Sig p238 - any owners out there?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 - any owners out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mhunter Dang, got enough crap trap goop on that barrel? Hmmm. Do you think I need more?...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p238 - any owners out there?

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Dang, got enough crap trap goop on that barrel?
    Hmmm. Do you think I need more?

2. Remove Ads

The P238 is the reason I changed my mind about owning a .380. After a day with a Taurus TCP, I swore off the idea of them. Bought the Sig on Saturday and I'm super happy. Compared to the rest, it doesn't even feel like I'm holding a .380.

I had always been intrigued with the P238 because of the size, weight, and attractiveness. So when Buds had it at a fantastic price about a month ago, I bought one with rosewood grips. I've been extremely busy this summer, and sadly hadn't had time to shoot it, until today! It was great! It was just a little snappy (a bit less than my LCR), which was to be expected because of its small size. But it was perfectly manageable - and the accuracy was fantastic! I was centering on the target at 20 yards! That may not be impressive to some, but I usually struggle with accuracy. My only complaint is that the magazine only holds six rounds!

i have been carrying mine for several months in a Desantis cozy partner IWB and love it. It conceals well and I hardly know its there. It is fun to shoot at the range and shoots well. Never had any problems with it at all. As said in previous posts the early versions had problems, the last couple of years are fine, so get a new or newer one. You will not be unhappy with this one !

My wife has the 238 SAS and loves it. Perfect for her small hands, easy to rack and release the slide, fun to shoot and most important(for her anyway) it's PURTY. She has an LCR and a new SDs but the little SIG gets the lion share of here attention.

No real downsides other than possibly single action and the crazy expensive magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyF View Post
    and the crazy expensive magazines.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Why not just get the P928? Basically the same gun in 9mm. Only very, very slightly longer slide/barrel and less than an ounce (empty weight) heavier. Same height, thickness, etc as the P238.
    I did. I have both.

sent from ...
    stancehold likes this.

Sorry for the newbie question, am familiar with DA striker, and SA/DA sigs, but if you carried this a round in the chamber but not cocked, you have to manually pull the trigger back, correct? You cannot pull the trigger to cycle the hammer to cock and release like the DA part of the DA/SA. Am I understanding this correctly?

Standard way to carry would be cocked, with safety on?

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question, am familiar with DA striker, and SA/DA sigs, but if you carried this a round in the chamber but not cocked, you have to manually pull the trigger back, correct? You cannot pull the trigger to cycle the hammer to cock and release like the DA part of the DA/SA. Am I understanding this correctly?

Same exact manual of arms as a 1911.

To answer the original question...yes!

I came to realize that due to my job and related attire I simply can't carry anything larger than a pocket auto. Even my J-Frame was too bulky and out of the question. So 90% of the time during the week I will be carrying said small auto...so the importance level of this particular carry weapon is high. I owe it to myself to settle for nothing less than the best in this category, and that, to me, is the Sig Sauer P238!

Some may not like the external safety or the fact that it's SAO, and those are valid points you need to address. But the way this firearm is constructed (all metal, SAO w/external safety) allows for an extremely pleasant shooting and accurate pocket rocket. Opinions are common and not worth much, but mine is that the P238 is THE golden standard of what a modern pocket pistol should be for the demanding, experienced pistol shopper. I only wish I'd gotten one in the first place instead of the roundabout way I ended up with it.
    stancehold likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Opinions are common and not worth much, but mine is that the P238 is THE golden standard of what a modern pocket pistol should be for the demanding, experienced pistol shopper.
    Mmmmmm...I wouldn't go that far. The Kahr PM9 (or MK9 for the all metal fans) is a pretty darned good SMALL pocket pistol that fires a "full house" self-defense cartridge in 9mm. +P is okay in it, too.

That said, I still want one of these SIGs. My pocket .380 is a Kel-Tec P3AT, which is a complete POS compared to gems like this SIG and the pocket Kahrs.

I held the P238 for the first time today, what a beauty! I carry my LCP everywhere all the time, its kinda rare that I actually carry my CW9 in the summer. I'm actually thinking of selling the LCP and CW9 and replacing them with a P238. I cant stand the LCP and I'd prefer a carry piece that I enjoy shooting and one that I can be proud of. I have larger guns that I carry OWB but I dont think a t-shirt covers them well. Sweet little pistol, I'm leaning towards the Extreme model or SAS.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    I have the laser P-238 and have had feed problems with Winchester HP. All Remington FMJ and Powerball HP ammo works fine. .... The seven shot mags have a little extra grip and are worth the money. Someone with large hands will always have a problem with small autos.
    Interesting. We can feed my wife's Winchester white box, but not Remington. Still haven't found a hollow point that will feed. We have had several FTF and FTEs in the first 500 rounds.

Shoots as accurate at close range as any full sized weapon. Love it. My wife loves it

You are 100% correct about the 7 round extended mag. Better for my big hands. I still have a problem with my thumb hitting the mag release button while firing. I have very large hands. (That's why I have a Glock 19 G4 for myself)

If we could find range and carry ammo that we are more comfortable with (fewer FTF and FTEs) I'd be a lot happier.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1003 View Post
    Interesting. We can feed my wife's Winchester white box, but not Remington. Still haven't found a hollow point that will feed. We have had several FTF and FTEs in the first 500 rounds.Shoots as accurate at close range as any full sized weapon. Love it. My wife loves itOYou are 100% correct about the 7 round extended mag. Better for my big hands. I still have a problem with my thumb hitting the mag release button while firing. I have very large hands. (That's why I have a Glock 19 G4 for myself)If we could find range and carry ammo that we are more comfortable with (fewer FTF and FTEs) I'd be a lot happier.
    Have you tried the Gold Dots? Also, did you buy yours new or used?Reason I ask; I have two P238s. One is two years old and it does have feed issues, but my latest one eats everything without fail.. If you have an older one it may vary well be the mag that's causing you feeding issues, or possible the recoil spring. If i'm not mistaken there was a issue in the early runs with both those items. Hard to tell, but a check of the serial # might shed some light on the manufactured date. Also, try the Sig forum and see if someone has any answers there. My money's on the mag being the issue. Justa thought. Good luck
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links