Sig p238 - any owners out there?

This is a discussion on Sig p238 - any owners out there? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you guys like and dislike about your guns? Thinking of getting one for "me" (for wife really, but she won't carry it lol). ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sig p238 - any owners out there?

Sig p238 - any owners out there?

What do you guys like and dislike about your guns? Thinking of getting one for "me" (for wife really, but she won't carry it lol). Specifically, how is the reliability and accuracy, and trigger?

2. Remove Ads

My wife carries one and occasionally let's me shoot it at the range. A+ on all counts!!!
    Fitch likes this.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

Mine has never had a problem, very accurate too. Was a bit of a learning curve going from J frame as everyday carry to the 238 but that aside it is an easy carry piece.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

VIP Member
    Great little gun, have had no problems with mine.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My wife bought herself one a few weeks ago.

We both like it a lot. She lets me carry it once in a while. I like it enough that I'm seriously thinking of calling off my search for an acceptable Micro-9 and buying my own P238. I shoot it much much better than I shoot the LCP.

Speaking of shooting it, I took it to the range yesterday. Put over 100 rounds down range out of the P238 and another 100 through my G26. 12 from my LCP (there is a message there). This is a P238 target, draw and fire 6 shots @ 7 yards in just over 3 seconds.

I shoot IDPA so I have a timer I use when I practice. Splits were .3 to .5 seconds. This was fired with the short flush fitting magazine. I can not do that well with the LCP no matter how hard I try.

Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke I tried it again with the extended (pinky grip) 7 round magazine with this result:

I do better with my Glock 26, but this is good enough! I've never done this well with my LCP.

At 25 yards slow fire (~1 second per shot) I can keep them all on the target in the -1 zone or better, but truth be told, if the assailant is 25 yards away I'm going to be thinking of ways to get out of Dodge. At 50 yards slow fire I can keep 4 of 6 shots on the target someplace and one or two will make the circle.

What I like about it:
    1. Very pleasant to shoot compared to most other pocket size .380s.
    2. Slide is the easiest to rack of any pocket .380 I've found.
    3. The gun can be loaded, unloaded, and cleared with the safety on if the hammer is cocked. Since it's carried cocked and locked, this works out well. I think it's a big safety feature.
    4. My wife and I both shoot it better than any other pocket size .380 we have fired (most of them). It has the best rapid fire performance for me of any of the pocketable .380s.
    5. Excellent easy to see with 70 year old eyes sights which are also night sights.
    6. Decent SA combat trigger. Crisp, almost imperceptable over travel, not much takeup.
    7. Nice location for the safety. Safety detents are about perfect - not going to be bumped off accidentally but easy enough to move in either direction with the thumb.
    8. Beautiful workmanship, fit and finish. This is a completed gun, not a work in progress. No fluff and buff required - it was finished at the factory. Fire a few rounds of your choses carry ammo and you are good to go.
    9. It is not fussy about ammo at all, at least so far. I've fed it 4 kinds of factory ammo, including the Hornady Critical Defense load we carry it it, as well as my reloads of practice ammo, failure free. It eats it all and asks for more. Because it's so much fun to shoot it's a hungry little bugger.
    10. Most important to me, my wife likes it a lot. It's the first semi-auto she's been able to perform the manual of arms with (including clearing practice stove pipes, simulated double feeds, etc.) well enough that she is willing to carry it.
    What I don't like? Nothing. I want one for myself.

Note: Not a downside but just a fact to be dealt with. It is pretty much a right handed gun. It is a 1911 "like" single action with a safety best carried in condition 1. It is necessary to practice with it, just like with any 1911, until clicking the safety off is second nature.

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, every one of my friends that has fired this is either saving to buy one or already bought one. My buddy Dick S. who was at the range with me yesterday called this morning with GunBroker on his monitor peppering me with questions about the listings he was seeing. He want's his wife to shoot ours but he's pretty sure she will like it. A friend that lives in MN bought one just based on our description of how much we like it. This is a great little gun.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Awesome. How is the safety? Is it going to come off during pocket carry, do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Awesome. How is the safety? Is it going to come off during pocket carry, do you guys think?
    The gun should be carried in a holster with nothing else in the pocket. I've carried my wife's in a DeSantis Nemessis and have had no problem. I've also carried it IWB in a Hi Noon Bare Assett holster (because they were in stock and would arrive quickly) that doesn't extend up past the safety with no problem. That said, I'm about to order an IWB that has an extension up past the safety. I'm also probably going to order a left handed back pocket holster so my wife can have it lying flat in the bottom of her purse with nothing but the square leather part showing that also protects the safety from being bumped.

Note that the safety isn't easy to bump enough to change position. The detents work well, and it isn't oversize. It's just big enough to work like it's supposed to, nothing more.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Thanks, Fitch. I agree with the Nemesis; I used to carry a Ruger LC9 pocket carry in a nemesis. It was a great gun, but was too bulky in my dress slacks/khakis/scrubs (required attire for Medical School), and it was also hard to shoot accurately with the insanely long trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Thanks, Fitch. I agree with the Nemesis; I used to carry a Ruger LC9 pocket carry in a nemesis. It was a great gun, but was too bulky in my dress slacks/khakis/scrubs (required attire for Medical School), and it was also hard to shoot accurately with the insanely long trigger pull.
    You will love the trigger on the P238. Tiny bit of takeup, zero creep, crisp break, almost imperceptable over travel, short reset. It's about 8 lbs of pull, but that's just fine with me. Not likely to go off during a chit-sit high stress induced adreneline rush unless I want it to. A feature.

Fitch

VIP Member
    No issues with the 238 at all. Great sights and trigger.

Purchased several Colt mags and they work great.

Choose a good holster though.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I don't have one but a close friend does. He has had his about 2 years. Intially he had feeding problems. Sig sent two replacement mags and that solved the problem. On close inspection it was obvious the original mag had one tang bent (perhaps it was droped on a floor and got bent?). After streightening to match the replacments the pistol ran fine. In retrospect I wish I had bought one insted of two other .380s. The price would have been the same and for a much, much better pistol to boot.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I carry mine cocked and locked, in a small OWB holster. I hate IWB. It's compact enough to disappear under a t-shirt. Very comfortable; I have to be careful about forgetting I have it on. I use the 100 gr. Buffalo Bore ammo, which will blow a hole through anybody, bones and all. Love the gun. Grips are Rhyno rosewood, and I de-blued and polished the barrel.

My friend bought 2,I normally carry a 1911,one thing I noticed is the Sig safety does not lock the slide,and when holstering it's a good idea to keep a thumb on the back of the slide to keep it in battery,initial range test was factory ammo shot ok,but some reloads I had made without a chamber to check them in were a little out of spec and kept the slide just slightly out of battery,hammer would drop but no bang,after slapping the slide forward,reset hammer and bang.I took one of his guns home and adjusted my seat and crimp die so that a week later he put 200 rounds of reloads thru them without a hiccup
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sig 238

I R a wheel-gun guy
    Not a real fan of auto's
    But - my carry is a 238. Keep trying to make it fail. No joy so far

Had mine since they first came out...no problems: Carry it as a bug.

Got a P938 on order!
    I carry a .45 because having to shoot twice is just silly!
    Warning Shots Will Be Center Mass!

ARMY '56 to '65 SFC
    Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links