since it's still in its first year production. the P238 also went thru the same growing pain but all issues had been worked out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I carry big steel every day, but will be buying a Springfield XDs in 9mm when I see one on the shelf.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Slim DA/SA 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    What about the SIG 239?
    Yup.

-john

Favorite carry piece/favorite holster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slim DA/SA 9mm-holster-1.jpg  

Slim DA/SA 9mm-holster-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Look for a S&W 908. It is probably the best DA/SA small frame compact for the money around. You should find one for under $400. It's based on the excellent 39 series, so it's proven, reliable and has a very nice trigger.
    Another vote for the 908. Reliability and accuracy is top notch. It is by far my favorite carry and I will not part with it. Shown with my UBG Canute:

I just got the P239, and I love it. It is heavy, and not as concealable as a lot of the smaller pistols out there, but I love DA/SA functionality. I would like a Glock someday, but they scare me. 10 lbs. makes me feel safe. I love that I don't have to have the pistol cocked. I guess it's the purist in me that loves a functionality that hints back to revolvers.

Watching Youtube reviews is a lot sweeter when you're holding that gun in your hand, and not just on the screen. I watched Nutnfancy's review of the 239, and his criticisms made me wonder "What better - smaller - DA/SA pistol is there? Sadly, there were some other good ones, possibly even better than the 239, but they are no longer in production. A few others interest me, such as the Barretta PX4 Storm, and the H&K P30SK. It's too bad SIG dropped the 224.

When I shove my 239 in my pants at the small of my back and look at myself in the mirror from all angles, and it just looks great. If I put a sweatshirt on you wouldn't see it. Of course, that's true of my 229 also, but that's not very practical. The 229 is better carried OWB. The High Noon Side Effect is my favorite for that.

One day I will own some strikers, and I may even love them, but for now I'm in love with my SIG DA/SA guns.
    Rockymonster likes this.

If you can afford it, put a Sig P239 in your hand before you buy.

VIP Member
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by P229 View Post
    I just got the P239, and I love it. It is heavy, and not as concealable as a lot of the smaller pistols out there, but I love DA/SA functionality....
    P229,

You revived a 4 year old thread on your first post. Well Done. Congrats!

And welcome to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblast View Post
    P229,

You revived a 4 year old thread on your first post. Well Done. Congrats!

And welcome to DC.
    Ha! I found this thread by googling smallest DA/SA 9mm pistol, and I have a habit of interacting without looking at dates. For all I knew, this thread was 3 or 4 months old.

A lot has changed in 4 years. Pistols have come and gone. I have my P239 in front of me right now. I take it out of my safe at every opportunity just to handle it and gaze at it! LOL I just like playing with it - unloaded of course. I can't wait to take it to the range to fire it.

I still love my 229, but I think of this 239 as a back up. It's kind of tempting to decide that this 239 is as small as I'll ever need. It's like the perfect balance between the advantages of a 226 and the compactness of a Glock 26. Any micro pistol owner will tell you that if small size wasn't a priority, they'd rather defend themselves with a 226 than a 938. Most guys can only put two fingers on the grip. Well, my little pinky fits perfectly over the buttplate. This 239 conceals well, and I hear it shoots like a 229. I'll find out when I get to the range. I expect it will shoot as sweet as it looks.

On the downside, cocking one-handed is darn near impossible. I can pretty much only cock it in a holster or with two hands. I guess when you miniaturize parts but maintain the same functionality, like trigger pull, that's the result. Attempting to cock this with one hand in a defensive situation will get me killed.

Now I need some holsters for this. I'm thinking of Privateer Leather for the range or IDPA use.

For my next SIG, if I decide against a 225 and M11, maybe I'll buy a 227. Or a 1911 TACOPS or Nightmare.
    SmoothJazz and Denverjay like this.

Sphinx subcompact, thinnest da/sa pistol I am aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by philly01 View Post
    Sphinx subcompact, thinnest da/sa pistol I am aware of.
    That Sphinx is a beautiful gun. I'd love to have one. It is 1.22" wide, and 6.55", or 168mm. My P239 is 1.2" wide, and 6.6", or 168mm. So they are about the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links