Saving for a new carry .45

This is a discussion on Saving for a new carry .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, forgive me if my first is a bit long-winded, but I'm searching for advice. I am currently saving for a new carry gun, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Saving for a new carry .45

Saving for a new carry .45

Hello everyone, forgive me if my first is a bit long-winded, but I'm searching for advice. I am currently saving for a new carry gun, and I would very much like to get a 1911-style .45, and the one I have my eye on specifically is the Kimber Ultra Carry II in stainless steel, 3" barrell. I've read some mixed reviews on the differences in safety mechanisms between first and second generation Kimbers, from what I read first gen Kimbers use Colt series 70 mechanisms and second gens use series 80. Is there one that is better than the other from a carry standpoint? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback and info that could guide me in my purchase.
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

2. Remove Ads

I think Kimbers are nice guns. But here comes the however, the Kahr TP45 in my opinion is s superior weapon.

The trigger travel is smooth as silk and safe for self defense. Single action trigger on a 1911 is very light one in my opinion one is less likely to have a inadvertent discharge with the Kahr. But do not think the Kahr is hard to shoot just the opposite it is consistent and smooth.

The Kimber is tight and not as tolerant as a Kahr of dirt and grit.

Kahr is more concealable.

Accuracy is about the same I have both guns.

Kimber is nicer looking and nicer looking than the Kahr. Probably more romantic if you will.

Cost Kahr is less.

Both are good companies with great customer service.

Both made in the USA.

Do what I did buy both. But you will carry the Kahr more.

I don't think it really matters what series of gun you get. Just get the gun that feels good in your hands. I don't think you could go wrong with any 1911…Well maybe Taurus.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I wouldn't want anything shorter than 4" in a 1911 .45.

Quote Originally Posted by jlis914 View Post
    Hello everyone, forgive me if my first is a bit long-winded, but I'm searching for advice. I am currently saving for a new carry gun, and I would very much like to get a 1911-style .45, and the one I have my eye on specifically is the Kimber Ultra Carry II in stainless steel, 3" barrell. I've read some mixed reviews on the differences in safety mechanisms between first and second generation Kimbers, from what I read first gen Kimbers use Colt series 70 mechanisms and second gens use series 80. Is there one that is better than the other from a carry standpoint? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback and info that could guide me in my purchase.
    kimber is more of a show gun then a everyday carry i have a sig 1911 it shoots well but id say out of the two for a edc id pick a colt

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Me either. I carry my 5" Kimber all the time. However......

Welcome to the forum! Be careful asking for advice here, for you will surely get it. Get what you want.

I have 3 1911 in 45acp,Springfield 1911-A1 5",Ria 1911 45 compact 3.5",Colt Combat Commander XSE 4.25",I carried the RIA for at least a year,had a great trigger right out of the box,accurate and dependable and only cost 369.00.The Springfield is mainly a range/Home defense gun.The Colt is my EDC and after adding big dot nite sights it cost 3 times what the RIA cost,plus the trigger sucked,sent it in for a 4# trigger job.A 4# trigger is not too light for SD ,not when people are dropping 3.5# disconnecters in their Glocks.It's called trigger discipline.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I spell my 45ACP's...C O L T ! I do Love the Les Baers and Ed Brown's, but I'm just a middle class working slob!(LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    For carry get a commander sized possibly alloy framed weapon. Go with steel if you can handle the weight, but if not the alloy will work - just last less time (fewer rounds). Best scenario, get a steel for shooting and an alloy for carry that are otherwise identical.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a Scandium S&W 1911 (Gunsite edition), 4.25" Commander and love it! The gun carries well due to the light weight and shoots like a dream. I also have a Colt Night Officer, 3.5" on a commander frame. Also a nice gun, but weighs a ton more due to steel. The S&W E-series has some nice selections in steel or scandium and they also have a commander model with bobbed mainspring housing (grip). Worth checking out the S&W lineup, as they have many 1911 variations to choose from......even a 3 inch, Pro Series 1911 if you so desire. Merry Christmas!

Kimber experience

I have quite a number of Colt 1911s and one Kimber, the Pro CDP model with 4 inch barrel. My experience with the Kimber has been fine, and the gun has worked reliably. I also have a 3 inch 1911, the Colt Defender model. In general, I find the 3 inch guns to be easier to conceal than the 4 inch, mainly from the shorter Officer-length grip which is less likely to print on your cover garment. But the Kimbers are very good looking guns and mine has some standard features for carry that Colts generally lack, such as melting of sharp edges, front strap checkering and night sights.

As for the Series 70 vs. Series 80 safeties, many feel that this influences the trigger pull, with the Series 70 being slightly smoother. Personally I can't tell the difference, and I have guns in both designs. Series 80 seems fine to me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have had many officer size 1911's that were just as trust worthy as the full size 1911's.When I have been carrying a 1911 as of late, it has been my Para P12 Limited which is a double stack officers size(3 1/2 inch barrel) 1911.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Springfield Mil-Spec 5" 39 ounce
    Spring2.jpg

S&W Scandium 4.25" 28 ounce

S&W 1911-SC.jpg

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I've done a lot of reading and see more often than not it seems like most feel that 4" is the shortest you should go on a 1911. I just bought my first carry gun/gun and went with a Kimber Pro Raptor. Handle as many as you can and see what feels best to you. If you are set on a Kimber then go for it. As long as you have a good holster and a good belt weight should be no problem.

+1 Do some research on the risk of carrying a 3" 1911. Most of the problems with 1911 seem to be focused on the shortened barrel 1911's.
    Magnum likes this.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links