Glock Gen 4 Kaboom - Page 3

Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

This is a discussion on Glock Gen 4 Kaboom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this just specific to the Glock .40 with the no reloads? And why is Glock the only ones I have heard of that says ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

Is this just specific to the Glock .40 with the no reloads? And why is Glock the only ones I have heard of that says no reloads. Don't get me wrong I don't reload so not a problem for me, and I just traded my G26 for a G36. Just seems strange to me that you can use reloaded ammo (within Specs of course) for just about any handgun out there but Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    My point is that I have witnessed one of two kabooms from my buddy Bob's Glock 27's, this got me thinking to see if there are issues with the Gen 4's out there. His were not reloads, as I mentioned this new one was with Speer ammo. Honestly I would love to change my screen name if I would not lose my post count and what not. Mods can you do this?
    Who cares about Post count?? Thats even worst than being a Glock Fanboy haha.. just keep the pic of your good looking dog there
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    So long as your buddy is OK, it was cheap. Two guns of whatever make grenading would make just about anyone I know skittish. Glad to hear he walked away, although I suspect he was shaking a bit.

WHAT IS IT WITH GLOCK???

I have never heard of any brand of anything that has such fervent defenders and detractors. Love em or hate em. I dunno. They are a mechanism that works. Or occasionally do not. Like C hawk Glock's friend's gun. He is a fortunate man to walk away from two wrecks. But just that fast, C hawk M&P's friend is an idiot because he ran reloads (exposed lead, no doubt) through a weapon that cannot take it. But I seem to recall, the man ran Speer factory loads through this weapon. Look guys, I am a Miami Dolphins fan. I know it is hard when your darling blows it, and in public to boot. But they all screw up. From Glocks to SIGs to Fords to Snap On tools, they all screw up. Looks to me like all should be glad that nobody got hurt, rather than assign blame.
    The OP didn't mention that his friend was using factory Speer ammo until his second post in the thread. I won't comment further on that.

It's not a question of assigning blame - I come here to learn, and to perhaps share what I might know.

In that spirit, I will add this. It is a common misconception that Glock .40 barrel chambers are "unsupported," and that those of other makers are "supported." The truth is that ALL chambers are partially unsupported - otherwise, how would the extractor hook onto the case rim?

The difference is in the degree of support. Glock made a design decision to give priority to reliable feeding of the widest possible array of factory ammo. That is why the feed ramp and underside of the chamber are the way they are. It is also why Glock tells you not to use reloads - the case needs to do its part to contain the pressure. Brass that has been fired previously cannot be as strong as factory new.

If you wish to run reloads, then purchase an aftermarket barrel that has a chamber with a higher degree of case support than factory. But beware that you might experience more feed issues, and an aftermarket barrel is no guarantee against a kaboom either - the case is still going to be partially unsupported - it cannot be otherwise.

As far as the OP's friend goes, with his Gen 4 G27 and factory Speer ammo kaboom - unless there was a problem with the metallurgy of his gun (which can happen, and which the factory should examine) then it was likely an issue with the ammo (overcharge, bad powder mix, etc).

The .40 has little margin for error - you'll note there is no SAAMI spec for "+P" .40 ammo. Maybe the OP's buddy should stick with either 9mm or .45 ACP? Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm not going to dispute that he was using reloads or not. IMHO the Glocks chambered for .40 S&W are most prone to Kaboom. The .40S&W is a high pressure round and IMHO, Glock doesn't design their .40 barrel chambers with enough support for the round. Remove the barrels of both a Glock ".40S&W" (22, 23, 27), and the barrel of a Springfield XD40, drop a round into the chamber of each and compare. You'll see the Springfield is fully supported. Glock could do better with this particular round.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

people MUST NEVER use non FMJ ammo in any glock because of the design of the barrel lead rounds cause a build up of lead in the barrel and could cause a kaboom. the jury is divided on the use of reloads, I would shy away from them in .40, if you really want to use reloads or leaded rounds you have to get an after market barrel.
    the OP is doing something wrong to have 2 kabooms, maybe he should get a different brand.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Shoulda bought a 1911.
    msgt/ret and multistage like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Shoulda bought a 1911.
    Really?

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Really?

Yeah, really. It's always fun saying that to folks who always say, "shoulda bought a Glock".

Let me find that sarcasm font/emoticon before someone REALLY gets offended.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Sorry Deadguy. Im kinda slow. I get it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    At the end of the day, I think the real question is that it seems .40 is the biggest kaboomer in all handguns. Yes it's a high pressure round, but it just seems to go hand in hand. The only .40 I own is a Springfield EMP, I would be pissed if blew up! The sucker would be expensive to replace! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

As duk said, The .40 a high preasure round. when I load for it I use Unique & at low end and have no problems ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Is this just specific to the Glock .40 with the no reloads? And why is Glock the only ones I have heard of that says no reloads. Don't get me wrong I don't reload so not a problem for me, and I just traded my G26 for a G36. Just seems strange to me that you can use reloaded ammo (within Specs of course) for just about any handgun out there but Glocks.

Um, most (all?) gun manuals say no reloads to cover the manufacturer's butt in this lawyered-out world. It isn't just Glock.

Go here and start reading manuals: page7b . I don't think you'll find any manufacturer who doesn't void their warranty if reloads are fired. For kicks, I clicked on the Ruger GP100, Kahr MK series, and Sig P220-245, and they all mentioned the evils of reloads.

The conclusion I've come to, erroneous or not, is that kabooms are most common in Glock .40's due to
    1) stressed cases from being fired in Glock unsupported chambers
    2) .40S&W high case pressures
    3) There are a WHOLE lot of Glock .40s out there. I'd guess there are more .40 Glocks out than any other .40 handgun.

From that, I draw the conclusion that I don't wanna reload Glock-fired .40 casings. End of story.

In a world where I can choose from 9mm, 10mm, and .45acp, I have no interest whatsoever in .40S&W, so I can afford to come to that conclusion without spending days researching the subject. Ymmv.

The .40 S&W has no higher pressure specification than the 9mm standard (non NATO or +P). There is a pressure related problem with the .40 S&W though, but it's due to the limited case capacity which is especially true with heavy bullets like the 180 grain or heavier. This also makes the .40 S&W very sensitive to bullet setback. With this cartridge, only minor bullet setback can result in a huge pressure increase due to the cartridge's already limited case capacity.

Bullet setback, lead bullets (especially soft ones), poor quality reloads, weak brass, hot loads with heavy bullets all can be a factor in a Kaboom.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    OH my god! you found someone really good at photo shop cuz that can't happen in real life!!! lol
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

If everyone obeyed the 'no reloads' section of their owner's manuals there would be no reloading industry.

Ruger's manual says no reloads, but a couple years ago the striker on my 6 month old SR9 broke and I sent it back with an accompanying letter in which I estimated that I had 1200-1500 rounds of (gasp!) reloads through it. Ruger paid shipping both ways and repaired it at no charge.

I can't help adding that the only kaboom I've ever personally witnessed—the guy next to me at the range—was......wait for it.......a Glock in 40S&W.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links