Georgia Peach

This is a discussion on Georgia Peach within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do some back country hiking and recent events have shown that even public places aren't safe around here. I've given it a LOT of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Peach

Georgia Peach

I do some back country hiking and recent events have shown that even public places aren't safe around here. I've given it a LOT of thought, and I believe when I go hiking alone, I'd like to have an equalizer with me. I took a self defense class a couple years ago and what I learned is that I'm not nearly as rough or tough as I think I am in my mind. In fact, I couldn't knock down a 98 pound weakling. So, with that memory in mind, I think it's wise to get some training beyond what I already have and be prepared for any potential threat to me.

I'm pretty modest in my personal means, and so I'm going to be needing some advice to help me pick something adequate, small, and within my financial means. I was kind of wondering if I could maybe get something adequate at a pawn shop? I used to buy musical instruments for my kid at the pawn shops. I'm sure it's important to look carefully. Right now I'm not sure what I want, but since I'm overweight, I think I want to be able to holster it in the small of my back.

I was told in the "introductions" part of the forum to post here. Ok folks......I'm listening!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Alot will depend on you use, hand size, intented type of carry and lots of other factors. Personal prefernce also comes into play.
    Will the gun be concealed? What gun feels comfortable in your hand? easy to manipulate? What kind of training do you have?
    Best bet is to try some guns if possible at a range if possible. Perhaps joining a local range might find someone willing to help you with your search.
    Finally, mindset. You have to be willing to defend yourself to the end. No half measures will do. If you are a female , the NRA has classes to train women , by women instructors.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member

Talking

Do you have much experience with handguns? If you are pretty new to the game, a good stainless steel revolver is always a good choice, especially for hiking in the (humid) woods...

Actually, a revolver is a good choice for a brush gun no matter your experience level. I carry a Ruger SP101 loaded with .357 magnums when in the field...the beauty of the Ruger is that it will fire .357 magnums or .38 specials...a much easier load for a smaller person to control (and a good load to practice with).

I'm sure more members will chip in with suggestions...and again, welcome to the forum...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Experience

In a past life, my husband was a gunsmith and so we spent a lot of time at the range, dumps, hills in the middle of no where, etc., practice shooting. I know from experience I don't like a .357. I'm about 5'9" and my hands are probably medium sized for a woman.

I do know that if I want access to the weapon because I'm feeling threatened, I'm dang well not going to search around through a backpack and ask my potential attacker to "Can you wait a second, I'm looking for something here." I want to be able to get to it easy. I'm overweight so since I have "grab bars" instead of love handles, I am reluctant to consider a conventional holster. I think I could more easily get to a small-of-the-back holster and be more descrete about carrying.

Something not too big would be good. I've most enjoyed shooting a .22 magnum, but a local LEO advised me that I would really only aggrivate some potential attackers with that. So, I'm broadening my thinking, and hoping to find some ideas for something moderately small and moderately lightweight.

Hope the additional info gives you all some ideas about potential recommendations. I sure appreciate it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Team American is right. A revolver is an excellent choice, no matter if you are a seasoned vet, brand new to guns, or have just been away for a while. Specially if you are limited in finances and want just one gun that you can use defensively at home, on the street, and in the woods.

For woods carry in Georgia (and most of the southeast for that matter) a .357 Magnum will handle just about anything you should come across. It is equally effective as a personal defense weapon, and as TA said above any revolver that can shoot the .357 Magnum can also handle less expensive and lighter recoiling .38 Special ammunition as well with no modification requred. This makes it both versatile and economical.

Ruger makes an excellent handgun in the SP101, and there are similar offerings available from Smith & Wesson and Taurus that would be more than sufficient to meet your needs as you have stated them. One thing to be concious of is that if you choose one of the lighter weight offerings from any manufacturer you can expect to pay for it in increased felt recoil, and the lightweight Smith & Wessons can be particularly pricey too. Taurus makes fine weapons, and even their lightweight revolvers are quite affordable and they come with a lifetime warranty, as does Ruger. Ruger weapons however, while robust tend to be heavier than offerings from the other two manufacturers I have mentioned. The SP101 is their lightest weight offering (that I am aware of).

I have purposely left Colt out of the discussion, because you stated you wanted something affordable, and Colts are pricey. Good, but pricey.

The best approach to take would be to do a little research on the style and size of weapon you prefer, then go to a range and rent the handguns you are considering (if available). That is the only way that you will know what works best for you.

