Decocker / safety or not

Decocker / safety or not

This is a discussion on Decocker / safety or not within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like the Beretta because I can decock it and put the safety on, (so the trigger won't pull). A lot of guns I have ...

View Poll Results: Do you like a Decocker/safety, decocker, safety or nothing?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Decokcer with safety

18 16.82%
  • Decocker only

41 38.32%
  • Safety only

18 16.82%
  • None of the above

30 28.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Decocker / safety or not

Decocker / safety or not

I like the Beretta because I can decock it and put the safety on, (so the trigger won't pull).
    A lot of guns I have looked at have either the decocker or a safety, or have nothing.
    My fear with manually decocking (pulling the trigger and letting the hammer down with the thumb) is an accidental fire.
    I like to have that extra safety so I just can't pull the trigger by accident. I have read many forums that a lot of people dislike the safety and have no use for it.
    I just wanted to put this out there and find out what you all think about this.

VIP Member
    I've one striker fired gun that has a decocker and no safety-- it is DA/SA. I've another that has a hammer, a safety, and no decocker. You do it the old fashioned way, carefully with one thumb blocking the hammer from an accidental fall and the other slowly releasing it.

I don't think it is a big deal either way. Get and use what you are comfortable with and be careful.
    Last edited by Hopyard; December 24th, 2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: DAO should have been DA
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    One of my carry guns is DAO, no safety. Another is a decocker model, no safety. The third is a SAO 1911, To lower the hammer I keep my thumb between the hammer and firing pin while pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer. I have no problem with any of them. Just keep in mind that with a SAO you MUST PAY ATTENTION to what your doing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

On hammer guns I prefer the decock only, on a striker fired gun I want no manual safety.
    Knightrider likes this.

i have droped my hammer a little hard on my 1911 and it never went off but just remember to point them in a safe direction i think its always best to learn how to decock on your own or you could eject the shell if you dont want to manually decock

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I didn't answer the poll because it depends on the gun. My 4566 is decocker only, my 6906 is decocker/safety, and my CZ-82 is none of the above. I carry all three decocked, safety off, defering to the DA/SA trigger. I guess my preference is DA/SA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    When I first started carrying I had a Walther PPK/S. I liked that gun a lot because I could load, unload, and clear it with the decocker in the "safe" position. I initially carried it with a shell in the chamber, decocked, with the decocker in the safe position. Later on I carried it decocked with the decocker in the fire position relying on the DA/SA.

Now I carry a Glock 26 striker fired pistol with no seperate external safety other than the one built into the trigger. I also carry an LCP with just the long trigger pull as a safety feature like a revolver. I keep both guns in a holster all the time. When I take them off to go in the night stand they go in a holster in the drawer.

I carry a P238 cocked and locked. If I had a 1911 I'd carry that cocked and locked. I've carried a revolver that has no safety at all other than the long double action trigger pull and been fine with it.

So all of the above would have worked for me.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sponsor
    I carry a 1911 and love the thumb safety and grip safety combo. I never really understood why a decocker would be beneficial. When you need to bring it to action, releasing the thumb safety is a natural movement when drawing. Pulling the hammer back requires you to compromise your grip, pull the hammer rearward and does not make for natural movement in a typical drawing sequence. Decocker is not for me. Thumb (manual) safety is my preference. Merry Christmas :)

Quote Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
    i have droped my hammer a little hard on my 1911 and it never went off but just remember to point them in a safe direction i think its always best to learn how to decock on your own or you could eject the shell if you dont want to manually decock
    1911's are designed to be carried cocked and locked,there is no good reason to drop a hammer on a loaded round,ND just waiting to happen
    Fitch, Rhcmlc and e4dan like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Go with a decocker, no safety...or internal safeties...anything else makes something simple, complicated. SIG, Glock, Kahr, S&WM&P...all good.
    oneshot likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I prefer nothing at all. I've tried all the flavors and prefer the plain old vanilla kind. I'm a big advocate of K.I.S.S.! That's keep it simple s****d!
    Question Everything!

Following the KISS methodology, I choose to carry around a DA revolver. The only safety is the person behind the trigger. You just have to be aware of that fact, and draw the weapon with your finger off of the trigger.

Doesn't matter to me. A nice gun is a nice gun !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

I carry either double action revolvers or single action auto pistols with cocked and locked safeties.

I've had a couple DA/SA auto pistols and find them overly complicated. Not to mention 'safe carry' condition requires a double action first shot. I see no reason for it.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatCo View Post
    I carry a 1911 and love the thumb safety and grip safety combo. I never really understood why a decocker would be beneficial. When you need to bring it to action, releasing the thumb safety is a natural movement when drawing. Pulling the hammer back requires you to compromise your grip, pull the hammer rearward and does not make for natural movement in a typical drawing sequence. Decocker is not for me. Thumb (manual) safety is my preference. Merry Christmas :)
    Thumb cocking isn't required on pistols with a decocker. The first trigger pull is double action much like a revolver, the rest are all single action like a 1911. That's why it's called DA/SA.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links