Just when I think I've settled into a Sig SRT, I shoot a Sig DAK...

This is a discussion on Just when I think I've settled into a Sig SRT, I shoot a Sig DAK... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my Sig P226R SRT Enhanced Elite and my Sig 226R DAK to the range today. The SRT because I like it, and the ...

Thread: Just when I think I've settled into a Sig SRT, I shoot a Sig DAK...

Senior Moderator

Just when I think I've settled into a Sig SRT, I shoot a Sig DAK...

I took my Sig P226R SRT Enhanced Elite and my Sig 226R DAK to the range today. The SRT because I like it, and the DAK because it had Tru-Glo TFO sights on it and I wanted to give them another look.

After a hundred rounds through the SRT, I picked up the DAK to re-try the TG TFOs. Well, the TG TFOs didn't work so well. The lighting conditions at the range, bright fluorescent lights behind and in front of my shooting booth, put the TG TFOs in the shade of the booth and neither the FO or Tritium showed up at all and I had to shoot by black sight profile. These sights shoot about an inch and a half low on top of that.

I ran my standard eval drill, five shots each at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yds. Boy the DAK trigger was feeling good! Here's the first five shots at three yards - Oh that 'shot' at about 5:00, isn't a shot; it's a tear. Usually I fold the tear back up before taking the pic. Don't know why I didn't this time.

I was aiming at the top of the arc of the orange ring:

Here's the accumulative 25 shots:

I have four shots out of the X ring; that's not good, but I was really struggling with the sights. At 15 yds I wasn't quite sure where to hold to stay in the X ring and I had just had new contacts put in both eyes and at times I had multiple front sights.

And here's the elevation problem. I stuck the 2 inch orange dot right above the 3 inch Shoot-N-C and aimed all five shots at the center of the orange dot (15 yds).

There are two hits right at 12:00, two at about 4:00 and one at about 8:00.

But, shooting the DAK was great and more than made up for the sights and eye problems - it's tough getting old, have I ever mentioned that?

Oh yeah, I'll be 66 tomorrow! Hmmm, not sure why I used an exclamation point there.

Seems like this happens every so often. I think I've finally decided on a carry gun, in this case the Hk P30L or the Sig P226R SRT Enhanced Elite. Uhhhh, that's not a gun is it? Anyway, the DAK and P250 triggers feel so good to me. There's something about them I can't seem to fit words around.

I know some think the DA trigs are slow etc. and I suppose if one really worked at speed shooting, he'd be a bit faster with a short reset trigger, but...

In my Advanced Tactics Pistol class at Gunsite I used a 686, 2-1/2" revo, 6 shot (there is a 7 shot). We did several 1.5 second drills. The drill was a target would turn and face us for 1.5 seconds. We had to fire as many shots as we could before it turned back. We started from a low ready.

The first time I easily emptied my 6 shot revo before it turned around. No big deal you'd think, but. Consider that it would probably take 0.25 secs to react to the target and get the gun on target for the first shot. That leaves 1.25 seconds for 6 shots. That's six shots per 1.25 seconds which breaks down to 0.25 second splits. But by the third round, I could have gotten off a 7 shot had I had my 7 shot 686, or come very close to it. That would be split times just under 0.21 secs.

What I'm getting at is you can go pretty fast with a DAO trigger. I don't know that I can shoot much faster with any kind of trigger without an awful lot of specific trigger training.

One of the things I noticed though, is that by the 4th and 5th (last round) my trigger finger muscle fatigued on me and I really slowed down. So if I ever had to shoot 4 strings of rapid fire 6 shots, I might have a problem - my gun only holds 18 rounds.

Anyway, I really enjoy the DAK trigger, very smooth 6 lb pull. I'd have every bit of confidence with a DAK that I would with any kind of trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Range report on two SIGs!! Very nice. This qualifies you for double SIG snob status. (just jealous because I be SIG-less)

I know what you mean about the sights and lighting. I did not have that issue when I was younger, and I was a much better shot. People post of their 25 yard shooting......hah!! I can't see the target at 25 yards, much less put rounds on paper at that distance. This getting older thing blows.....but the alternative is much worse.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Moderator
    So true my friend. I shoot really well out to about 8 - 10 yds. After that I just can't see everything I need to see. Although, lately I do manage to shoot some pretty tight groups at 15 yds (max range at my indoor range).
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links