Sig p238 - any owners out there?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 - any owners out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin Have you tried the Gold Dots? Also, did you buy yours new or used?Reason I ask; I have two P238s. One ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p238 - any owners out there?

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Have you tried the Gold Dots? Also, did you buy yours new or used?Reason I ask; I have two P238s. One is two years old and it does have feed issues, but my latest one eats everything without fail.. If you have an older one it may vary well be the mag that's causing you feeding issues, or possible the recoil spring. If i'm not mistaken there was a issue in the early runs with both those items. Hard to tell, but a check of the serial # might shed some light on the manufactured date. Also, try the Sig forum and see if someone has any answers there. My money's on the mag being the issue. Justa thought. Good luck
    No, haven't tried Gold Dots, but will.

Pistol is brand new. Manufactured this year.

I've had more answers here than in Sig Forum:(

2. Remove Ads

FTF and FTEs finally fixed

Sig sent me a new recoil spring. Stiffer than the original but still had issues. Before mailing it to sig, I took it to our range gunsmith to look at for us.He replaced the elector. (I have been very careful if not depressing the ejector too far when cleaning,)

Works like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!

We now have about 1000 rounds through the P238. Love it. (Love my Glock 19 a little more )

I carry a P238 Blackwood. It's been flawless for me, none of the issues that came with the first production year. The wood grips are too pretty to be carried so I replaced them with Hogue grips right away. It's grippy enough that I can shoot comfortably with the standard mag.

As far as safety is concerned, it's very positive with a pronounced click. Taking the safety off is natural with a sweep of the thumb. The pistol is accurate for a small pistol but the trigger IS a bit on the stiff side, even though it's a SAO 1911 style trigger. It requires some practice to shoot well. I tend to shoot low, especially when I try to squeeze off a quick round or double tap (the 2nd round).

It's great looking, well made, and a pleasure to shoot. If I can afford more .380 ammo, I would shoot the P238 all day at the range. Can't say that abut other compact .380.

My wife and I bought one last year for her to carry. I love the feel of the gun and it's a blast to shoot, but it jams at a rate that I would never carry it as my primary gun. We are mostly shooting Winchester white box through it (I have a ton of them) and it has a pretty flat head on them. I have some round Remmington's and Federals, but I dont want to shoot them right now because ammo isnt exactly cheap and easy to come by. When we first got the gun, we ran several different kinds through it and it has always FTF somewhat. Wife carries a S&W 642 revolver now. She's not accurate with it and it kick way harder then she would like, but I know its going to fire everytime she pulls the trigger. I am somewhat bummed about the situation though, because we really want to like this gun.

Sig p238 - any owners out there?

I just bought a P238 Sport and I love this thing. It came with a 6 rd mag and a 7 rd mag. It has Hogue finger groove grips and night sights. This pistol shoots anything I put in it and it is so much fun to shoot. It has become my favorite of all my Sigs. I now want a P938 to try.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    My wife and I bought one last year for her to carry. I love the feel of the gun and it's a blast to shoot, but it jams at a rate that I would never carry it as my primary gun. We are mostly shooting Winchester white box through it (I have a ton of them) and it has a pretty flat head on them. I have some round Remmington's and Federals, but I dont want to shoot them right now because ammo isnt exactly cheap and easy to come by. When we first got the gun, we ran several different kinds through it and it has always FTF somewhat. Wife carries a S&W 642 revolver now. She's not accurate with it and it kick way harder then she would like, but I know its going to fire everytime she pulls the trigger. I am somewhat bummed about the situation though, because we really want to like this gun.
    Have the feed ramp polished and the ejector checked......Worked for us, just ran 100 more white box rounds through. NO FTE or FTL
    stancehold likes this.

FIRST EVER 238 fail today:
    I've run a few hundred rounds of Winchester and Remington target ammo through it with no issues, plus Hornady Critical Defense.

A few weeks ago my husband picked up some TulAmmo for it--and yes, I know it is crappy, but it was all we could find on our side of town.

Little Sig wouldn't feed it. At all. The slide wouldn't close--the TulAmmo must have a slightly wider rim?

I shot the rest of them through the Makarov, which did fine, but I guess it's not quite as precision engineered, or something.

My antique .32 can be picky and the Makarov is a little bitchy when it's dirty, but I have never had any gun refuse to feed, not even once.

So I learned my lesson about that. Time to scour the city for some decent .380 again. The range clear on the other side had full shelves when I was there 2-3 weeks ago, but it's a long round trip.

HCF
    I just picked up p238 came with 7rd mag, rubber finger groove grips and sig laser, 2 tone the lgs had it on sale been shopping for pocket pistol, owning other sigs an reading up on p238 I couldn't help myself.
    stancehold likes this.

I bought one for my wife, she loves it. Accurate, easy to shoot, no failures to date, maybe 400 rounds through it. Its a bit pricey compared to the other sub compact 380's. Other than he price I think its a terrific gun.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links