Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total

This is a discussion on Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; lets suppose we are able to practice in a 180 degree relatively unrestricted range ( no shots over the berm...) so we can practice many ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Is my Colt Officer's ACP antiquated? 7 rounds total

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    lets suppose we are able to practice in a 180 degree relatively unrestricted range ( no shots over the berm...)

so we can practice many different scenarios, many of which are unlikely to ever happen to us but practice is good as it transfers
    thoughts and skills over to events more likely to occur.
    so we may practice up to TEOTW stuff but when we dress to go out for the day we tend to bring with us that which we think we will need

how well we have thought out our needs--how honest we are in how we perceive our environment and honest in our abilities with our equipment;
    these things go a long way to determining our skills we may fall back on in the event that 'things go wrong'
    and remember as you plan so are others--bad people can take the bus or steal a car and go where they please; perhaps into your 'nice, safe neighborhood.
    and a accedent on the highway may put you on an exit to an area of town you never wanted to go to!

change is a way of life, so must your training clue you into what to carry and teach you to adapt.

for you 7 (or 8) rounds may suffice. indeed, for most of us it is more than we will ever be called upon to fire in defense of our selves and loved ones.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Glib remarks aside, I think only you can decide whether you are under-gunned. There will always be those who say that anything less than X number of rounds is suicide. And, frankly, I can’t think of a self defense situation where one CAN have too much ammunition.

If, after an honest and objective review of your own, personal, risk exposure, you feel comfortable with seven rounds, you are good to go. If not, well then, you may need to rethink your handgun choice. The trick is to be honest with yourself in your risk assessment.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am comfortable with 12 9mm +p with a spare mag, just in case things go downhill.
    You should be good with 7-8 rounds of .45, as long as you are able to hit within 2-3 inches of the X @ 7 & 10 yards.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

My Glock-36 = 6 + 1...I do NOT feel under gunned, unless attacked by 20 Hell's Angels. I doubt that's gonna' happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have never shot a .45 before, but I do know that the Sheriffs I know and work with prefer their Glock .40's to the 9mm. One of them stated that when training with the .40, the metal target went down while the 9mm just moved it. Ever since then he has carried a .40 over a 9mm for knockdown. I have been carrying 9's, but my next range visit I think I will rent a 40 to see how I like it.
    I would say NO! It is not antiquated. If you enjoy shooting it, KEEP it!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanjones View Post
    I have never shot a .45 before, but I do know that the Sheriffs I know and work with prefer their Glock .40's to the 9mm. One of them stated that when training with the .40, the metal target went down while the 9mm just moved it. Ever since then he has carried a .40 over a 9mm for knockdown. I have been carrying 9's, but my next range visit I think I will rent a 40 to see how I like it.
    I would say NO! It is not antiquated. If you enjoy shooting it, KEEP it!
    You don't have to worry about being under gunned with your 9mm unless you are in an area where metal targets that are resistant to 9mm rounds have declared Jihad on you. If you encounter the .50 cal Metal targets though, kiss your butt goodbye.

My 1911, as configured, is 'antiquated'. Not because it's a 1911, for sure, but because it has the sort of sights that were put on weapons back in 'those days' that are almost impossible for me to use. The little tiny wee notch that I can't even see with glasses, and the matching little wee blade front sight that's about .1" tall.

The 1911 design isn't antiquated, and the 45ACP cartridge is most certainly not antiquated, IMO. The only question might be are you proficient with it under reasonably stressing circumstances, and would you be inherently more proficient with anything else? Only you can answer these questions, or someone who has experience that can assess you without regard for hurting your feelings or puffing your ego--neither of which do you any good.

Next of course is, does the gun always fire when you shoot it using the ammo you carry? Always? If yes, then I think you're in good shape.

As for round count--we could come up with ideas and scenarios all day long and the number would always be wrong. I personally would like to carry more than 4 rounds, but don't feel the need for more than 10. The way I see it, the 8+1 I carry, and no spare magazine, will either a) be about 5 rounds too many, or b) 20 rounds too few.

Another way to look at it, I suppose: if the odds are 1 in 500,000 you'll ever need the weapon, what are the odds 7 rounds won't be enough? It really is all about your personal perception of reality, your experience with the weapon, and your circumstances. It's almost as silly to carry 40 rds "in case this ever happens" as it is to think 7 rds is enough because "that will never happen". I just see no sense in worrying round count based on a scenario you think will or will not happen.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

Great responses - thank you! I purchased my Officers Model when it first came out. I had the a superb gunsmith completely "do" this gun. Trigger, custom barrel bushing fit, extended safety, bevel the mag well, throat/polish barrel, reverse plug, trijicons when they first came out (first set lasted 15 years!). I practise regularly at an outdoor range with full concelaed draw, 180 degree target access, point shooting to 10 yards. I mainly practise quick elbow up/elbow down hip shooting from 3 - 7 yards. It is hard to resist the "pull" for a higher capacity weapon, but the superior performance of this gun is comforting. I spent years helping my coin dealer father at hotel shows and carrying this gun in quality leather products (with a terrfic horsehide belt) jst felt right. I am ready to go another 29 years!

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    You don't have to worry about being under gunned with your 9mm unless you are in an area where metal targets that are resistant to 9mm rounds have declared Jihad on you. If you encounter the .50 cal Metal targets though, kiss your butt goodbye.
    Thanks, but I'm not worried because, as I stated I carry the 9mm.

No, I don't think so. But I carry either my Keltec PF9, Glock 36, or one of my snub nose revolvers (5-shots). What I do is I carry a speedloader and a speedstrip for the revolvers, and if carrying 1 of the others I carry a spare mag.

Your pistol is antiquated. It's a 101 year old design. There are newer pistols that are lighter, simpler, higher capacity, and can stand up to crazy high round counts better than a 1911. However, your pistol is certainly still an effective weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
    As for round count--we could come up with ideas and scenarios all day long and the number would always be wrong. I personally would like to carry more than 4 rounds, but don't feel the need for more than 10. The way I see it, the 8+1 I carry, and no spare magazine, will either a) be about 5 rounds too many, or b) 20 rounds too few.

Another way to look at it, I suppose: if the odds are 1 in 500,000 you'll ever need the weapon, what are the odds 7 rounds won't be enough? It really is all about your personal perception of reality, your experience with the weapon, and your circumstances. It's almost as silly to carry 40 rds "in case this ever happens" as it is to think 7 rds is enough because "that will never happen". I just see no sense in worrying round count based on a scenario you think will or will not happen.
    I always hope that I have one round more then I need. When I carry my 1911 I am using the 8 rounds mag, with one in the tube (9 rounds available).

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Under gunned? No and as far as capacity goes, use the front sight and then you don't have to spray and pray.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Mine ISN'T..so why should yours? I think it's one of the under-rated platforms out there. A compact,reliable 1911 platform in 45ACP.....what more do you need?
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Hi Dwyermw;

You can certainly positively influence a gunfight and exercise a measure of control when you turn your Colt Officer's ACP onto a situation. The bad guys will have just acquired problems of their own if you are able to bring the pistol to bear.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Just get two Wilson 7 rd 47OX magazines - best money you will ever spend and your Officer will be an 8 round defensive weapon, with a second mag in your pocket.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links