Sig p238 - any owners out there?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 - any owners out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ericb327 Trigger pull is way too heavy. But otherwise I love it. In my opinion, the heavier trigger is a good thing ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p238 - any owners out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Trigger pull is way too heavy. But otherwise I love it.
    In my opinion, the heavier trigger is a good thing for single action gun intended for concealed carry/defensive use. Under the influence of adrenalin the trigger will be light as a feather, but easily controllable. A truly light trigger increases the odds of a negligent or unintended discharge.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    My 238 was one of the first. Serial number in the 800's. It needed an immediate trip to Sig for replacement of nearly every spring in the gun. The next 500+ rounds were flawless. But once it started acting up with fte's I could never get past it. I replaced the recoil spring twice and still couldn't get past fte's I narrowed it down to specific ammo but this is ammo that eat ate flawlessly for a year or so. My concern grew around the question of when it would decide to not eject the next type of ammo?

I've never felt comfortable with the 380 caliber but the old saying of the gun you've got versus the one you left at home...... But when reliability was added to the equation, I called it quits. Too bad. I really liked that Sig but confidence is extremely important and I'd lost mine.

Good luck. They're pretty nice little guns.
    According to a review I saw, the reliability problems are all with the early models, such as yours. The reviewer said to be sure the serial number begins with "27A..." and you will have a very reliable little Sig.

I have one and I love it. A buddy of mine came out shooting and brought his LCP. After he dot mine he was floored. He said it's definitely worth the couple hundred more. After I shot his, I definitely agreed. The night sights are great. I got the tactical model with Hogue grips, laser, and extended magazine. Well worth it.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

I love mine. I carry my G27 95% of the time but the P238 gets the call the other times. The trigger is great and it's accurate.

I have the laser P-238 and have had feed problems with Winchester HP. All Remington FMJ and Powerball HP ammo works fine. To do it again, I would omit the laser. It is just one more step to turn on the laser while the night sights are quite good. I carry it in a Remora IWB, locked and cocked. The Remora does not work well for pocket carry because the holster comes out of the pocket with the weapon. The seven shot mags have a little extra grip and are worth the money. Someone with large hands will always have a problem with small autos. My friend does not like it at all. I have smaller hands and I am sure 90 percent of the women would like it. Except for the Winchester HP I have not had a feed or extraction problem at all. I typically shoot every Friday with the P-238 and my normal carry S&W Airweight .38. There is a transition problem in that the 38 does not have a safety and I am very familiar with drawing and shooting it. The safety on the P-238 is something I miss occasionally. If I shot it as much as the 38, it would not be a problem. I hope this helps.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Here's my p238 equinox. I like the ergonomics, fit & finish, and sights. No malfunctions but if there was one thing I would change, the trigger could be better. Pretty stiff wall on the trigger and it could break a little cleaner. Unlike my other equinox which shoots like a dream. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    There is a transition problem in that the 38 does not have a safety and I am very familiar with drawing and shooting it. The safety on the P-238 is something I miss occasionally. If I shot it as much as the 38, it would not be a problem. I hope this helps.
    Make it a point from now on in your training to ALWAYS "sweep" the safety when drawing, no matter what you are carrying, thumb safety or not. It takes absolutely no extra draw time or effort, so if you can do this enough to where it becomes second nature, you won't be missing that safety on the P238 anymore.

I have a p238 and a Sig C3 1911. the p238 is very accurate at 7 yards, not bad at 25 yds (most misses were probably due to my eyesight ;) The p238's laser helps a lot and is very visible in daylight as long as the batteries are OK.

had one, liked everything about it EXCEPT - that my wife didn't carry it.
    Traded it for a ruger GP100 - love it!

I do miss the P-238 when I want to drop a gun in the pocket.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Here's my P238HD. Great little .380.

Quote Originally Posted by RowlandP View Post
    Here's my P238HD. Great little .380.
    Dang, got enough crap trap goop on that barrel?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Although I don't own this gun I LOVE the looks and feel of it and think it would be an ideal companion piece for anyone who carries 1911's. HOWEVER, the only con I have with this and the Kahr P380 that I do own and carry is the .380 round. Please don't groan but it does bother me when I carry my Kahr that I'm only carrying a .380. I've heard it all about placement, wouldn't want to stand in front of it etc. and I get it, but, I think we should carry the largest round we can carry well. I have a Kahr K9 I can drill holes with out to 20 yards and it's easy to carry and conceal. I switch out to a pocket .380 when I choose to go with a tucked shirt. For me a revolver in the pocket is too bulky because of the cylinder. that's why the pocket .380 is so popular, it's flat and feels better in the pocket.

So I love this and have considered getting one but I already have a P380 and I'm still not 100% comfortable with the .380.

if there's another CON, it's the cost of .380 ammo. If you get this, I would recommend you consider reloading or start stocking up. If there's a run up in ammo pricing .380 seems to get hit hard and fast.

God Bless
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrprich View Post
    good review but at 28 seconds and again later you wave your left hand in front of the muzzle after you use the SLIDE STOP as a RELEASE.
    good camera work but please remember the basics.
    ...of course in a fight you release any way that the situation calls for, but in practice is better to be kind to the gun.FWIW
    -----------------
    many speak of the recoil but please tell the audience if yours is a 15 oz alum lower or 20 oz steel

--i still have and carry my OMC ( became AMT). it has the palm safety which i like.
    though there have been no issues with the Sig set up so it is not an issue.

Gideon...spot on about reloading for the 380.
    a Lee 4 hole turret with scale ( dillion) calipers and dies can be had for under $300.
    replicate SD rounds for 18 cents, target for 12 cents.
    pays for itself in less than 1000 rounds.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My wife and I have a Sig P238 Nitron that has been absolutely perfect. In the 400-500 rounds we’ve put through it there has not be a single failure. My wife decided she wanted a Sig P238 HD for the extra weight it has. It arrived yesterday and after cleaning and lubing it we hurried to the range with a couple boxes of 100 count WWB and a handful of Critical Defense and Buffalo Bore. The Nitron was again flawless. The HD on the other hand had about 8-10 failure to extracts. The shells would fall freely from the chamber once I removed the mag and pulled the slide back. A visual look at the extractor and a comparison to the Nitron’s extractor revealed nothing of interest.

When I got home I found in the mail the 12 lb. recoil spring I had earlier ordered for the Nitron. I cleaned and re-lubed the HD, installed the 12 lb. spring and went back to the range this morning. I ran about 150 WWB and 50 Critical Defense and 16 Buffalo Bores through it and it was FLAWLESS!!! We’ll put a few more through it later today. I plan on calling Sig Monday morning and see if they will send me another recoil spring.

That’s my little Sig P238 HD adventure.

I have a Sig p238 and it is a great little gun. It shoots well at the range and I love the quality of the little handgun. Hitting metal targets at 25 yds is no problem and it is reliable with everything I have put through it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links