Sig p238 - any owners out there?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 - any owners out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have one that is my EDC. I need more magazines for it, thats the downfall is the cost of the mags. I use a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p238 - any owners out there?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have one that is my EDC. I need more magazines for it, thats the downfall is the cost of the mags. I use a Crossbreed microtuck with it and forget I am wearing it.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

With a pocket holster, I just drop it in and go. Safety is not coming off. Gun is not going to fire. It's a SIG, so it'll run and is accurate. If you are used to a single action, then you really can't ask for more from a 380.

When they did not put an ambi safety on the gun, those morons at Sig excluded abou10% of the market. Just saw an article on the Colt Pocketlite 380 and, lo and behold, it aint got no ambi safety either.....

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Trigger pull is way too heavy. But otherwise I love it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I have the Desert P238, with ambi safety & Hogue grips. The wife has the Lady, just 'cause she loves red.

450 rounds through mine & it is beginning to loosen up a bit. I am used to the LC9 trigger, so the Sig trigger is SWEET.

We had one of the LCPs but did not care for the recoil. Recoil on the P238 is minimal.

sent from my sending device

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    What do you guys like and dislike about your guns? Thinking of getting one for "me" (for wife really, but she won't carry it lol). Specifically, how is the reliability and accuracy, and trigger?
    Reliability? Mine has never had a misfire.
    Accuracy? Good. (I'm not a great shot)
    Trigger? S/A, breaks nicely.

It's the perfect firearm for a lady. (or guy)
    1. small.
    2. mild recoil.
    3. slide locks back on last round.
    4. real night sights.
    5. easy slide to rack.
    6. looks good.

You wife will keep it.

Downside? Single action only. Some don't want to carry a S/A with one in the chamber.
    The safety is VERY positive, I can't imagine it accidentally coming off.
    But, I'd always use a holster that covers the safety.
    The other option is to rack the slide to chamber a round when needed, or
    carry with one in the chamber and the hammer down. IMO, it's easier and faster to rack the slide as the hammer is smallish.

My wife carries one and she loves it. She has shot 1911s for 45 years (tomorrow is anniversary) and is comfortable with SA and carrying cocked and locked. I notice when we go to the range for a family day, everyone wants to shoot a mag or two through it.

I use original SIG mags and no problems. I have some quite old Colt Mustang mags that function flawlessly. I have a friend who purchased new Colt mags for his and they work fine. The only problem I have had is I don't reload .380, so I have to buy range fodder for it. I also have a Mustang, so it gets fed also.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    When they did not put an ambi safety on the gun, those morons at Sig excluded abou10% of the market. Just saw an article on the Colt Pocketlite 380 and, lo and behold, it aint got no ambi safety either.....
    The P238 is now available with an ambi safety.

Distinguished Member
    My GF and I both have P238 EQ's and absolutely love them. Lots of round through them and zero malfunctions. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot (unlike many other pocket 380's). The first production run had some issues, but those have long been resolved... So if you buy, buy a new one... Not old stock that's been on a shelf for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I like it enough that I'm seriously thinking of calling off my search for an acceptable Micro-9 and buying my own P238.
    Why not just get the P928? Basically the same gun in 9mm. Only very, very slightly longer slide/barrel and less than an ounce (empty weight) heavier. Same height, thickness, etc as the P238.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Why not just get the P928? Basically the same gun in 9mm. Only very, very slightly longer slide/barrel and less than an ounce (empty weight) heavier. Same height, thickness, etc as the P238.
    I thought about that. In fact I had a P938 on order. I may yet buy it. But I don't think it's going to be much fun to shoot. One of the huge appeals of the 238 is how pleasant it is to shoot and how easy it is to get second and third shots into COM as double and triple taps. It's a micro pistol that shoots like a much bigger gun.

I'm having trouble convincing myself the P938 will shoot like that. The 9mmP cartridge has more recoil than the .380 by quite a bit. The P938 may be an over powered version of the design that is much harder to shoot well.

Shot placement is my number one criteria. But I'll keep an open mind.

I picked up an M&P Shield that I took to the range yesterday. Very surprised and pleased with how pleasant that is to shoot, and how accurate I was able to be with double taps after just one practice session. Mostly just getting used to the trigger. It's a good trigger but different from my Glocks.

I'll keep an open mind about the P938 but the P238 is a known quantity, and it's excellent. I want the one that's all black with rosewood grips. Two short magazines. No ambi safety.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    My 238 was one of the first. Serial number in the 800's. It needed an immediate trip to Sig for replacement of nearly every spring in the gun. The next 500+ rounds were flawless. But once it started acting up with fte's I could never get past it. I replaced the recoil spring twice and still couldn't get past fte's I narrowed it down to specific ammo but this is ammo that eat ate flawlessly for a year or so. My concern grew around the question of when it would decide to not eject the next type of ammo?

I've never felt comfortable with the 380 caliber but the old saying of the gun you've got versus the one you left at home...... But when reliability was added to the equation, I called it quits. Too bad. I really liked that Sig but confidence is extremely important and I'd lost mine.

Good luck. They're pretty nice little guns.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I thought about that. In fact I had a P938 on order. I may yet buy it. But I don't think it's going to be much fun to shoot. Fitch
    Sig P938 First Shots At Range - YouTube

My wife carries her's every day! Great little gun!

FDE
    Great gun! I've had my p238 for a little over a year now, I shoot it often and have zero malfunctions to date. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links