P3AT Problem Solved!

This is a discussion on P3AT Problem Solved! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So for quite a while I've had a P3AT sitting on my desk. I was having a problem wherein pulling the trigger would pull back, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By farronwolf
  • 1 Post By pctyson

Thread: P3AT Problem Solved!

P3AT Problem Solved!

So for quite a while I've had a P3AT sitting on my desk. I was having a problem wherein pulling the trigger would pull back, but not release, the hammer. I contacted the good people of KelTec who sent me new springs, guide rod, trigger bar...nothing worked. It's been up there for months.

Meanwhile, over on the knife boards, there arose a discussion about pocket pistols. I happened to mention the problem, but not the gun make or model. I did mention that I hadn't gotten around to shipping it off to Florida for repair. Turns out that was enough.

Another guy on the knife board suggested looking at the back of the trigger to see if there was a pin visible. There was. This pin had worked it's way out quite a bit. I took the gun apart, made sure the spring it's connected to was where it should be, then pushed the pin back up into place...and voila! Problem solved!

I was surprised I hadn't run across this fix before so I thought I'd drop in and mention it in the hopes it may help someone else out. Five minutes of work is a heck of a lot cheaper than shipping things around.

So now I guess I'm in possession of a working pocket gun again. Have to take it to the range and run some rounds through it, but I expect it'll be as good as it was before I had the problem. Now to decide wether to keep or sell.

2. Remove Ads

SOOOOO--- You're a pancake/hotcakes man?!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Might want to talk to a KT CS and let them know what you ended up fixing. It does pay to spend time taking a new handgun apart as far as you can just to learn about them better. Hope it runs well for you.

Those are buckwheat cakes.

That's a good idea Hardluk. I don't mind doing the work, though I do sort of wonder why the pin worked itself out in the first place. Glueing it in seems like a bad idea, so I'll just keep an eye on it in the future.

I'd like to be able to trust the gun again. A lot of guys really like their P3ATs, and it sure is easier to carry than a Glock 19. I like my KelTec, but I trust my Glock. I'll probably carry the .380 some after I take it to the range a few times and see how it fares. I know I missed it last August, but I also know I can carry a G19 all day in the summer too.

Guess you can't have too many pistols.

I don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but I've seen lots of people with obscure problems post a short YouTube video of it, maybe you'll help someone else in your predicament in the future. /shrug. Just an idea.

Sponsor
    MMMM... Buckwheat flapjacks...MMMM
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

That's another good idea, Pkupman. That's exactly why I posted it here. It's a drag to have a gun stop working, but worse to spend money on something you can fix yourself in one minute with simple tools.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Was the problem with to metal parts if it was a small drop of green lock-tite will stop it. If plastic maybe pinning and edge if possible. But in ether case talk about the fix on KTOG and then others will know and help someone else if it happens again.

Glad you found the problem.

It would bother me as to how the pin worked its way out. A call to KelTec might be in order to inform them of the fix and to ask what is supposed to keep the pin in place. The pin may be out of spec or the hammer where it is inserted my have had the hole drilled improperly. They may want to keep a record of your serial number so that if any others around that manufacture date have the same issue they know what to tell them.

Helping the manufacturer help their other customers goes a long way towards keeping customer relations at a good level.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Smile Problem still exists in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    So for quite a while I've had a P3AT sitting on my desk. I was having a problem wherein pulling the trigger would pull back, but not release, the hammer. I contacted the good people of KelTec who sent me new springs, guide rod, trigger bar...nothing worked. It's been up there for months.

Meanwhile, over on the knife boards, there arose a discussion about pocket pistols. I happened to mention the problem, but not the gun make or model. I did mention that I hadn't gotten around to shipping it off to Florida for repair. Turns out that was enough.

Another guy on the knife board suggested looking at the back of the trigger to see if there was a pin visible. There was. This pin had worked it's way out quite a bit. I took the gun apart, made sure the spring it's connected to was where it should be, then pushed the pin back up into place...and voila! Problem solved!

I was surprised I hadn't run across this fix before so I thought I'd drop in and mention it in the hopes it may help someone else out. Five minutes of work is a heck of a lot cheaper than shipping things around.

So now I guess I'm in possession of a working pocket gun again. Have to take it to the range and run some rounds through it, but I expect it'll be as good as it was before I had the problem. Now to decide wether to keep or sell.
    Just wanted to let you know that I found your post AFTER having spent hours disassembling and learning how the gun functionshttp://defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.png
    This issue is still occurring in May of 2013 which means that Kel-Tec is either not getting the message or they are simply ignoring the problem. I dabbed a little super glue on the end of the pin at the trigger to make sure that the pin stays in place. I hope that I do not have to remove the trigger in the future. I sent a message to them regarding this issue. my guess is that it too will be ignored. Oh well. Not much else I can do.
    Thanks for having taken the time to post the solution as it was a real booger to find on my own. Hopefully others will find your post first and save themselves a lot of time.

Philip
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Thanks for looking in on us during an internet search.

Thanks for joining the Forum.

Thanks for sharing your issues and solutions with us.

Welcome!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links