Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market

This is a discussion on Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DOUBLETAP SPECIFICATIONS Caliber .45 ACP, 9MM Weight 14 oz Titanium (empty) Width .665 inches Length 5.5 inches Height 3.9 inches Barrel 3.0 inches stainless steel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Heizer Firearms...a new player on the market

Senior Moderator

DOUBLETAP SPECIFICATIONS
    Caliber .45 ACP, 9MM
    Weight 14 oz Titanium (empty)
    Width .665 inches
    Length 5.5 inches
    Height 3.9 inches
    Barrel 3.0 inches stainless steel

There is a new player in the gun world called Hiezer Firearms. They are based in St.Louis.

They are marketing a new gun, built specifically for defensive purposes. It can be had in 9mm or .45 and it comes in either Aluminum or Titanium. Its a bit different that other derringer type guns in that is uses ball bearings and has a second strike capability. Its double action, has interchangable barrels, is only 5/8 of an inch wide,auto ejectors and even has storage for an additional 2 rounds in the grip. It has a smooth 10 pound trigger pull and they say that its the lightest, thinnest .45 on the market.

Check it out. Its good to see an American company come out with some innovative products.

Heizer Firearms - Creators of DoubleTapô
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That gun makes the Chiappa Rhino look good! Besides, a .45 cal. in aluminum or titanium--- ow, my aching wrist!
    WHOOPS! I didn't notice the porting and, after watching the video, it might be worth looking in to(Sorry about that! But I still like the looks of the Rhino).
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I really like this as a possible backup gun. Give it a few years and I may own one if they ever become affordable.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    Huh!

Interesting design, but I can only imagine how that must feel to shoot.

I'm also not sure if I would advertise "110 days" from concept drawing to final product.

I'm with HotGuns, it IS good to see an American company showing that we are still an innovation leader.

I wish them luck with it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

The thing weighs a pound even made of titanium and with the barrel porting it may be easier to shoot than you think, I would try it out. Besides if they get close enough for me to need to use it having it stuffed into the BG's belly will probably reduce the recoil. I don't think it will be a range gun.

YEAH! The price is pretty high right now, but still cheaper than a Rohrbaugh.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I had a look at this gun and am confused by it. It's basically a two-shot gun with room for two more in the "grip" (which is more of a thin piece of metal IMO). The reload would be a pain and it's not even that light for the size. 14oz in titanium without ammo? That's 2oz lighter than a Kahr PM9 with empty magazine.

I'm just not sold on the 2 round capability given how tricky it might be to reload that thing with adrenaline pumping through your veins, and a bad guy in front of you.

I like the innovation, but I'm really not buying the concept.
    Philly Boy likes this.

This pistol is great as a BUG for those folks who won't carry anything other than a .45.

For everyone else, a 7-shot 9mm CM9/PM9 or even a 7-shot .380 LCP makes a whole lot more sense to me. While thin, this derringer isn't all that small, nor that light, and is expensive for what it is. The aluminum version is less costly, but heavier IIRC. At least they make a non-ported version - I don't like ported barrels on defensive guns for fear of getting junk in your eyes.

Appreciate the innovation, but I'll pass.
    Philly Boy and dukalmighty like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Rhino is kinda ugly but man that gun can shoot and back on target instantly.

This looks like it will hurt when shot that porting scares the heck outa me too.

Reminds me of the Liberty 45 from WW2..

I just kept thinking about that gun I know what bothered me about that porting; muzzle flash at dusk dawn and dark would be blinding because of those ports.

I saw them in an ad this month in American Rifleman. Took a quick look and then flipped the page.

I can't see any real use for the gun. I did think about the Liberator gun at first when I saw it.

I do like the idea of an American company starting up with something new. Question is can they carve out a market and sell the thing. Time will tell.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The aluminum version is less costly, but heavier IIRC.
    - Their Youtube video says that the aluminum version is 12oz. (0:32).

Heizer DoubleTap (Narrated) - YouTube!

It's an interesting gun, but I can't imagine the market being that huge considering that the .380 offerings have 6+ rounds.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Cool gun for sure, and looks well made. Too big, too heavy, and too expensive for what it does though. A two shot derringer that is as big (yes I realize it's thinner) as my 7 shot Kahr CM9 and is quite a bit more...Maybe when I have way to much money to spend.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

As with any derringer it's going to be brutal to shoot ! I do like the concept of a semi-auto derringer though, it's about time !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links