Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm - Page 2

Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

This is a discussion on Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had mine since they first came out. SN <1800. Had to send it back to Kimber as I broke the mystical spring spoken of earlier, ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

Had mine since they first came out. SN <1800. Had to send it back to Kimber as I broke the mystical spring spoken of earlier, my fault totally.

Nearly 1000 rounds later and no problems, if you use the prescribed ammo.

One line answer:

Love it, thinking about buying another for the wife.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

I thought the point in confronting a BG is not so much to DROP him, but to slow him down so he stops his attack so you can get away! At least that is what I been told in CCW courses. Why all this emphasis on dropping the BG? Unless you are a dead shot(No pun intended!), how many folks can count on dropping the BG?
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    I thought the point in confronting a BG is not so much to DROP him, but to slow him down so he stops his attack so you can get away! At least that is what I been told in CCW courses. Why all this emphasis on dropping the BG? Unless you are a dead shot(No pun intended!), how many folks can count on dropping the BG?
    So you would not take a head shot? shoot center mass? Ever see people that have been shot and they can still shoot back? Slowing them down does not prevent them from shooting you.
    If a drugged up guy is attacking me in an alley or a place hat is hard to retreat I want a caliber to STOP him, not slow him down. Training and practice give you accuracy (hopefully). I am not shooting to wound.
    MP9NewMexico likes this.

This gun is on my list to aquire. Too many folksnthinkmthey know ore than the guys who designed and Mfg the gun. They say right on the web site the ammo recommendations. Heck follow them if the you have trouble then that is a different story.

I really like the lines of this gun and think it is optimal for CC.

End of Janurary I will be ordering mine.

Great thread MP9NewMexico, this really helped with my decision to purchase a solo. I love the solo for the size, trigger, feel, and melt. My concerns were reliability and durability that i now feel have been addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    As the title implies, this post was asking for Kimber owners' opinions. And the first thing you say is "I haven't shot it but...". Not really what I'm looking for. I've heard the negative talk. Looking for actual reports from Solo owners.
    Well I am not an owner any more. Sold mine after 3 trips to Kimber that could not/would not fix the FTE or go into battery. Sent me a new gun and I sold that sucker....I did not want to risk going through all that back and forth to try to get a gun that fired.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Well I am not an owner any more. Sold mine after 3 trips to Kimber that could not/would not fix the FTE or go into battery. Sent me a new gun and I sold that sucker....I did not want to risk going through all that back and forth to try to get a gun that fired.
    Did you use the 124 to 147 as recommended? Just curious?

I only used the recommended ammo grain also the JHP......cost me several hundred bucks just to prove the gun would not funtion. When I called Kimber they told me they did not recommed FMJ....really?
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    When I called Kimber they told me they did not recommed FMJ....really?
    Seriously? Damn, that is seriously retarded. They expect us to shell $50 for 50 JHP for ONE range session? No thanks! Wow.

My whole deal is posted here, just do a search. Maybe the new ones have the bugs out and maybe it was just mine, but I really don't care to be a test mule again. My falt in buying when the first hit the stores. Going wait for reports before doing again.

It is simply not the case that Kimber recommends against FMJ ammo. They recommend against lower quality ammo that may not be consistent.
    To better understand how the SOLO works here is what I posted on another forum to a SOLO owner that had a few problems on his first outing with the SOLO.
    Good deal I will be interested to hear how it goes. A few things to keep in mind about how the SOLO operates that is different from other larger semi autos. The first is to put the slide on slide lock and look at where the breech face is in relation to the back of the magazine. You will see that there is very little room there. When the slide is fully retracted it is only increased by about .040. Now if you have another semi auto like maybe a 1911 or S&WM&P pull the slide to full retraction and you will see you have more than 1/4in between the breechface and the back of the magazine. In order to make the pistol this small Kimber had to really reduce some clearances. To overcome this and to insure feeding they had to increase the weight of the mag spring to get the next round up like right now and to get enough slide velocity to function on the return stroke they had to increase the weight of the recoil springs. They also put that little nub on the bottom of the slide that rides over the cartridges still in the mag to reduce friction and increase slide velocity with a secondary fuction that it moves the next round in the mag down as the fired round is being extracted so there is no contact. Pretty slick actually in design. The SOLO is set up so that a round being fed from the magazine has a pretty much straight shot into the chamber and if the slide was fully retracted or dropped from slide lock it will feed pretty much anything. One of the problems my brother had with his was inserting a full mag of six and pulling the slide back to what he thought was full retraction but missing it by only a small amount and the round wouldn't correctly feed. There is a lot of resistance with a full mag to retracting the slide. He started inserting a full mag with the slide at slide lock and dropping it. Problem gone. Once you have a couple of hundred rounds through it things will loosen up a bit and it is not such a problem.
    Be sure and let us know how it goes next time out.

Why would he say that Kimber told him, via the phone, that they did not recommend FMJ?

It is simply not the case that Kimber recommends against FMJ ammo. They recommend against lower quality ammo that may not be consistent.
    I am simply telling you what Kimber CS rep told me on the phone. I thought it was crazy too, but that's what the man said. I have no dog in the hunt. I don't care if you buy a Kimber or not. The OP asked for experiences. I gave mine. Believe it or not, that does not concern me. Your milage may vary.

I don't know maybe he misunderstood? In anycase anyone can get a lemon from anyone. Kimber gave him a brand new gun which he sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Why would he say that Kimber told him, via the phone, that they did not recommend FMJ?

No...you misunderstood......that's what they told me. Jeeesss

Believe what you want.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links