Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market - Page 2

Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market

This is a discussion on Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Its cool looking. All that porting is clever from an appearance point of view. My wrist probably couldn't take it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market

VIP Member
    Its cool looking. All that porting is clever from an appearance point of view. My wrist probably couldn't take it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by nwbackpacker View Post
    I had a look at this gun and am confused by it. It's basically a two-shot gun with room for two more in the "grip" (which is more of a thin piece of metal IMO). The reload would be a pain and it's not even that light for the size. 14oz in titanium without ammo? That's 2oz lighter than a Kahr PM9 with empty magazine.

I'm just not sold on the 2 round capability given how tricky it might be to reload that thing with adrenaline pumping through your veins, and a bad guy in front of you.

I like the innovation, but I'm really not buying the concept.
    It's the concept of a backup gun that I like. Two shots of .45 is nothing to sneeze at. As a last ditch effort to protect yourself or loved ones. Two shots of .45 is very adequate. I visited their website and it looks impressive (except for the price), but exotic metals are expensive. I would like to try it.

The niche of this gun is as an ear and nose gun, like the old High Standard double-derringers. Anyone buying it for a primary carry piece, or maybe even as a BUG, might need to rethink. However, as a deep, deep concealment third gun, it has some appeal. Question is, is it really small enough to fill that bill? As to the ports, the flash concerns are misplaced, and recoil reduction IS needed. However, a realistic concern is for getting burned by the ports, if one has to shoot from a close retention position.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    However, a realistic concern is for getting burned by the ports, if one has to shoot from a close retention position.
    Bingo. Burning your eyes will take you permanently out of the fight, and perhaps blind you for life, if you survive. Porting is a bad idea on a defensive handgun.

At least they offer this gun without the ports.

I don't see a niche for this gun, even as a third gun. I sometimes carry three - a Glock, a PM9, and a LCP - sometimes 2 LCPs and the Glock. Rarely, but I've done it. Like I said before, the only market I see for this gun is for those folks who won't even consider carrying anything smaller in caliber than a .45. Those are the folks who think 2 rounds of .45 are better than 7 of 9mm or .380. Whether there are enough of those folks to keep this company in business remains to be seen.

What really interests me is if they branch out into other kinds of handguns. Maybe something to rival the PM9 or Rohrbaugh R9. THAT would be of interest to me - especially if the price is reasonable ($600 or less).
    Philly Boy likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10th, I'm not altogether sure how one would burn his EYES with the port flash. I've done LOTS of shooting, night and day, with ported and compensated pistols and rifles. One would have to have the gun held within inches of his eyes to burn them with the port exhaust. The most likely sites for a port burn are hands and lower torso, if the gun has to be shot from close retention. I've burned my offside hand with Hybrid Port exhaust when shooting a 10mm custom Commander, due to using poor technique shooting from a Speed Rock. Eye burn seems to me to be a non-issue, unless I'm just missing something.

VIP Member
    If only they could get rid of the derringer aspect and have it actually feed like a semi-auto in a frame that small and flat. I wonder if it could handle 4+1, or maybe even just 3+1?

I don't care how punishing to the hand or wrist it is. This is a weapon of last resort, the thing you deploy in bad-breath range, right before somebody gets killed. Shooting comfort is very low on my list of requirements for a tool such as this.

I am intrigued only for its potential.

GM
    A very interesting concept. I really would like to try one.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    10th, I'm not altogether sure how one would burn his EYES with the port flash. I've done LOTS of shooting, night and day, with ported and compensated pistols and rifles. One would have to have the gun held within inches of his eyes to burn them with the port exhaust. The most likely sites for a port burn are hands and lower torso, if the gun has to be shot from close retention. I've burned my offside hand with Hybrid Port exhaust when shooting a 10mm custom Commander, due to using poor technique shooting from a Speed Rock. Eye burn seems to me to be a non-issue, unless I'm just missing something.
    Sit on the ground, keep your elbow at your side, and point your gun upwards, like you would be if someone was standing over you, at close range. The ports would be directing gas pretty much right into your face.

If the purpose of this gun is to be a last ditch weapon, you should expect it to be used in unconventional firing positions. Not all shooting is done on your feet, with two hands. Sometimes, you will be on your butt, sitting, flat on your back, or curled into a fetal ball to protect yourself. Having hot gases going anywhere other than away from you is just a bad idea, IMHO.

I know, I know - some folks will claim that they will never get into such a position, they are always in condition yellow, blah blah blah. Stuff happens. And ports are just an unnecessary risk on a defensive handgun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Another two shooter,,,,, does the world really need more of this type of weapon.
    Personally, I am not real comfortable carrying a J-frame 5 shooter; anymore.

Even though this might be a good gun,,,,, a novelty gun,,, it probably
    will not sell to great,,,, could be wrong ,,,, but it would not make my "want to
    buy list".

You can buy the Heizer two shot Buck Rogers wrist breaker if you want. Ill keep carrying this instead:

WHEC724 likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Its cute, but thats about it...Thanks for sharing HG
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I will check it out. A true pocket gun, or gun of last resort. Nice innovative design, plus there is nothing competing with it. It is too unique. Price might be the only drawback.

Friend of mine bought one sold it bought a Judge

Senior Moderator
    Friend of mine bought one sold it bought a Judge
    Are you sure about that? He must be special.

From the website...
    HEIZER FIREARMS are sold exclusively through select firearms distributors and will be available early 2012.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I have what I think are better weapons, but I'd consider it. The porting or light weight wouldn't be an issue if I needed it to save my life.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links