Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

This is a discussion on Glock Gen 4 Kaboom within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, guys.. IF you're going to shoot any handgun with a hexagonal barrel do NOT shoot LEAD in it. If you're going to reload, use ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Glock Gen 4 Kaboom

Okay, guys.. IF you're going to shoot any handgun with a hexagonal barrel do NOT shoot LEAD in it. If you're going to reload, use jacketed or plated at the least. Some people CAN shoot lead, but they are hyper-vigilant over leading in the barrel. If you want to shoot lead, use an aftermarket. Glocks do not kaboom without help.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Pretty much all Manufactures say no Reloads.

Just an FYI to all those that think only Glocks Kaboom, Google 1911 Kaboom, all guns can go kaboom. The Firearm Blog 1911 Blown up
    Not just guns, people can kaboom too.

10 Cases of Spontaneous Human Combustion
    mlr1m likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post

That is what we call trapped gas in this neck of the woods.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post

I bet that they were carrying Glocks when they kaboomed.

Michael
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Structural failures can be divided into two categories:
    1. The force imposed was greater than the material could withstand (by a. inadequate design or b. material defect)
    2. The force imposed was greater than the material was designed to withstand.

If 1a, then we would see multiple failures of the same design. If 1b, metallurgical or close inspection would reveal defect.

Most kaboom failures fall into category 2, excessive force caused by excessive pressure, caused by either:

1. exceeding SAAMI standards because of over charged ammo.
    2. excessive pressure because of barrel obstruction.

There are a few exceptions but failure analysis generally identifies which of these causes is the culprit.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    And the beat goes on with my Glock!
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The minute somebody says, "my buddie had TWO grenade on him" I know what's going on. I've seen far too many people fire many thousands of rounds through Glocks with zero issues to believe something like that isn't user error.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Not a Glock fanboy here at all, but logic tells you - same guy, two different guns? I'd be looking at the 'same guy' part of the equation first.

Now, I don't know the fella, and I'm not pointing fingers. But, it does seem suspect. If a guy wrecks two different cars made by the same manufacturer, do you blame the car? Ironically, I guy who's done just that. Trust me, it isn't the car.:)
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh, like a new factory load can't get over/under loaded? Seems to be a lot of "factory fresh" ammo being recalled in the past couple of years. I've reloaded since '75 in all kinds of calibers, have never had a squib or kaboom, and had two misfires, both from dud primers (it happens, even with the best of manufacturers). I've had more factory duds than that.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am wondering if his first Glock blew up due to shooting lead bullets, maybe he was shooting lead bullets prior to shooting the Speer rounds in his second Kaboom? How often does he clean his guns after using lead bullets? I will admit that the only reason I'm reading this thread is because I own the same gun but after reading I feel there isn't enough information from the original poster to blame the gun. I love my gen4 23 and 27 and will keep shooting them with confidence.

Wonder what part of "shooting lead bullets invalidates your warranty" does your friend not understand?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    ...the sad part is that he is the only person I have ever seen that has experienced two Glock kabooms! Gen 27 Gen 3 and now Gen 4...
    Does he work for S & W or Springfield?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    When you combine reloading with Glocks chambered in .40 caliber -- then you throw cast lead bullets into the mix with an OEM poly barrel -- it's not a matter of *if* you'll blow the gun up but only a matter of *when*.
    Foo909 likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Ex Member
    The first 200,000 KABOOMS were just a coincidense. The last 350,000 may have some merit. Why do people still buy these when there are SOOOOOOOOO many better choices? .......oh wait. LEO's carry them so it HAS to be cool to own one.
    DaneAxe likes this.

shot like 1000's of rounds (no reloads) through my Gen 3 G27 and no problems.. i would say it's more on the user error side. Things built by humans aren't perfect and if you aren't doing your part, they will fail. I've owned things that others deemed to be complete trash and never had problems with them..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links