Saving for a new carry .45

This is a discussion on Saving for a new carry .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actually, the later Kimbers employ a firing pin safety but it is not the "Series 80" type that Colt put out, but rather the Swartz ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Saving for a new carry .45

Actually, the later Kimbers employ a firing pin safety but it is not the "Series 80" type that Colt put out, but rather the Swartz safety (also used by S&W, I believe). It achieves the same result - blocking the firing pin until the shooter is ready to fire - but does so via the grip safety, rather than by the trigger. Thus it won't "interfere" with the trigger pull, but we've had 25+ years of Series 80 triggers and good pistolsmiths have long since figured out how to make 'em just as good as Series 70s.

I'll add my vote to those suggesting staying away from the 3-inch range barrel 1911 models - at least for your first one. A hybrid model of sorts exists; Colt pioneered it some years ago called the Concealed Carry Officer's Model, of CCO. It uses the Officer's Model frame with the shorter grip, mated to the 4" barrel and slide of the Commander. Not sure if Colt currently offers a current incarnation of that model, but STI, Sig and Dan Wesson either do or at least did fairly recently. If I wanted the stay with the 1911 in .45 and go more compact than the Kimber CDP Pro II I carry, that's the route I would take. If you're OK with 9mm or .40 in a 3-inch 1911 pattern, the Springfield EMP is a great way to go - designed from the ground up to accommodate the shorter 9/40 cartridge lengths.
    basher052 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    My 3" Kimber has been flawless so far. It is a delight to carry, as well.

i would go with the 80s series just because of the fireing pin block
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

My Kimber Ultra CDP II is my daily carry and is a great weapon (the most accurate 3inch pistol that I can shoot)... I have no complaints or issues with it.
    Thanks

Thank you everyone for the advice and good info. I recently had an opportunity to shoot a friends Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II, and I was impressed with the way it shot. After firing that I fired my Colt Combat Elite (5" 1911) and I was surprised at how smoothly the Kimber shot, and how comfortable it felt in my hand. As I said before I'm leaning towards the 3", but I'm glad I have a while to save before I buy, as the posts addressing the problems with 3" 1911's have aroused my curiosity. If not a 3", maybe a 4" would be a more ideal "middle of the road" size? More reading to be done!
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    For us budget minded shooters I`ve found Rock Island weapons to be a great find. I have three, Tac,Gi & Compact all in ,45ACP. Good accurate and reasonable. Check them out.

HK45C

probably the best modern polymer .45 pistol you can buy out of the past decade.

Had a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry carry...great shooter but could not get used to the Cocked and locked.................went with a Kahr P45 and have never looked back..........thin ( like 1911) recoil is manageable............had a Glock 30 (brick) but it was sold

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I carry my ultra covert II kimber everyday. Love this gun. No issues with the safety or performance of the weapon.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

jlis914,
    For us budget minded shooters I`ve found Rock Island weapons to be a great find.
    I don't have a Kimber, but I do have a 3.5" Citadel Compact model, made by RIA. I've been very pleased w/ the gun. I got it instead of the RIA version because the Citadel had a few upgrades the RIA lacked (Novak type sights, extended slide release/safety, beavertail grip safety and target hammer/trigger). You might want to consider this gun, as well.

I can also second the earlier recommendation for the Kahr. Although I like my 1911's, I think I need further practice on it's manuel of arms. I've since added a Kahr CW45 to my rotation. I find that I'm really liking it's light weight compared to the 1911 (20 ounces vs 32 ounces).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    ...I can also second the earlier recommendation for the Kahr. Although I like my 1911's, I think I need further practice on it's manuel of arms. I've since added a Kahr CW45 to my rotation. I find that I'm really liking it's light weight compared to the 1911 (20 ounces vs 32 ounces).
    ^What Gary said!

It's not a 1911, but I think the CW45 is pretty much the gold standard for a .45 CCW. Love mine, and the only reason it's not my CCW all the time is that the size & weight of the CM9 gives it an edge on comfort & concealability.

Regards,
    Jim

http://www.kahr.com/GetDynamicImage....pg&w=652&h=556

CW45

CW4543 (3.64" Barrel)
    Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
    MSRP: $485.00
    Ships with one magazine only
    Register as an authorized dealer.

Caliber: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 6+1
    Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
    Barrel: 3.64", conventional rifling, 1 - 16.38 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 6.32"
    Height: 4.8"
    Slide Width: 1.01"
    Weight: Pistol 19.7 oz., Magazine 2 oz.
    Grips: Textured polymer
    Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
    Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide*
    Magazines: 1 - 6 rd, Stainless
    >> Guide to Kahr Magazines

With this said my TP45 out shoots every Kimber I have ever owned. Now I sound like I ain't-Kimber I am not I still own one but for CCW Kahr is the ticket. Kimber certainly are wonderful guns look great and they are good shooting guns to boot. The Kahr is designed specifically for CCW.

Once again, thanks to all the input received regarding my newest venture. After much thought and having handled several different compact and sub-compact .45's, I finally chose and put a deposit on a new Glock 30SF. Can't wait to bring it home!
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

Looks like a great choice you made Sir.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for all that say about shorter being.....
    everyone is entitled to an opinion(im purtty sure my spelchuck dun sewercided) but to
    your question---ive had a defender and ultra ll; both were 1.5" at 25 yards and ate everything just fine.

but i've succume to arthritis and wented a heavier gun---Sig C3 made 10/2010 and had perhaps 2 boxes through it. in 5 days i've put 600 assorted shapes, jacketed and lead with only induced faliours. and its deadnuts acccurate and carries as easy as the 3" defender.

don't know about you but id rather have 8 rounds of Auto COLT Projectile than some
    rama rama dum dum round
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links