Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm - Page 5

Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

This is a discussion on Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congratulations on your purchase! Crimson Trace lasergrips Rock, especially on a little gun, with a short sight radius! Keep it well lubed, feed it the ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

Congratulations on your purchase!

Crimson Trace lasergrips Rock, especially on a little gun, with a short sight radius!

Keep it well lubed, feed it the proper ammo, and hopefully it will be good to you.

I have not shot a lot of ammo yet in my SOLO. However, it seems like a GREAT gun. The main problem I have had so far is getting the first bullet to be picked off the mag. I have since discovered that the
    bullets have to be "pushed all the way" into the mag. Once this is done it seems to load and fire fine.
    The second issue (and most bothersome) is that the mag release button is very hard to push in and
    release. I am hoping these problems are because it is new and not "broken in". If anyone else has had this problem would love to know.

I had both those issues and more that Kimber could not fix....finally after sending me a new gun....I sold it. Wanted to like it however it has to work.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

$1,299.00 + $35.00 shipping on the auction sites? Not this cowboy. I like my Kimbers, but not that much for a pocket gun. Sure looks interesting though.

I bought one of the first to hit the market for $850....thought I got a good deal....could never get it to work...sold the replacement that Kimber sent me for $1000. Suppose it was a good deal.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

I looked closely at the Solo. When I tried it at the range, as advertized, it only functioned reliably with SD ammo. That DQ'd it for me. I want a firearm that I can run cheap ammo through for practice.

BKA
    Thank you for the post as I fired mine today and had the issue of the slide staying locked. Note to self read instructions.

Very much a novice but managed to overpay for a solo. My first gun is a Springfield XD so I think am spoiled by the simplicity and reliability. That said I think I have worked through the solo issues and really love the gun. The right ammo and assembly makes all the difference I think. I also have the extended clip which improves the grip in my opinion.

I own one, carry it daily, and shoot it regularly.

I personally love the Kimber line, and currently own two, a Kimber Solo Carry and a Kimber Ultra Raptor in .45ACP naturally.
    I generally carry them both at the same time, with the Solo Carry in front right pocket, and the Ultra Raptor in a strong side Desantis
    speed scabbard, or an old jackass shoulder rig I've had for a hundred years. I'm a .45 guy, to the core, and have been known to make fun of men who choose a 9mm as their primary carry weapon. LOL Don't really want to wade into the "my caliber is better than yours" debate, but I've seen bad guys shot in the head with a 9 that lived to testify against the shooter, while I've never seen that occur with a .45ACP. I will sometimes leave the Ultra in the truck or on the bike when the weather is hot, knowing that the Solo Carry will bail me out, until I can reach the larger gun.

Having said all that, I will settle for the 9 as my second/backup piece, as it replaced a Keltec .380 that used to ride in that pocket. The solo carry functions fine, as long as you feed it the proper ammo, keep the dust bunnies and pocket lint out of it, and maintain it as if your life may depend on it. I know i'm preaching to the choir there.

Another little benefit I realized with the Kimber Solo Carry in that pocket, is it protects your leg when you hit the pavement at 45MPH. LOL!! My girlfriend and I went down last April on the Harley, when a rear tire blew out doing 60 MPH. I was able to whoa her up to 45 or so before she slammed the pavement on the right side. My jeans were shredded on the right leg, and my Solo Carry was peeking out, but the skin under where she sits was untouched. Sheared the thumb safety pin on the right side, and had some road rash on that side, but the safety was still engaged and I could have fired the weapon had I needed to. Tough little gun. Sent it back to Kimber to have the safety repaired, but decided to keep the road rash for memories.

I'll also admit that the Kimber finish sucks, on all their guns. The Solo Carry is no exception. The finish on mine has worn off where my benchmade knife that shares that pocket rubs against it. I don't care what it looks like though, so I just let it wear off. I will eventually get it to Wally Birdsong for his Black T finish, like I did for my Ultra Raptor, and never have to worry about it rusting again.

Hope this adds to the discussion somewhat. Ya'll be safe.

Dear God, for the same money you can get an honest to goodness 1911 or something else.
    This is the electric car of handguns.
    They will have to make it much more affordable before I can get serious about it.

Plain and simple

My Kimber Solo works perfectly

My Kimber Solo works perfectly. Not one FTE or FTF. I only use 124 or 147 grain ammo, as recommended by Kimber.
    Perfect front pocket carry size. Sweet trigger. I don't regret buying mine at all. Paid $650 for it new.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Dear God, for the same money you can get an honest to goodness 1911 or something else.
    This is the electric car of handguns.
    They will have to make it much more affordable before I can get serious about it.

Plain and simple
    1911s are never that small.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Administrator
    The OP of this thread is no longer with us. He was shown the EXIT door a while back. This thread is now closed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links