Do you use your sights?

Do you use your sights?

This is a discussion on Do you use your sights? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those that have experience in a SD or qualified simulated SD situation: Do you even use your sights (iron sights). I reckon in a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cdknox
  • 1 Post By Hill Country

Thread: Do you use your sights?

Do you use your sights?

For those that have experience in a SD or qualified simulated SD situation: Do you even use your sights (iron sights).

I reckon in a gun fight at close quarters, it will be the first one that fires the shot that has the advantage. The presumption is self defense is close quarters, and sighted aim isn't necessary, and the time it takes to aim is a disadvantage. I'm thinking the proper method uses point and shoot; rather than point, sight aim, shoot.

The thought above has to do with my purchase of new sights. If I'm point shooting and not aiming with sights, then my choice between two sights are weighed differently. One choice is optimized for quick acquisition, the second choice more accurate 3-dot sights. If I'm not aiming with sights, then quick acquisition sights aren't meaningful, but accuracy of a standard 3-dot sight becomes more important. The idea is that no sights needed for close quarter quick shots; instead accuracy shots for longer range or when time is given for an accurate shot.

Thoughts?

I practice point shooting at close range more than aimed fire.

Michael

No, I don't use my sights.

I never use the sights. I always practice point shooting, both eyes open. In a SD situation, I doubt I would have time to fire an aimed round.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I practice point shooting at close range more than aimed fire.
    Michael
    Same here, I shoot 7yds & closer & can hit a papper plate 90% of the time. I do use sights when shooting my 4" wheelies out to 25 yrds as with my 22's. I shoot from the hip & out of holster & arm 3/4 point ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Same here, I shoot 7yds & closer & can hit a papper plate 90% of the time. I do use sights when shooting my 4" wheelies out to 25 yrds as with my 22's. I shoot from the hip & out of holster & arm 3/4 point ; )
    H/D
    Where are those bullets going the other 10% of the time. I train to use my sights. I understand that during stress of an attack, fine motor skills decrease, but that is why I train to use my front sight. I hope I never have to find out how effective my practice is.
    1911LOD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Where are those bullets going the other 10% of the time. I train to use my sights. I understand that during stress of an attack, fine motor skills decrease, but that is why I train to use my front sight. I hope I never have to find out how effective my practice is.
    That 10% is on a bad day,But that's drawing & shooting, As far as the bullet are going in a 30" berm & closer shots are 98% ; )PS If I use sights, Then we are talkin 4" Groups at a good rate of fire
    Y/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i am up close a point shooter; or rather i see where i want the bullet to go.

it does not matter to me if i or the target are moving this way. much like a
    football quarterback may be in motion and his target is also. yet practice with
    the good luck of having a knack for it, he completes the pass.

even though i do not consciously look through the sights, the gun itself is
    usually in my field of vision. from past experience my subconscious
    knows what the proper orientation of the gun should be relative to the
    target.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm not sure there is a typical scenario. I've seen situations at point blank and also at rifle range - IOW, some used iron sights, some didn't. Some involved a gradual escalation and some were instantaneous with no warning.

I know I sound like a broken record, but a laser sight is IMHO the single biggest advance in handguns in the last hundred years. Not only can I get on target more quickly, but as a training aid for point shooting and trigger control it can't be beat. I still practice with iron sights, though.
    Cdknox likes this.

Sponsored Links