Using Valvoline grease for gun lube?

This is a discussion on Using Valvoline grease for gun lube? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a thread on here awhile back that said Sigs run better with grease than oil. I'm currently trying to hunt down a used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Using Valvoline grease for gun lube?

Using Valvoline grease for gun lube?

I read a thread on here awhile back that said Sigs run better with grease than oil. I'm currently trying to hunt down a used P229, so I did some searching on google for gun grease and found a lot of people recommended using regular old automotive wheel bearing grease cause it was cheaper. So I got a tub of Valvoline #2 grade lithium grease. Is this suitable for gun lube? Will it gum up the gun?

It says it "provides lubricating protection" from zero degrees Fahrenheit up to 375 and says the drop point is five hundred degrees minimum. I don't know what any of that means, so I'm hoping someone on here will
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

I use white lithium grease for the roller and rails on my M1-A rifle and the rails on my semi-auto handguns. If you shoot regularly like I do and clean your weapon after each trip to the range I do not see a problem.

I have friends who question my use of it by stating that the high dollar grease they use lasts longer than what I am using. They show me studies showing how their lubes that cost more than many perfumes, will prevent rust on a gun that has been placed in a sack of wet salt and left for a week in a 55 gallon drum of unicorn urine.

Being as I clean my weapon after each use and I seldom fire more than 500 rounds per gun at the range lithium grease will hold up fine. Now if I intend to put it away for long term storage I select a grease developed for that.

If you are going to fire the weapon in sub-arctic conditions I would just shoot it dry. Something the military learned during the winter in Korea.

Michael
    l1a1 and OldVet like this.

I agree with mir1m's thoughts. I don't see any problem using a good grade of light grease on frame and slide rails for guns that need it to prevent excessive wear, but I'll never recommend using any type of grease on the action - expecially trigger and sear parts.

Many years ago, I was out with my (now ex) brother-in-law who used a light grease application on the rails of his Colt 1911 .45ACP and had started using a light application on the action components as well because he said it made everything work much smoother. All was fine and good until we had gone out for a little winter hike to the firewood stack for a little pistol target shooting.

After spending a little time in the 15-degree/F weather getting a few targets stapled in place, he took first turn by drawing his 1911 and firing all 8 shots (had one in the chamber) in what I would guess to be about a half-second. Wow, trust me, a Colt on full auto is impressive to say the least, and all the empty shell casings pretty much hit the ground at the same time. Apparently the frigid grease had become sticky enough to somehow keep the sear from engaging while the trigger was still to the rear. So, be careful about what and where you put any grease - or even thick oil for that matter.

A quality lube will protect and lubricate your weapon. I don't see a reason why lithium grease would not do the job, but there probably isn't a compelling, cost- or performance-based reason to use it instead of a good quality gun lube.

On the other hand, I find that unicorn urine is nowhere near as effective a test agent as hummingbird spit.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

See I use Unicorn Urine on the slides and frame but hummingbird spit for the action.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    A quality lube will protect and lubricate your weapon. I don't see a reason why lithium grease would not do the job, but there probably isn't a compelling, cost- or performance-based reason to use it instead of a good quality gun lube.

On the other hand, I find that unicorn urine is nowhere near as effective a test agent as hummingbird spit.
    A little syringe of shooter's choice costs $14 dollars, while a 1 lb tub of Valvoline cost me five bucks.
    OldVet likes this.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The more expensive grease is aluminum based rather than lithiam based and offers higher degrees of protection in varying conditions. I use Dexron ATF on all my pistols and haven't experienced and problems yet. A quart from Wally World lasts a long time.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

If you're in a warm area like Phoenix, grease on the sliding parts stays put, unlike oils which tend to follow gravity and need frequent replacement.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Mobil 1 here; I have several cans of Rem-Oil that I don't know what to do with anymore. It sure wouldn't stay on the guns. Thinking it might be ok for my clock.

Been experimenting with white lithium grease myself recently.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

+1 on Mobil 1 or the new Castrol Synthetic oils
    Lithium however is very heavy and should be used sparingly if at all !
    I'd rather stick {No pun intended} to a molecular bonding oil like Mobil 1 and Castrol, at least I know it wont gum or make things sticky in anyway !
    If you live in a warm climate grease is wonderful but in the cold is a different story !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

I use TW-25B grease for lubrication of my firearms. One little tube lastes a loooong time. Just make sure you knead it before using it.

By the way - had to do a double-take on the thread title...at first, I though you were asking about vaseline.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

sgb
    I used Slick 50 wheel bearing grease for a lot of years, I'm using a silicone based grease now super lube Gun Grease 3 Oz Tube
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I use a product called super blue . It is completely synthetic with Teflon and it is not affected by heat at all. I get it in the large tube that you would use in a grease gun. They also make very small applicators which I do not like I like the big tube and it goes on relatively clear in color. It is used in a lot of machinery that reaches high temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    By the way - had to do a double-take on the thread title...at first, I though you were asking about vaseline.
    This is a quote from someone on the AR15 armory forum and I've heard it from other places as well.
    "I have used every type of lube imaginable, going from WD-40 (especially good when you have a dirty gun), 3 in 1 oil, suntan lotion, butter to Vagisil- don’t laugh, it works. I may not want to use any of them for the long haul, but for a quick fix it beats having a non functioning gun."
    Vagisil???
    Maybe the doctors recommendation to treat an itchy trigger finger?

It seems that I remember a line from the soldiers manual many years ago if you cant find gun lube to use 30W motor oil , Im thinking of going to Silicone spray on internals to reduce friction and Ive always used grease on the slides and rails. Never thought about mobile 1 for oil but will give that a try when I run low on my current gun oil.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links