Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

This is a discussion on Glock Gen 4 Kaboom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP - What is your point? Someone shoots reloaded ammo in a Glock, and it blows up, when Glock tells you not to use reloads. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

OP - What is your point? Someone shoots reloaded ammo in a Glock, and it blows up, when Glock tells you not to use reloads. It does not matter if it is factory reloads or not - a reload is a reload, and the high pressure .40 puts a lot of stress on the case.

Someone else shoots what seems to be non-jacketed lead bullets in a Glock, when Glock tells you not to, and it blows up. The lead leaves residue in the polygonal rifling, leading quickly to an over-pressure situation. If you want to shoot lead bullets, get an aftermarket barrel with regular rifling. It is as simple as that.

If someone is a true Glock "fanboy" and they tell you it is ok to use lead bullets in a Glock with a factory barrel, then they are idiots.

You really need to change your screen name.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    cause it could NEVER be a Glock failure could it??
    never.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - What is your point? Someone shoots reloaded ammo in a Glock, and it blows up, when Glock tells you not to use reloads. It does not matter if it is factory reloads or not - a reload is a reload, and the high pressure .40 puts a lot of stress on the case.

Someone else shoots what seems to be non-jacketed lead bullets in a Glock, when Glock tells you not to, and it blows up. The lead leaves residue in the polygonal rifling, leading quickly to an over-pressure situation. If you want to shoot lead bullets, get an aftermarket barrel with regular rifling. It is as simple as that.

If someone is a true Glock "fanboy" and they tell you it is ok to use lead bullets in a Glock with a factory barrel, then they are idiots.

You really need to change your screen name.
    My point is that I have witnessed one of two kabooms from my buddy Bob's Glock 27's, this got me thinking to see if there are issues with the Gen 4's out there. His were not reloads, as I mentioned this new one was with Speer ammo. Honestly I would love to change my screen name if I would not lose my post count and what not. Mods can you do this?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My point is that I have witnessed one of two kabooms from my buddy Bob's Glock 27's, this got me thinking to see if there are issues with the Gen 4's out there. His were not reloads, as I mentioned this new one was with Speer ammo. Honestly I would love to change my screen name if I would not lose my post count and what not. Mods can you do this?
    Mods cannot do this, but a board admin can.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

It's like they say...A Glock will always go BANG when you pull the trigger...One way or another!

Not a cheap shot at Glocks or their owners, just can't resist a good smart-ass comment. :) I had a Ruger 10-22 have a squib load during a 30rd mag dump. I squeezed...it didn't feel quite right...before my brain could register, I squeezed again...Then it REALLY didn't feel quite right. The stock disintegrated in my hand, the mag was blown in two and out of the weapon, .22 long rifle ammo, mag springs, and all manner of profanities were all of a sudden flying through the air.

No blood, no foul. I was unhurt but have never been more glad to have on eye and ear protection. Took the rifle to a smith and it came back AOK. No barrel or reciever damage and after gluing the splinters back together in the shape of a stock, it shoots just as good as ever. :)
    Chief1297 likes this.

Fanboys will always be fanboys, and haters will always be haters. I still like the Glock.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

that look like a Gen3 to me

So long as your buddy is OK, it was cheap. Two guns of whatever make grenading would make just about anyone I know skittish. Glad to hear he walked away, although I suspect he was shaking a bit.

WHAT IS IT WITH GLOCK???

I have never heard of any brand of anything that has such fervent defenders and detractors. Love em or hate em. I dunno. They are a mechanism that works. Or occasionally do not. Like C hawk Glock's friend's gun. He is a fortunate man to walk away from two wrecks. But just that fast, C hawk M&P's friend is an idiot because he ran reloads (exposed lead, no doubt) through a weapon that cannot take it. But I seem to recall, the man ran Speer factory loads through this weapon. Look guys, I am a Miami Dolphins fan. I know it is hard when your darling blows it, and in public to boot. But they all screw up. From Glocks to SIGs to Fords to Snap On tools, they all screw up. Looks to me like all should be glad that nobody got hurt, rather than assign blame.
    Harvester likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Bubba'd at home, or bubba'd in a factory is still bubba'd. Is that non jacketed ammo too?
    How come it's always "Bubba's" fault? We Bubba's have feelings too. Bubba's of the world untie... I mean unite.

I will say this,I reload and have reloaded thousands of rounds of ammunition,After Bummer got elected a lot of popular pistol powder was sold out,I was using Unique Exclusively but had to try to find something in stock that would work.I saw that "American Select" seemed to be able to reload what I needed,I just started noticeing that when I load 40 S&W I have started having a few case ruptures in the extractor area,I load on the Start grains,and actually reduced by 10% and still had some issues,I never had a problem with Unique for several years.The 40 is the only case I'm having an issue with,so I am going back to Unique for loading 40 S&W.Hopefully that will solve the problem
    hogdaddy and Mike1956 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I have seen a lot of guns get Kaboomed! it happens. I like glocks but by no means am I a fanboy as I have my kimber 10mm on my hip while I type this at work. I think when it is a glock it gets blown out of proportion by both sides the haters yell SEE LOOK BAD GLOCK!!!!! and the lovers say IT WASN'T THE GUN!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

It happens to em all. You just hear about more Glocks because there are more of them being shot out there than any other handgun.

Springfield XDM kaboom | The Firearm Blog
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pretty simple...Glock says, "No reloads!"
    I guess some people can't follow easy instructions.
    I've put about 5,000 reloads through my G19 and close to 1,000 through my G26. I use Cu plated Berry's RN bullets. I don't shoot bare lead, it doesn't work well in the Glock's rifleing. I know folks that have put way more reloads through Glocks than I have. With the price of ammo today, reloading is almost a necessity if one is going to shoot very much. 5 years ago, when 100 rounds of 9mm WWB was 10 bux at WalMart it wasn't a big deal. Quite different now.

And .380 ammo is more than 9mmP, or it is at the local Gander Mt.

I went through 150 rounds of each at the range today.

I love my Dillon 550B for handgun ammo and my Redding BOSS for rifle ammo. I have some rifles that have never had a factory round fired in them.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

And this, boys and girls, is why you do not fire reloaded ammo in a Glock. Home reloaded or factory reloaded, doesn't matter. Only virgin brass in a Glock, always.

This person has no warranty either. Glock specifically says, warranty void if reloaded ammo fired in the gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't know if it's because of unsupported Glock barrels combined with the 40 being a high pressure round or what. But, I figure for the price of ammo I am saving , I can afford to replace a gun here and there.

I have not heard of this issue with the 9mm, 45, or 10mm in the Glock.
    Also my agency has the used the G22 for years and we fire alot of ammo during our qualification 4 times a year, and since we started using the 40 in 1999, we have never had an issue.
    If you put together all the agency that use a Glock 40s&w, and the rounds fired over the years without issue, then the Glock kaboom incidents are actually insignificant.
    Rollo and blitzburgh like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links