Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

This is a discussion on Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good grief don't get your panties in a wad. I was just suggesting a possibility. Think about this logicaly for a moment. There would be ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

  1. #31
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Good grief don't get your panties in a wad. I was just suggesting a possibility. Think about this logicaly for a moment. There would be no reason to recommend against all ball ammo. Bullet shape has nada to do with the failures. It's all about sufficient consistant recoil impulse which has nothing to do with bullet shape. If anything any gun is more likely to feed ball than HP. I thought you didn't have a dog in this hunt?
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    No...you misunderstood......that's what they told me. Jeeesss

    Believe what you want.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,831
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I am simply telling you what Kimber CS rep told me on the phone. I thought it was crazy too, but that's what the man said. I have no dog in the hunt. I don't care if you buy a Kimber or not. The OP asked for experiences. I gave mine. Believe it or not, that does not concern me. Your milage may vary.
    I don't have a dog in this hunt either, but there was a cover story about the SOLO in "American Rifleman" and it stated that Kimber designed the pistol to function properly with very specific ammo only.

    Here is the quote:

    I believe that Kimberís insistence on particular kinds of ammunition will not be acceptable to rank-and-file shooters who are willing to pay a considerable price for a box or two of the premium ammunition, but want to use the bargain basement stuff for training and plinking. Kimber needs to address this situation. Although the pistol I examined worked well, earlier samples were troublesome. Shooters should heed the admonition to break-in their new Kimber and ensure that it functions properly.

    Link

    Review: The Kimber Solo
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

  4. #33
    Senior Member Array imthduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    Good grief don't get your panties in a wad. I was just suggesting a possibility. Think about this logicaly for a moment. There would be no reason to recommend against all ball ammo. Bullet shape has nada to do with the failures. It's all about sufficient consistant recoil impulse which has nothing to do with bullet shape. If anything any gun is more likely to feed ball than HP. I thought you didn't have a dog in this hunt?
    You thought right....obviously you don't understand that euphemism. Bottom line...I don't care. The OP asked for experiences, I gave mine, you gave yours and then discredited mine. How could you possibility know what my experience was? If you question it....wait for it....I don't care.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt either, but there was a cover story about the SOLO in "American Rifleman" and it stated that Kimber designed the pistol to function properly with very specific ammo only.

    Here is the quote:

    I believe that Kimber’s insistence on particular kinds of ammunition will not be acceptable to rank-and-file shooters who are willing to pay a considerable price for a box or two of the premium ammunition, but want to use the bargain basement stuff for training and plinking. Kimber needs to address this situation. Although the pistol I examined worked well, earlier samples were troublesome. Shooters should heed the admonition to break-in their new Kimber and ensure that it functions properly.

    Link

    Review: The Kimber Solo
    Another one without a dog in this hunt but I was turned away from the Kimber because of the ammo requirements. Kimber was up front about it to their credit. I know, not a SOLO owner so sorry I posted this

  6. #35
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    Last post because were getting way off the OP's inquiry.
    Imthduke
    I know what you say your experience was because I've read all of your many posts about it on three different forums.
    As to ammo. Kimber says on their website that the SOLO is designed to work optimaly with premium self defense ammo 124 and 147gr some examples are (they list three). They go on to say other ammo may work well but some low end ammo may not provide the required impulse for reliable slide function.
    Optimaly means at it's best and some examples means like these but not limited to.
    Now how about we limit this to what the OP inquired about.

  7. #36
    Ex Member Array MP9NewMexico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Mexico/Colorado/Texas
    Posts
    318
    I would think, personally, that a good brand of FMJ, such as Speer Lawman 124gr, would be heavy enough and consistent to provide recoil impulse to cycle the slide?

  8. #37
    New Member Array drp1371's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2

    Solo owner

    Solo owner

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    First trip to range with Solo cleaned oiled put back together correctly. First shot Speer Gold Dot .124gr FTE classic stove pipe. Wife was shooting so... maybe limp wrist? 40 more rounds zero problems. Hornady TAP .124 gr 40 rounds zero problems. Fedral .124gr Hydra-Shok 14 rounds zero problems. WWB NATO .124gr on shot number 37 of 50 (1)fte. Sellier & Bellot .115 gr out of 50 rounds fte about 7 times. Fail to shoot light primer strick 3 times.

    Second trip cleaned oiled more than first trip put back together right. Horndy Steel Match .125gr. Out of 50 rounds FTF 7 times. Would not strip first round off top of the mag. Was able to force it into battery and fire. WWB .147gr 50 rounds zero problems. American Eagle .124gr fmj 50 rounds zero problems.

    Third trip to the range started with clean well oiled pistol. 6 rounds 124gr Speer Gold Dot followed by 150 rounds 124gr American Eagle fmj Zero problems.

    I feel the ammo is the biggest problem. Sweet gun just have to figure out what she likes to eat.

  9. #38
    Member Array Denster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    158
    drp1371

    I really like the American Eagle in mine. I stocked up on a bunch of the 147gr only because it shoots exactly to the sights the 124 was just a smidge low for me.

  10. #39
    Member Array DoingOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Smithfield, VA
    Posts
    73
    Just received my Solo CDP version. Shot Federal 124 and 147 grain and Winchester PDX1 124 grain. Zero issues so far. Will try a few other different rounds but plan on sticking with premium ammo.

    My Solo & friends:




  11. #40
    SFK
    SFK is offline
    New Member Array SFK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    6
    Fresh Kimber Solo CDP, 1st hundred rounds flawless. Hornady 147 gr XTP

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    639
    I'll speak to Kimber quality though I have no experience with the Solo. I have two Kimber 1911's (Crimson Pro Carry II and my ccw Ultra Covert II). There are many Kimber haters online but I have not had one ounce of trouble with my two. The only thing I can say is that I do not care much for the 9mm in general. I like the knockdown power of my .45 acp's. Don't be afraid to get the pistol you want though.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

    Patrick Henry

  13. #42
    Member Array Pontificator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    136
    Most "Kimber haters" are people who can't afford a Kimber in the first place and want to see the company knocked down a few pegs. They pick out complaints about a new pistol and perpetuate it by repeating the same thing on different gun boards, therefore making the problem worse than it actually is.

  14. #43
    Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    Most "Kimber haters" are people who can't afford a Kimber in the first place and want to see the company knocked down a few pegs. They pick out complaints about a new pistol and perpetuate it by repeating the same thing on different gun boards, therefore making the problem worse than it actually is.
    Amen
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

    Patrick Henry

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    Most "Kimber haters" are people who can't afford a Kimber in the first place and want to see the company knocked down a few pegs. They pick out complaints about a new pistol and perpetuate it by repeating the same thing on different gun boards, therefore making the problem worse than it actually is.
    Most "Kimber lovers" are people who can afford a Kimber in the first place and want to see the company put up on a pedestal. They pick out one good thing about a new pistol and perpetuate it by repeating the same thing on different gun boards, therefore making the gun appear better than it actually is.

    LOL
    Just Kidding...been waiting to do that

  16. #45
    Member Array DoingOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Smithfield, VA
    Posts
    73
    But what if you own multiple guns from varying manufacturers? Undecisive, psychotic? ;-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

kimber solo
,
kimber solo 2012
,
kimber solo carry for sale
,
kimber solo cdp
,
kimber solo cdp for sale
,

kimber solo for sale

,
kimber solo for sale in stock
,
kimber solo price
,
kimber solo problems
,
kimber solo problems 2012
,
kimber solo recommended ammo
,
used kimber solo for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.