Just got an M&P9... Discouraging and disappointing so far.

This is a discussion on Just got an M&P9... Discouraging and disappointing so far. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A bit ago I was deciding between m&p9c and glock 19. *Then I saw the full size carry and range kit (3 mags, holster, double ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Just got an M&P9... Discouraging and disappointing so far.

A bit ago I was deciding between m&p9c and glock 19. *Then I saw the full size carry and range kit (3 mags, holster, double mag holster, uplulu) on buds for under 500, so I happily pounced. *I shot 90 rounds, but to my dismay, I had at least a dozen light strikes. *On top of that, all of the brass was weakly popping straight back into my face. *I'm not exactly sure what to attribute it to, but it's pretty discouraging. *There are, though, a few mitigating circumstances:

1. *My indoor range has steel targets, and it requires non lead frangible rounds. *These are "sinterfire" rounds made of compressed metal powder; they kinda look like unjacketed lead bullets, but upon impact with steel plates, they just poof away. *These are not glazer safety slugs or self defense frangible rounds, but a range round. *I believe that they are made by a small company not too far from here. *So they are not "factory rounds" per say, but they aren't some cheap reloads either.They sell them at range.
    2. *That said, I have shot maybe a thousand of these 9mm rounds with other guns and don't remember any issues. * Plus, there were plenty of other people at range, and they seemed to be happily blazing away.
    3. The first box had all but one of the light strikes. *I think it also had the weak, straight back ejection
    4. *The second box had 1 light strike, but every single round just squirted weakly and straight back.
    5. I field stripped and examined the gun, but didn't give it a full cleaning. *That said, there were no fte/ftf or jams, so I don't think it's so much a "dirty gun" issue.

I'm hoping that it's a bad batch of ammo, but I'm not that hopeful. *I will go to a standard range next and see how it does with American eagle. *

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

Couple of things;

New guns need to be cleaned and re-lubed. Yup right out ofnthe box. This is the first thing I do with new gun.

Could it be gummed up and so the firing pin may be not striking well.

The slide could be sticky fornthe same reason.

Clean the gun up try again. You may have better results.

Weird I never cleaned my guns right out of the box. Never had a problem with my Glocks ,Springfield or Colts, right outta the box. The only gun I've has problems with was my Walther but it just didn't like the brand of bullet. Everything else shot good. JME. But try cleaning and lubing and see

when I got both of my M&P's (40 and 45), I just went straight ot the range and shot the hell out of them, like 250 rounds the first day. I then shot 100 every other week for a month, then go about once a month, or so. Dead accurate, and goes bang 100% of the time. I didn't even clean them the first time until 700 rounds.

Go to a different range and try some FMJ rounds. I don't think It would be gummed up enough to give you that much problems. I didn't have any issues with my S&W SD9, it shot 200 round perfectly. I then cleaned it and fired 300 more last week.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Potential ammo issue aside, I am a firm believer in always cleaning and lubing a new gun properly before firing it.
    TN_Mike, Old School, sgb and 1 others like this.

Get some Gun Scrubber and blast the Slide and frame since all of it is made Synthetic Safe now. Make sure to blast inside the firing pin channel on the slide. Lube(according to owner's manual) and re-assemble and I almost guarantee this will solve 99% of your problem. Don't over lube and do not get lube in the firing pin channel.

Agreed. You want lube, not preservative. My M&P is chambered for 357 SIG. It is easily my favorite carry gun. Rip and strip your weapon, clean it with a good solvent, dry it, and then give it a coat of a proper lube. Then try some hardball. Should you still have trouble, rest assured that Smith & Wesson will take care of you. The M&P is an excellent weapon.
    oneshot and Spec like this.

and if that does not work send it back for repair , I have 5 M&Ps and no malfunctions yet

I don't know how many times I've seen people having new guns jam and after asking if they cleaned and lubed them it's usually no,I normally carry my cleaning kit with me and end up giving it a quick scrub and lube and reassemble,then 99% of the time the gun runs unless it has a bigger issue.I reload and ran into a bunch of hard primers once,My XD9 that has never had any problems was getting FTFire,after striking the primers on the dud rounds twice they would fire.I wouldn't blame the gun until I shot some other ammo.You can also remove the slide and preesing up on the firing pin stop press the back of the firing pin to make sure it is coming thru the bolt face without any resistance other than the spring tension
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    when I got both of my M&P's (40 and 45), I just went straight ot the range and shot the hell out of them, like 250 rounds the first day. I then shot 100 every other week for a month, then go about once a month, or so. Dead accurate, and goes bang 100% of the time. I didn't even clean them the first time until 700 rounds.
    To the OP... sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have a FS M&P9, and have not had one problem at all. I've got about 1200 rds through it so far and like slave.... I didn't clean mine til the near 1,000 mark.

Sounds abnormal to me. Hope things improve for you.

I'll definately give it a good cleaning, but I was hoping to have an m&p that ate everything without complaint (I field stripped and it looked gunk free before I shot it, and the slide had a smooth action) I've already have a p380 that's been to kahr twice now, and after 750 rounds still has problems (ftrtb first two times, after replacing ejector, slide, and barrel, now it prematurely locks open). I'm losing confidence in these autoloaders. :(

Never had any problems with my m&p. I'd get a new range, I wouldn't go to any range that required me to use their own specialty ammo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yup..............my suggestion would be to clean the gun thoroughly and buy a box of real ammo..............then get back to us.

My M&P has never had an issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links