Buying a Walther PPS 9mm tomorrow - Help - 2010 BA or 2011 BB ?.

This is a discussion on Buying a Walther PPS 9mm tomorrow - Help - 2010 BA or 2011 BB ?. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Buying a PPS tomorrow and after reading this and other boards I have learned a lot. Buying a WAP10001 and hoping they have a 2011 ...

Thread: Buying a Walther PPS 9mm tomorrow - Help - 2010 BA or 2011 BB ?.

Buying a Walther PPS 9mm tomorrow - Help - 2010 BA or 2011 BB ?.

Buying a PPS tomorrow and after reading this and other boards I have learned a lot. Buying a WAP10001 and hoping they have a 2011 model DE BB with 2 mags. Had anyone bought one lately that is a BB -2011 mfg? A local dealer said he would do the Jet gun price of $488 plus NC tax.

He has several in stock and I am guessing that he will let me cherry pick instead of taking an older stock BA - 2010 mfg.

My questions are:

Is there a difference between 2010 BA and 2011 BB?
    Has anyone bought a WAP10001 recently with 2 mags and BB?

Thanks and excited to finally get my Walther PPS.

2. Remove Ads

I picked up a “BB WA10001” with 2 mags about 2 weeks ago for $513 with transfer fee. I don’t know if there’s a difference between a 10 and 11 or not. So far I’ve had my "BB" out for 4 sessions:

1st 100 WWB 115s and 50 Speer Gold Dots - no issues
    2nd 100 124 FMJ reloads and 50 147 grain Rem Golden Sabers, and 50 Berry Plated HPs – no issues
    3rd 100 Berry Plated HP reloads, 150 FMJ 124 grn reloads, 50 Hornady 124HPs. Had 4 FTEs towards the end of the session in the last 60 rounds (mix of the HPs and FMJ).

It made me a little nervous, so I bought some WWB 115grn, and reloaded another 100 124grn FMJ. I also cleaned the %^^$$ out of it paying special attention to the extractor.

4th session this afternoon, 100 WWB 115grn FMJ and 100 124grn FMJ reloads with zero issues.

Best I can tell I pushed it past its limit without cleaning during session 3 and that combined with some relatively light loads caused the 4 FTEs. So far 850 rds in 4 sessions which included rapid fire, unsupported, and some weak handed shooting with 4 FTFs. My reloads are using mixed brass that’s seen some moderate-heavy use.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

you could pay $700 for a PPS with 1 mag and it would be worth it.....any common issues were with the very first PPS put out (and mostly with the .40's)..after year one they have been fantastic...you cant go wrong with a PPS....and the PPQ's are even better...PPS is a dream to carry though!

Thanks. Any slide stop issues with the 9mm that you know of? See this thread. Check your slide stop - WaltherForums

Lead Moderator
    I have had zero issues with my 2010 PPS 9mm. A great little carry gun and very accurate.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Ppswilson View Post
    Thanks. Any slide stop issues with the 9mm that you know of? See this thread. Check your slide stop - WaltherForums
    I read that thread, as well as countless others before I bought my PPS. I’ve watched it since introduction reading as much as I could before buying.

I believe the slide-stop issue was fixed by a mod at the factory for the newer pistols. From what I’ve read the “BB”s all have the new stop/hole. Even before the mod, there’s a whole bunch of older pistols with the old stop/hole that are functioning fine and have never had a problem. I think some of the guys are modding their guns based on an issue that “might” happen.
    I haven’t read about any issues with slide stops recently, other than with some of the very early pistols. My theory is that once the issue was noted by the factory, they did some minor tweaking prior to changing the slide stop/hole as in the new pistols (BB and later).

I’ll probably break the 1K point through my pistol this weekend and so far other than a few “explained” FTEs everything’s running fine.

Based on my experience so far with the PPS the PPQ will be my next purchase! I’m working on changing over from being 1911 centric to PPQ/PPS.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    you could pay $700 for a PPS with 1 mag and it would be worth it.....
    You could...but don't...you can get a PPS from jetguns, grabagun or, CDNNinvestments for much less now.....The PPS is a fantastic gun and I bought mine before the "price drop." I am also a member on Waltherforums.com so be sure to say hey there once you buy your PPS. In regards to the changes made over the years, the slide stop hole was expanded to 7mm from 6mm and inside a fitted beefier slide stop. This was not a recall and the results from before BA and BB code guns worked fun...I assume that the 'fix' was made due to a better design and unfortunately, though attempts have been made, it is difficult to pinpoint when the change was made, but it seems to have been some time during the BA (2010) production year.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    We have a 2009 PPS 9mm and it has been a dream! Fabulous pistol.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Chuck:

I wonder if your problem were the reloads. Sometimes they can be inconsistent. I have 3000 rounds through m,y PPS without a single malfunction, all with various factory loads. As to cleaning, I have run over 500 rounds through the gun without cleaning and had no problems. Hope this helps.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Gaius,

It does help, I was going to ask if anybody had shot some long strings without issue.

I thought it might be my reloads initially, but also ran them through a SIG P6 and a High-Power that same range trip with no issue. They were also the same exact load that performed flawlessly yesterday and had run fine on range session #2. Session #3 was the most I’d shot in one session without cleaning, so that’s the one variable that I can identify. Also the FTEs weren’t spread out though the session, they were definitely towards the end in about the last 60 rounds, and got worse as the firing went on. After the 2nd FTE, I handed the PPS to a friend to make sure it wasn’t me and he also had 1 FTE in that magazine.

I suspect it just wasn’t broken in enough for a long string with moderate powered ammo and as the fouling increased the reliability suffered. I performed no additional prep prior to shoot, simply unloaded my carry ammo and started shooting. I’m not sweating it after yesterday’s trip, but I was scratching my head Sunday afternoon. Also, while I think the PPS is near perfection for a CCW gun, it’s not my idea of a range gun, so the ability to shoot long strings isn’t on my list of requirements for it.

I’ll increase the load velocity some and apply some additional lube prior to shooting and see what happens. I’m going to work up a load for 147grn JHPs to mirror my carry load, so maybe that extra oomph will do the trick.

Thanks,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I am sure it will be fine. A funny thing. I use an S&W M&P9 as both my range and competition gun. My PPS shoots almost as well as my M&P. I even ran a Suarez International 2 day course using my PPS the first day and my M&P the second, with almost identical results. I'll bet if you get some practice time in with your PPS you will be amazed. Best of luck and enjoy.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

UPDATE: the dealer that quoted me $488 Mace Sports in NC had only AK 2009 models and ever one was the old slide stop. Called one more placed and he just got in a BB 2011 test fired 11-10-2011. Bought it for $510 and put 400 rounds through it today. Love the gun. It came with 7 and 8 rd mags. Great service too. Personal Defense in Raleigh, NC. Tell him Tim Wilson sent you for the price. Was going to order from Jetguns etc. but by the time I pad transfer and bought another mag I was at same price.

Congrats!

Have you decided what you’re going to carry it in?
    I’m using an MTAC Minotaur for CCW and a CompTac paddle holster for range use. The MTAC is very comfortable, right up there with a couple Sparks VM2s I own. The thin backing and even thinner kydex shell goes well with the PPS.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Links