I shot a dozen SCCYs, with a case of free ammo, and it changed my mind.

This is a discussion on I shot a dozen SCCYs, with a case of free ammo, and it changed my mind. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The range where I "work" is a few miles from the SCCY factory, and a former employee of my range works there now. Yesterday he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I shot a dozen SCCYs, with a case of free ammo, and it changed my mind.

I shot a dozen SCCYs, with a case of free ammo, and it changed my mind.

The range where I "work" is a few miles from the SCCY factory, and a former employee of my range works there now. Yesterday he came in with one of their machinists and a big box of NIB SCCY pistols. He told me they were testing some to take to a trade show, and the snail trap in their shop was too small for the task. They had a case of Fiocchi 115gr FMJ and a stack of magazines and offered me the chance to fire what I wanted.

I have a rule about free ammo that goes something like "never turn down a chance to shoot someone else's free ammo"

So I took a few dozen magazines through all of the guns they had, blue and two-tone plated, thumb safety and no safety. I ran them fast, and for accuracy. I had no failures. I even fired it weak hand only with a two finger grip and 115gr range ammo without a limp wrist failure! And I did that for two full magazines in a brand new gun. I must say I was favorably impressed. I do admit I had a poor opinion of them before, but I have changed my mind. I had seen parts (mostly the safety) fail in the older guns, the quality of the new ones is much better all around. The only single small issue was that one magazine base slipped forward off of the detent that holds it in place. That caused it to pinch my finger. I pulled that magazine out of the pile, and I'm sure it was an easy fix, maybe a molding mark or a burr was keeping the detent from fitting. It didn't occur with any of the 20+ other mags. Quick Dremel or Xacto knife fix. According to my buddy, the old management is gone and the new people are investing more in equipment and working for quality. I'm going to be bold and say it's as good as the Kel Tec P11 now. Good gun from good people. What more could you ask for?

(Actually I did ask for more... Think SCCY factory suppressor package with Superhouse15 designed baffles, but thats another topic.).
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Didn't realize they made more than a dozen, let alone had the demand for more than a handful be made on a yearly basis.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Buddy of mine has one.. I hate it. Not so much because it's 9mm (like I usually do 9mms), but because it just wasn't good for my hands. Also, it quit working- pull the trigger and no bang. Tried everything and it didn't work. Until he got mad and beat it (unloaded) against the table at the range we were at. Then it went bang every time.

This guy is an ASE Master Tech, with almost 30 years in the business- he proved it beyond a doubt with that technique.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Buddy of mine has one.. I hate it. Not so much because it's 9mm (like I usually do 9mms), but because it just wasn't good for my hands. Also, it quit working- pull the trigger and no bang. Tried everything and it didn't work. Until he got mad and beat it (unloaded) against the table at the range we were at. Then it went bang every time.

This guy is an ASE Master Tech, with almost 30 years in the business- he proved it beyond a doubt with that technique.
    That’s the difference between and an engineer and a technician, an engineer knows a good swift hit will make it work a technician knows where to hit it.
    zonker1986 and gunthorp like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Glad to see another Florida gun company has gotten their act together. Early models were.....embarrassing.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    That’s the difference between and an engineer and a technician, an engineer knows a good swift hit will make it work a technician knows where to hit it.
    Possibly true, but it took an engineer to come up with the adage that "there is no technical problem so difficult that it can't be solved with brute force and ignorance." And for Marine combat engineers, add "and liberal doses of C4."
    zonker1986 and marcclarke like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Also, it quit working- pull the trigger and no bang.
    That's normal when you run out of ammo.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The difference is that the engineer would sit around take measurements and talk about it all day. The tech would just bang on the table and it would be done.
    ASSA9 likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Possibly true, but it took an engineer to come up with the adage that "there is no technical problem so difficult that it can't be solved with brute force and ignorance." And for Marine combat engineers, add "and liberal doses of C4."
    Of course it took an engineer to come up with that adage- technicians don't talk about it; they just hit it with the hammer and be done with it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    I sincerley hope that this new crop of guns performs better than the old ones did.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A very interesting post. I thought they were a nice 9 MM package at a good price point when first on the market. I thus had a couple (a husband and wife pair) at an early point in the company life before the name change, and the unreliability made me swear off of them. After several shipments to and from the factory, and after having received NIB replacements, I sold the two I had at that time (at a loss, of course), and never looked back. I might let them age a year or two and revisit them if they get it fixed. But.............I am more a fan of 45 right now............

the old management is gone and the new people are investing more in equipment
    Their website says they moved in February 2010, I had mine much earlier than that.

From their website: "In 1998 Joe Roebuck recognized the increasing demand for a safe, simple to use, and affordable firearm due to political climate changes and most states enacting legislation to allow conceal and carry permits."

Joe is still there too...............

So, I'll wait and see.

A case of ammo had to be a blast! Did you get a helper for all of the loading?

just to clarify

I am superhouse15's former co-worker, I am currently the service manager/armorer for Sccy industries. Sccy has never used a blued slide, gen1's were black oxided and gen 2's are nitrided. info here Nitriding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    All of the slides are made from heat treated 416 stainless steel, the barrels are heat treated 416R stainless steel. There is no M.I.M. or cast parts, all metal parts are either 100% C.N.C. machined from bar stock, some smaller parts use stamped steel.
    Some of you would be very surprised at the market demand for this pistol. We now have multiple national ditributors selling our product(s). We get orders daily, the response from the gen 2's has been very positive! All of the known issues with the gen 1 pistols have been resolved with the gen 2. It's a hard to beat package in it's price range. I challenge anyone to find a better pistol for the same price! 15oz, 11 round, double action, 9x19 made in America, major components from stainless steel, great ergonomics, Dupont Zytel polymer grip, ships with two mags four mag bases 2 pinky extensions, 2 flat bottoms, gun specific trigger lock, Limited lifetime warranty, and sells for around $300. Noticeably less muzzle rise than my Kel-Tec P11, due to better grip design. Superhouse can tell you i'm a bit of a "gun snob" and had zero respect for the gen 1 Sccy's. After a few months here working in sales then production and assembly, i learned first hand what goes into the little pistols, also test firing hundreds if not thousands of them and I was "converted". I personally feel this is the best $300 handgun available. Of course you will all think i'm biased because i work for Sccy. go to Sccy's website (SCCY Industries) and watch the 3rd party video review of the gen 2 CPX-2. See what you think, you may change your feelings about Sccy. cheaperthandirt.com is selling CPX-2s for $204 plus shipping and transfer fee, if applicable. how can you go wrong?
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Joe is still here, the problems arose when Joe was out ill. the vice president had different views for the company than the founder. he has since been fired.
    no such thing as "knock down power"......
    only "knock down accuracy"!!
    lawyers are the only ones counting the misses ACCURACY FIRST!!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Interesting. It will, in my opinion, be an uphill battle to overcome the stigma attached the name, no matter how you spell it. A lot of people remember the
    alleged internet posers who claimed to be posting as regular forum members but were actually shills for the company.

Still, good luck to them.

I'm glad there is a version with no thumb safety - with a long, 9lb trigger pull (from the website), you certainly do not need one, for anything other than legal reasons to sell it in certain states.

PileofBrass - Any chance you could shrink it a bit, and come up with competition for the CM9?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links