SP101 Questions

SP101 Questions

This is a discussion on SP101 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i just bought a ruger 3"sp101 last night at bass pro on an impulse buy and i love the gun. but when i got home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SP101 Questions

SP101 Questions

i just bought a ruger 3"sp101 last night at bass pro on an impulse buy and i love the gun. but when i got home and started researching for holsters the market is super slim for the 3inch model i have ten days to return it and im starting to think maybe i should have went for the 2 in model theres so many more holsters for it o yea and i plan on using this gem for ccw and a fun range gun. now im torn what to do my reasoning for the 3 inch was because i already have a snub smith 442 even though its only 38 it covers my snub needs but now im staring to think the 3 inch wouldnt be as good for ccw help me out guys i only have 9 days left to make up my mind

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I like the 2". I had the 3" with hammer but it was a pain for pocket carry. I sold it and got the 2"DAO. Funny thing is after I got the LCR 357 I never pocket carry the SP101. No matter I like DAO guns better and I like 2" guns better.

Go to Haysholsters:Jeff is a sponsor and has made 3 great holsters for my .327 mag. SP101. You won't be sorry! And the 3'' version is a great gun.
    Cdknox and bunker like this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I agree with Philly Boy...head on over to Hays Holsters. Here's a review I did of a holster Jeff made.

New Hays Holster for my SP101
    Philly Boy and bunker like this.

Fear not!
    I have the Ruger SP101 in 3"...perfect size.
    You can find plenty of holsters from Fist...they can make any holster you want for your 'tank of a weapon'.
    HOLSTERS

I carry mine IWB in this...FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I vote for keeping the three inch model. Whatever you decide find the right carry load. I recommend Corbon loads as they blend there powder for lower muzzle flash. I had a rude awakening after doing a nightfire course. The muzzle flash was potent enough for me to worry about its effects if in a lowlight situation. Shop around you'll find a holster. I had a parachute rigger modify one for a S&W J frame IWB to fit my SP101.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Lots of the 2.2" holsters on the market are open bottomed holsters. Problem solved.

VIP Member
    I vote for keeping it too. Holsters are available for it, maybe not as many as for other models, but they're out there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Keep the 3" 101, I will be buying one soon, (late Christmas present to myself) check out The American Holster Company I have the invisi-tuck for my Glock 19 and will get the same thing made for the 3" 101, lots of holsters out there.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I had a 2 inch bobed hammer SP101 & it was just to big & heavy for pocket carry.

I traded it for a 3 inch SP101 with a hammer I could cock & yes there are not as many holsters for the 3 inch as there for the 2 inch but there out there.

The SP's are no "airweight" J frame, there a little bigger & a bunch heavier but still a lot lighter than say a commander sized 1911 a steel one anyway. But they are so accurate! Built like little tanks they inspire confidence & ya don't have to worry about cracking the frame with a +P or magnum load,'cause a SP101 will not let you down!

Quote Originally Posted by lilrinn1019 View Post
    i just bought a ruger 3"sp101 last night at bass pro on an impulse buy and i love the gun. but when i got home and started researching for holsters the market is super slim for the 3inch model i have ten days to return it and im starting to think maybe i should have went for the 2 in model theres so many more holsters for it o yea and i plan on using this gem for ccw and a fun range gun. now im torn what to do my reasoning for the 3 inch was because i already have a snub smith 442 even though its only 38 it covers my snub needs but now im staring to think the 3 inch wouldnt be as good for ccw help me out guys i only have 9 days left to make up my mind
    Actually it isn't difficult to find holsters for your 3" SP101. You need to search again. I like the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar for my 2.25" SP. Holsters for different barrel lengths are available there too.

Holster Fit Info
    Attached Images
    Last edited by wmhawth; December 23rd, 2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

+1 on the Simply Rugged. Don't think a 3" barrel would be all that different to carry in the Silver dollar (compared to the 2.25"). I carried the 4" GP100 around before the SP101.

Keep the 3" SP101.......I just picked up my second one two weeks ago......I can't tell by your post what type of holster you prefer.....I'm strictly OWB leather. I just ordered a pancake from Steven Kelley....Kelley Gunleather.....he makes several types for the 3" SP. Awesome customer service! As I looked around, I found many more:

Fist
    DM Bullard
    Elpaso Saddlery
    Milt Sparks
    Alessi
    TT Gunleather

Don't get rid of the 3" just because of the holster.....you will regret it!

I'd keep the 3", but of course as an owner I'm a bit biased.

Photo Dec 23, 6 08 56 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 12, 6 43 46 PM.jpg

thats it im keeping the three inch thanks guys for all the advice i now know with a little patience and time i will be able to find a good holster. cant wait to go shoot this thing monday and ill post some pictures up tom when my camera is all charged up thanks for the reassurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links