Local range only allows TMJ

This is a discussion on Local range only allows TMJ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased a new LC9. There is brand new indoor range 4 miles from my house but they require that I use only their TMJ ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local range only allows TMJ

Local range only allows TMJ

Just purchased a new LC9. There is brand new indoor range 4 miles from my house but they require that I use only their TMJ ammo. Is this normal? I live in the city limits so I can't practice in the backyard, but I want to break-in and practice using at least in part the ammo I will carry.

Should I just find a different range farther away?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay2 View Post
    Just purchased a new LC9.
    YES, you must verify that your carry ammo will function properly in your gun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I would probably treat the local range as a once-in-a-while place. It's great that its so local, but like sigman stated...you need to use your carry ammo to be confident in its reliability.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Usually ranges that require you shoot only their ammo is because their ammo is significantly higher than buying it at Walmart and some other stores.I would do some research and find another range that allows you to shoot whatever you want as long as it's safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Most ranges that require you use their ammo are out to rape you. They buy in bulk quantity at the lowest price, then charge premium prices for their ammo.

As others have said, you need to run what your EDC round is going to be through your gun to insure the gun functions properly with it. Just because it works well in one gun, doesn't mean it will function properly in another gun of even the same make and model.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having to buy range-suppied ammo is not too uncommon. Definitely want to find a place to use the SD ammo of your choice. Your local one may be okay for punching holes in paper.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with everyone else's thoughts about any range that forces you to buy and use their ammo because they're not only sticking it in you for more money by exclusively using only their reloaded, over-priced, low-quality, low-velocity ammo - but you'll never be able to do any realistic practice with accuracy and associated recoil unless you can use the ammo you'll be carrying.

I once fired my .45ACP 1911 at such a range, and their ammo contained such a low amount of powder that I could literally feel a double-recoil from the round actually firing - then another when the slide stopped on its travel to the rear. Pistol barely functioned, and I could literally see the bullet going to the target in an arcing manner like point-shooting a BB gun.

Some ranges won't allow large caliber magnum handguns or certain types of high-penetration ammo because of liability issues over their bullet traps not being substantial enough to handle such, but most of the ranges that limit everyone to their exclusive ammo are simply out to get in your pocket a little deeper.

Ok, let's see. That will be $25 for the box of ammo, $5 for the targets, $10 for the ear plugs, $15 for the eye protection, and $25 for a half hour of range time. That totals up to $80, enjoy your shooting, and come back often!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There are shooting ranges that just require using their ammo when you RENT a gun--- and it is new, main brand stuff. Go elsewhere! And welcome to the best gun forum on this planet!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Ok, let's see. That will be $25 for the box of ammo, $5 for the targets, $10 for the ear plugs, $15 for the eye protection, and $25 for a half hour of range time. That totals up to $80, enjoy your shooting, and come back often!
    Call 911 and report a 'robbery'.

To the OP...find a new range.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My local range lets me shoot whatever I want, but they request to look at it first. Last time, the guy stuck a magnet into my ammo container to test it...not sure what they are looking for.
    Brian
    Walther PPS
    Glock 19
    Smith & Wesson 642
    Kahr CM9
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay2 View Post
    Just purchased a new LC9. There is brand new indoor range 4 miles from my house but they require that I use only their TMJ ammo. Is this normal? I live in the city limits so I can't practice in the backyard, but I want to break-in and practice using at least in part the ammo I will carry.

I simply don't go to ranges that won't let me use the ammo of my choice. This is particularly true with a new toy. I want to run at least 100 rounds of the self-defense ammo through the gun to make sure it works reliably and accurately.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Find another range.

As Philly Boy pointed out, some ranges require you to use their ammo in their rental firearms. My range is one of them, but the only limitations they have on bringing ammo is no aluminum, & no exotic rounds.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianRx74 View Post
    My local range lets me shoot whatever I want, but they request to look at it first. Last time, the guy stuck a magnet into my ammo container to test it...not sure what they are looking for.
    They stuck a magnet on the top to see if it has a copper washed steel jacket, not a steel core mind you, but a steel jacket. Steel jackets beat up the backstops much more that copper jackets, and they will attract a magnet.

To the OP, find a friend outside of the city limits and shoot there, or just hit up a forest road, as long as your state allows that and you have a good backstop. In AZ as long as you are a 1/4 mile from the nearest building and are in national forest land you can shoot, much nicer than a range IMO.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sound like a rip off. I don't mind using a range's ammo to shoot one of their guns. I can understand them not wanting any reload blowing up their guns.
    To be forced to use their ammo in your gun just sounds like a way to make some money.

Unless the stalls are free with ammo purchase. Then you can shoot a box over a few hours time and get your moneys worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links