Defensive Carry banner

Local range only allows TMJ

3K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  XDM40cal 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new LC9. There is brand new indoor range 4 miles from my house but they require that I use only their TMJ ammo. Is this normal? I live in the city limits so I can't practice in the backyard, but I want to break-in and practice using at least in part the ammo I will carry.

Should I just find a different range farther away?

#4 ·
Usually ranges that require you shoot only their ammo is because their ammo is significantly higher than buying it at Walmart and some other stores.I would do some research and find another range that allows you to shoot whatever you want as long as it's safe

#5 ·
First off, welcome to the forum.

Most ranges that require you use their ammo are out to rape you. They buy in bulk quantity at the lowest price, then charge premium prices for their ammo.

As others have said, you need to run what your EDC round is going to be through your gun to insure the gun functions properly with it. Just because it works well in one gun, doesn't mean it will function properly in another gun of even the same make and model.

#6 ·
Having to buy range-suppied ammo is not too uncommon. Definitely want to find a place to use the SD ammo of your choice. Your local one may be okay for punching holes in paper.

#7 ·
I agree with everyone else's thoughts about any range that forces you to buy and use their ammo because they're not only sticking it in you for more money by exclusively using only their reloaded, over-priced, low-quality, low-velocity ammo - but you'll never be able to do any realistic practice with accuracy and associated recoil unless you can use the ammo you'll be carrying.

I once fired my .45ACP 1911 at such a range, and their ammo contained such a low amount of powder that I could literally feel a double-recoil from the round actually firing - then another when the slide stopped on its travel to the rear. Pistol barely functioned, and I could literally see the bullet going to the target in an arcing manner like point-shooting a BB gun.

Some ranges won't allow large caliber magnum handguns or certain types of high-penetration ammo because of liability issues over their bullet traps not being substantial enough to handle such, but most of the ranges that limit everyone to their exclusive ammo are simply out to get in your pocket a little deeper.

#8 ·
Ok, let's see. That will be $25 for the box of ammo, $5 for the targets, $10 for the ear plugs, $15 for the eye protection, and $25 for a half hour of range time. That totals up to $80, enjoy your shooting, and come back often! :gah:

#9 ·
There are shooting ranges that just require using their ammo when you RENT a gun--- and it is new, main brand stuff. Go elsewhere! And welcome to the best gun forum on this planet!:danceban:

#14 ·
They stuck a magnet on the top to see if it has a copper washed steel jacket, not a steel core mind you, but a steel jacket. Steel jackets beat up the backstops much more that copper jackets, and they will attract a magnet.

To the OP, find a friend outside of the city limits and shoot there, or just hit up a forest road, as long as your state allows that and you have a good backstop. In AZ as long as you are a 1/4 mile from the nearest building and are in national forest land you can shoot, much nicer than a range IMO.

#12 ·
I simply don't go to ranges that won't let me use the ammo of my choice. This is particularly true with a new toy. I want to run at least 100 rounds of the self-defense ammo through the gun to make sure it works reliably and accurately.

#13 ·
-
Find another range.

As Philly Boy pointed out, some ranges require you to use their ammo in their rental firearms. My range is one of them, but the only limitations they have on bringing ammo is no aluminum, & no exotic rounds.

#15 ·
Sound like a rip off. I don't mind using a range's ammo to shoot one of their guns. I can understand them not wanting any reload blowing up their guns.
To be forced to use their ammo in your gun just sounds like a way to make some money.

Unless the stalls are free with ammo purchase. Then you can shoot a box over a few hours time and get your moneys worth.

#17 ·
There are two legitimate reasons for ranges to limit ammunition; damage to backstops and lead particulates.

The TMJ ammo sounds like an attempt at controlling lead in the air. However, I should think TMJ ammo from other sources allowed. No doubt there's a profit motive somewhere.

Most of the indoor ranges where I've shot didn't want FMJ ammo used on the basis it wore out the back stops. Not particularly true, but well established myth.

And to echo some of the others, here; Yes, you need to find a place to try out your 'own' ammo. Make sure it works, make sure it prints correctly and make sure you can handle it.

#18 ·
Just purchased a new LC9. There is brand new indoor range 4 miles from my house but they require that I use only their TMJ ammo. Is this normal? I live in the city limits so I can't practice in the backyard, but I want to break-in and practice using at least in part the ammo I will carry.

Should I just find a different range farther away?

I should!

... and welcome to the forum :wave:

#19 ·
If a gun functions well with TMJ, it will probably shoot modern JHP ammo just fine. So, having said that, I would ask if you can bring your own TMJ, if you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Also, maybe their cost for their TMJ is reasonable, so check and compare and go from there.

#20 ·
Modern and regulation compliant indoor ranges have very extensive airhandling system to draw off propelant gases and lead particulates..on the fireing line and at the trap end. If the fees are reasonable, and you can find TMJ stuff to burn. Will they allow plated lead ?? the local range in Whatcom Co sells very reasonable TMJ (tonnage purchase) and stocks it for most all loadings. Great first post..welcome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.