Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total - Page 3

Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total

This is a discussion on Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dwyermw This has been a mainstay for over 29 years but am I under gunnned? If you've been trusting your life to ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    This has been a mainstay for over 29 years but am I under gunnned?
    If you've been trusting your life to it for 29 years, there's no reason to not trust it for 29 more. I have one, but it doesn't leave my bedroom, because I'd hate to get a scratch on it; it belonged to my father. I shoot it every once in awhile, then put it back either in the safe, or on the nightstand.

As far as being outgunned with "only" 7 rounds: if you need more than that, you probably need a rifle.

Yes it is. Very. You better get rid of it right now, I'll pm you my address so I can dispose of it properly ;)
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

You don't want it,I'll take it worked then it works now 38 will get the job done.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    No. Hit someone with just one of those .45s and ask them if they think you're undergunned.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    If you've been trusting your life to it for 29 years, there's no reason to not trust it for 29 more.

As far as being outgunned with "only" 7 rounds: if you need more than that, you probably need a rifle.

If you have been using a 1911 (7+1) for 29 years. You obviously have been sucessfull with it. Not sure if I would want to change formats now.

So I would stick with what you have. Odd's are your not going to be in a movie type shoot out where you need 20+ rds.

As mentioned stay safe and don't put yourself in bad situations and you should be fine. This is more important than caliber and capacity IMO.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    ...I have one, but it doesn't leave my bedroom, because I'd hate to get a scratch on it; it belonged to my father. I shoot it every once in awhile, then put it back either in the safe, or on the nightstand...
    So, is your wife OK with you shooting it every once in awhile in the bedroom?
    Sorry! Couldn't resist.

Regards,
    Jim
    Hopyard likes this.

I've carried an Ultra Carry II. 7+1, it carries great, flat and light. Never felt under gunned with it at all. I shot it very well though. Extremely accurate for me under 15 yards it was POA=POI. I have an Ultra sized 9mm now it too is very accurate. Like the posters have been saying practice and don't shoot to miss.

You are never undergunned carrying anything that shoots a 45ACP. My second carry gun when I was on the SO was a S&W model 625 in 45ACP. It used half-moon clips and I carried it because they wouldn't let me carry my Colt Govt Model 45.
    Retired Air Force
    Lifetime NRA Member

I presume you have at least 1 spare mag?

I would even feel comfortable just carrying my BUG (5 rds of 357mag with two speed strips)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Do you carry spares or are you relying on the single mag in the gun?

If it was me carrying an Officer's Model, I would be more worried about a malfunction with my only magazine than running dry. I carry a Government Model often and don't worry that I only have 9 rounds on board because I carry one or two spare 8 rounder's on my belt and have a spare 8 round mag in the console. If you feel you don't have enough ammo add a couple of spare mags to your load and practice speed and administrative reloads.

A poster gave advice on using a 7 or 8 round mag with your Officer's Mod. I would advise you to check for functional issues if you do, the compact 1911's can be finicky about feeding from extended mags, be sure before you attempt to carry with one.

The 1911 is a fine weapon and it will serve your purpose well.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    If you have been using a 1911 (7+1) for 29 years. You obviously have been sucessfull with it. Not sure if I would want to change formats now.

So I would stick with what you have. Odd's are your not going to be in a movie type shoot out where you need 20+ rds.

As mentioned stay safe and don't put yourself in bad situations and you should be fine. This is more important than caliber and capacity IMO.

Movie type shootout????? No need to reload just keep pulling the trigger.

No your not undergunned. POI should take care of number of rounds unless your prone to spray & pray.And no, your not going to encounter large numbers of NVA regulars or other invading hoards.There are guys that would like to carry an ammunition belt but if you are in a shooting situation and need to drop magazines your a LEO. Joe citizen is not going to be encountering that for 99% of us. That Colt does what you want it to - defense.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I need to see pics of it first. I don't believe you actually have one.
    Hopyard likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Very Badly Antiquated..... send me a price so u can go buy ya something newer :)
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

There are plenty of recorded instances where bad guy(s) was/were dropped like a "sack o taters" with a single .22cal pistol round, and also many instances where the bad guy(s) took something like 40 plus rounds from 9mm (an excellent round if you chose ammunition that will do the job) and were still standing and shooting (drug fueled psycho).

A .45cal pistol with 7+1 is an excellent weapon and you are not under gunned unless you give up the element of surprise or try to go up against a rifle at 50 yards, and in the hands of someone ready to do violence to protect the innocent, will do the job just fine.

Why carry a second magazine?

Because nowadays bad guys usually attack in packs, you might miss with a round or two.....and because you can.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links