Be advised too, that all of these manufacturers also offer handguns in other calibers as well.

Here are some links to some manufacturers you could check out.

Ruger

Smith & Wesson

Taurus
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Small of back carry can be uncomfortable

The only problem with small of back handgun carry is that it makes sitting uncomfortable. It works best for people who stand up a lot, or who sit on stools with no back. Store clerks behind a counter and bartenders probably could use it effectively.

Here is a photo from the DeSantis holster website of a small Glock in a small of back holster. You can see that the gun is right over the spine.

Well then.....

That leaves me with the shoulder holster as an option. (a) do they make them in the large-economy-size, and (b) doesn't that make it more likely to be obvious? And not to be ....crude, but won't the "girls" get in the way more that way?

Lead Moderator
    If its a smaller gun, a cover garment and a cross draw or strong side carry can be effectively used. From my experience, women can use similar holsters to men, just more angle or Cant is sometimes more comfortable for women.
    Check out maxpeditions gear bags too. might work well for you , if off body carry would work.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I think the revolver idea is very good, and you get more gun for your money with a good used 38 special revolver than anything else I think. A taurus model 85, for instance, can be had in 38 for less than 175 around here in excellent shape.
    How about a fanny pack? Lots of walkers/hikers use them, so it does not attract attention as unusual. They are comfortable and attached to you. Also, you can put in some mace, a whistle, etc. And the cost is very reasonable.
    Good luck and be careful.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Birdies,

If you are interested in looking at what's availabel I would recommend that you go to a local gun show. There are two coming up. Aug 26-27 at Cobb Civic Centerand then Sept. 9-10 at the Atlanta Farmers Market. It would give you a chance to look around and if you are ready buy, get a decent price. If you are going to carry it around, please get a CCW License. It is really easy to get and fairly inexpensive. That keeps you legal and depending on where you live the police will even give you a bit of free training. Be alert, Be armed and Be safe.

I've read this thread with interest and think I have a solution.

First of all, for the holster...a friend of mine has this shoulder holster and it works great with a J-frame revolver. A woman can even hook the strap to a bra strap in the back rather than down at the belt at waistline.

For the gun to put in it, I recommend what my wife carries, the S&W 642, capable of .38 +P. She has the model with Crimson Trase laser grips, which is a bit pricier, but the regular model is a great value at about $400 out-the-door in my area.

Pistol, S&W 642:

Holster, SMZ from K.L. Null Holsters:

$50 at http://www.klnullholsters.com/
    Last edited by JimmyC4; August 18th, 2006 at 09:18 PM.

shoulder holster suggestion

Well, I need the instruction manual to figure out how to get into that rig, but the cool thing is that the maker is within driving distance for me. I can call and see if he'd be willing to let me visit. That way I can try one on and maybe request the white fabric (It's a girlie thing.).

Thanks for the suggestion!

birdies, it's like half a shoulder holster. Assuming you're right-handed, the large loop hangs around your left shoulder (kinda like a purse strap) with the revolver hanging at the bottom pointed skyward. To keep this shoulder strap in place there is one strap that goes across the back diagonally toward the right and fastens to belt (or bra strap) to keep that shoulder strap from slipping down/off.

A long explanation, I wish he had a picture of someone wearing it, for it's very simple, effective, and a fast draw.

Is there someone that you trust that can take you to a local gun shop so that you can rent and fire any of these calibers mentioned. I too believe a revolver is what you need, if your concerned about a 357 mag, taurus makes a 9mm revolver that is very concealable and not at a bad price used. Above all else, get some training if or when you buy this handgun. NRA sponsored instruction are a fantastic opportunity to improve your confidence with a weapon. They make fanny packs specifically for concealed carry, just do a search. Please let us know what you decide or if you have any other questions, we are here to help!!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Ahhh, I see

Thanks for the explanation on how the holster works. Makes sense and you're right, it's probably a great solution for me.

When I get ready to make a purchase, I'll definitely do some training. I'm no fool. You have to get a year of supervised driving before they let you have a driver's license. I know that a gun has more potential for harm than that 2,000 pound car I'm privileged to drive. I've had training in the past, and will definitely get some guidance/training before just going walking in the woods with a concealed gun.

Already have plans to go to the Probate Court and get a permit. It's only about 3 miles up the road from where I work.

I have a colleague at work that is an ex-LEO and I'm going to see if he'll tutor me and help me get the right weapon. I bet we can go shopping together and get something, if he can spare the time.

Very thankful for the guidance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links