Kel-tec p11 ... Accuracy?

This is a discussion on Kel-tec p11 ... Accuracy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new P11 to the range today and, aside from one FTF , I shot 50 rds. with little problem---- EXCEPT the accuracy was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kel-tec p11 ... Accuracy?

Kel-tec p11 ... Accuracy?

Took my new P11 to the range today and, aside from one FTF , I shot 50 rds. with little problem---- EXCEPT the accuracy was awful! It shot low left, then high right, etc... . I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, if anything.This is the worst first time out I've had with any of my guns. Any P11 shooters out there with a similar experience? Thanks.
    P.S.I was shooting from the 7 yd. mark.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Typically a gun will not shoot in any direction other than where you point it. Maybe shooting from a rest will give you the best indication of where your point of aim is at. Trigger pull, grip, and about a thousand other reasons could be the anser to your problem. I have guns that i shoot well, and guns that i dont. Make sure your carry gun is one of the guns that you shoot well... to much is riding on you placing rounds in the right places. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Don't give up the ship yet. The P11 has such a very long trigger pull that it takes some practice before you'll shoot it well.
    You really have to concentrate on keeping your front sight on the target, and the P11 is capable of pretty good groups at 10 yards free hand. Also, at 14 oz unloaded, the recoil in the P11 is substantial, so you have that issue to deal with as well.
    Luckily my oldest P11 trigger has lightened up a lot since I got it and I can shoot it pretty well. Is it a Glock? Nope, not even close. Reliable? Never had an issue in either of my P11's. Are they fun range guns? Absolutely not.
    I carry my P11's in a Desantis Apache Ankle rig as a bug to my G19. I look at the P11 as an up close and personal last ditch gun with 10+1 of 9mm. It serves my purpose very well.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It's a cheap Kel Tec. What did you expect?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Better accuracy, that's what!..... but I guess it's more me than the gun; so I'll have to do better with practice
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I have a bit of the same problem with my PF-9, which has a narrower grip than the P-11 but is otherwise very similar. I'm finding that I may be holding on too tightly which might be exacerbating a problem with the long trigger pull...in my case helping to push down to the left on the trigger stroke.

I found that when I one-hand shoot I actually have better accuracy, possibly due to different grip mechanics with an outstretched arm. It actually feels like a more natural grip, which I then try replicating in a two-hand icosceles stance. It seems to be helping.

I recently added the new +1 grip extension, which also helps with the controllability.

Mine may be a low-cost firearm, but it works a heckuva lot better than some costing twice as much!
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It's a cheap Kel Tec. What did you expect?

my last range session with mine....not bad for a cheap Keltec....7 yards free hand. Target is an 8x11 piece of copy paper.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Trigger control is the key for the P11. The trigger is very long and stacks up but it does smooth out after you dry fire (with a snap cap) or shoot it they will get better. If you can master the trigger it will make you a better shot with all your handguns. I like my P11.
    gunthorp likes this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    zonker--good of you to post an actual target

my comment is to the effect that for fast fire at 7 yards one can feel they are
    getting the most out of the gun with 4" groups.

like yours
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had a used P11 for a couple of years (6-7 years ago) that took me a couple hundred rounds to get accustomed to the trigger. Jumping from a long line of single action handguns to the P11 was trying. After a couple of unfruitful range trips I finally realized the best thing to do was sit down at the bench with a sandbag rest and concentrate on the front sight all the way through the trigger press. It was all me. I popped a snapcap in at home and did the wall drill a few hundred times until the muscle memory finally developed. After a while that well worn P11 was out performing one of my running buddy's BHP at slow fire bulleyes targets. I have no idea how many rounds had been cycled through that P11 before me, but I'm sure I put 3000-4000 rounds through it before trading it even for a NIB P32 for mrs surv (she still has it). Yep, it had a springy, tingy trigger that took some sdjusting to, but it was 100% reliable (and turned out to be pretty darned accurate)

You'll get used to it.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Every model gun shoots different then another. Semi-Auto, revolver ... DA/SA ... Some have loooong trigger pulls, while some are short and brake smooth as butter. You need to practice as much as you can to get used to each-one you own. And more over anything you CCW for SD. Sometimes it's not that we macho's want to admit that it's us and not the gun ... Bad gun you can't shoot for itshay you POS ... And some feel better and some we can not get used too. But the "more" you shoot the better you "should" get at it with what ever it is you are shooting.

I shot well with the p11 when I had one. Only reason I got rid of it was to get the pf9 due to being thinner for carry.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'll put it on your ability, I took my little ruger and did the same thing Ruger lcp trigger has a long pull.
    The only thing I like about the pistol is size.When I bought it I couldn't find a ruger 9mm .The ammo
    380 cost kills me.

Grip ext.

I found this to help in both accuracy and control
    of my P-11
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/grip-extension-2/
    Hope this helps,
    Doug
    Philly Boy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The grip extension, as mentioned above, WILL make it run a bit better for some. Same for the LCP. I wish I had know this when I had the PF-9 too.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links