Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm - Page 4

Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

This is a discussion on Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, Does the Solo come with Tritium sights, or just standard 3-dot white sights? Thanks....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

Guys,

Does the Solo come with Tritium sights, or just standard 3-dot white sights?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Guys,

Does the Solo come with Tritium sights, or just standard 3-dot white sights?

Thanks.
    Only the Solo CDP comes stock with the night sights.

Kimber Solo Carry Owner

Brought the Kimber Solo Carry to the range today for the first time. However, I read the manual front to back and knew about the ammo requirements. Had several types of 125 and 147gr with me, nothing lighter. I also disassembled and reassembled it, making sure it was good to go (this is a clue). On the line, ready to go and nothing but FTF even with changing ammo.

Went home and took it apart again, but this time I reasembled it properly! It can be a little tricky at first, but an online video helped. Back to the range and 75 rounds later it was working fine. Only issue I have is that I cannot load six rounds in the magazine because 1) it requires the weight of a sumo wrestler to force the last round in and 2) there is a FTF after the first round is fired. With five rounds in the magazine, no problems.

I will be putting more rounds through it and examining it closely for wear.

Fourth trip to range 50rds American Eagle .124 FMJ, 50rds American Eagle .147 FMJFP, 11rds Speer Gold Dot .124+p HP, 9rd.124 Speer Gold Dot HP. Zero problems.

Bought one back in April. 85% FTE. Sent it back to Kimber. They pretty much rebuilt it. Two week turnaround, 200 rounds down range and not one issue. UMC ammo is a no-go but it will eat anything else. It does not like the 6+1 configuration. To carry, you need one in the chamber and five in the mag. Compared to the Kahr pm9 it has much more grip surface so it's easier to hold on to. Has a very natural point which is why I see they compare it to a 1911. No problems with WWB or ranger ammo. (In my opinion if a gun can't shoot WWB, It's got problems). I have not seen any in stock here in Iowa except for a crooked dealer who is asking $850 for one in Cedar Rapids.

Kimber Solo owner here...and I absolutely am loving mine. Have had mine for 6 months, and have over 400 rounds of quality ammo through the gun without a single failure. I am a long-time Kahr PM9 carryer, and I now trust the Solo equally to the PM9, plus it is a more comfortable carry gun. The fit and finish of the Solo is superb. The black finish on the aluminum frame will come off with wear but, hey, I'm not putting my Solo in a beauty contest. One other comment that you need to consider - the Solo does not behave the same as other pistols when you rack the slide back manually. Mine prefers to have the slide release used instead of manually racking the slide.

FANTASTIC gun!

I was looking for a small 9mm, and fondled the Kahrs, Rugers, and a few others, but, really wasn't impressed. I wanted to fondle a Solo, but, it seemed they are about non-existent. I just happened to stop in to a LGS today, that I don't go to often because it is about 20 miles away, and I look in their display case, and there sits a Solo! They let me fondle it, and I HAD to buy it.I had them write up the paperwork, and I go back, next Tuesday to pick it up.

Now, to find a Crimson Trace Lasergrip, and some extra mags!

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Did you use the 124 to 147 as recommended? Just curious?
    Why not buy a gun that eats any kind of ammo? $700 is pricy to begin with.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

The attraction of the Solo is its trigger, and all-metal construction. IMO, anyway.

I picked up my new Solo yesterday, ran a boresnake through it, lubed it wit FP-10, and shot it until my fingers were frozen. I noticed my palm was getting a little sore.

I picked up a Houge Handle jr, and ran about another 130 rounds through it today. My hand feels a LOT better. I was surprised to find that I could consistently make head shots with such a small pistol at 15 yards.

I'm still thinking a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips would be nice.

So far so good

Bought Solo CDP at a LGS in Austin,TX on Friday, shot 50 FMJ Winchester 124gr. 100% no problem. Shot 20 Gold dot 124gr 100% no problem. Gun is very tight and mag spring is stiff. Fun to shoot, kicks a bit. So far it seems like a fine pistol.

I'll be putting some CT lasergrips on mine next week.

I read that Kimber claims accuracy of 3", or less at 25 yards.

I believe it, but, not with ME shooting, with such a short sight radius!

I stripped, and cleaned the Solo the other night, inspected the locking lugs, checked the extractor tension, and looked to see how the mag release works. My locking lugs look perfect, my extractor is actually a little tighter than most of my other pistols, and the way the mag release works is about the strangest thing I've ever seen, but, I think either Kimber got them straightened out, or, I got lucky, and got a good one!

I put the Crimson Trace lasergrips on, and went to the range today. I put about 100 rounds through it, and for accuracy, this one seems to like 124 grain, Golden Saber.

Now if Kimber would just come out with the 8 round mags.

you say solo i say no go

this is a good subject, i order and paid for in full like a year ago and the best thing i got out of kimber is that their working out kinks in the gun, whats the problem its just a gun, we could have gone to mars by now and set up a colony, got my money back and bought a 9mm spring feild armory emp the right up is better on this gun and im just waiting for them to make lazer grips then i will be good to go, hope this helps someone, dont get me wrong kimber makes great 1911s but this one doesnt look to good, how many kinks could there be in a gun berfore you scrap it? p.s. the one i ordered was all stainless anyone have one of those yet ,i bet no, they didnt even start to run any of those yet

ye

Wink NP with Solo - great micro 9mm!

Picked-up Solo past Tue, went to the range Thu, put about 60 124gr FMJ through - not a single problem of any kind. If it keeps doing that - great piece.
    One thing I noticed - the top of the mag has a strange shape, where the backs of the lips are a bit rounded, so that the top round is pushed forward just a notch when the spring brings it to the top. Also - when putting in the last round (especially 6th!) - one has to make sure the nose does not dip down a bit... I suspect that not doing that might cause FTF, and that is why all this noise... Not that there might not be other problems, I'm sure. If this last round thing is indeed the cause of problems for many - it is not a problem for me to load last round properly, even though it would be nice if the mag and the spring held it correctly by themselves.

Mine was made in Sep according to Kimber - so I was a bit concerned - asked the seller why did he keep it for this long unfired? He said - he is auth dealer, and thought of keeping to himself, but than changed his mind... I inspected it - pretty sure it wasn't fired before.

It feels soooo nice. I'm holding it along with XDM4.5 in the other hand - and it's so neat in comparison.
    At 25yds with laser it seems I shot just as accurately with Solo as with 4.5" XDM... Sure with sights can't match - no magic there...

I never had CT before (lasermax on my XDM) - what a cool idea to turn the beam on with the squeeze of fingers when shooting! And contrary with what I thought earlier - CT seems just as good with many holsters as guide rod lasermax...

Great little thing!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links