Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

This is a discussion on Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Really, really thinking of the Solo for my carry piece. I love the sig P238, but .380 ACP, even with Barnes 80gr TAC-XP ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

Calling KIMBER SOLO owners --- HONEST opinions wanted on firearm

Hey guys,

Really, really thinking of the Solo for my carry piece. I love the sig P238, but .380 ACP, even with Barnes 80gr TAC-XP by Buffalo Bore, I just don't know if it can do the job of dropping a bad guy.

That said, I saw a Kimber Solo for sale at my range today for $669. Pretty decent price. But I have heard good and bad about these. What I'm looking for her is honest input on the reliability and accuracy of this weapon. What are your thoughts, owners? I'd probably run Speer Gold 124gr +P for defensive use, and Wally World 124 FMJs for practice.

2. Remove Ads

I've never fired one, but I havent heard great things about them. My local gun shop says they have gotten quite a few of them back with problems. People are generally not happy. That was as far as our conversation on the gun went...

I'm not going to tell you what the other options are, or what "i would get". I'm sure people will be posting up what "you should get instead" in 3...2...1....

I'm sure with the proper prep and attention it would be a fine pistol. IMO, its just still new enough to warrant pause. Let's see if they can clean up the issues first.

As the title implies, this post was asking for Kimber owners' opinions. And the first thing you say is "I haven't shot it but...". Not really what I'm looking for. I've heard the negative talk. Looking for actual reports from Solo owners.
    Herknav, archer51 and ironmike86 like this.

I've had mine for a few months now. I primarily bought it to make holsters and secondarily to shoot although I had read all of the horror stories on the net. I've got nearly 800 rounds through it now and this is what i've found. If you want reliable cheap practice ammo then Speer Lawman ball in 124 and 147gr runs fine as does American Eagle in the same bullet weights. Any of the premium defense ammo in those weights also runs fine I've tried several to include Hornady TAP, Speer Gold Dot, and Rem Golden Sabre.
    It is easy to shoot with a great trigger although in rapid fire it does squirm a little bit. I fixed that with a Hogue grip adapter. Accuracy is very good and head shots at 50ft are easy. The sights are easy to pick up with the usual three dot system.
    It will generaly run the cheap stuff like WW white box 115gr but you will get an occassional FTE. It will not run steel case ammo period.
    It will feed any bullet shape as the kimber design is almost a straight shot into the chamber from the mag.
    Read the owners manual on reassembly as the slide stop has to pick up a little spring when it is reinstalled. If you don't do it right the slide will lock back every shot. Also do not overlube it just read the instructions on what it needs.
    I paid $725 for mine and there are virtually none available around here.
    I've sold quite a few holsters for them so there must be some satisfied owners out there besides me.

Bought mine last April. 500 rds. through it no problems AT ALL. use the proper ammo.
    hoopette likes this.

500 rounds not one problem.

I strongly agree with Denster and rpcsolo regarding using the proper ammo in the Solo. The gun was designed to use 124 grain or higher. I realize a lot of folks find this to be deal-breaker and bash the solo, but I am OK with using the gun as it was designed and have had ZERO issues with mine. I personally think that a lot of the bashing this gun has seen on the internet is due to many poeple disregarding the Solo's ammo needs and using 115 grain, having issues and then bad-mouthing the gun everywhere they can.

I was recently speaking with an employee in one of the largest LGS in my area. He told me that "we had five sold, 3 came back with problems". When I asked how many were using the proper ammo, it was became obvious that he had no idea the gun was not designed for 115 gr. ammo. If the store selling the gun doesn't even know what gun gun requires, I can easily believe that 60% of the people that bought the Solo from them (3 of 5) also blew off Kimbers requirements for the Solo and then had issues. Not to say that NO Solo's have had legitimate issues, I am sure there have been some lemons go out as this is a new design and this is common with newly introduced pistols. My personal experience with my Solo has been perfect with a variety of ammo, 124, 135 & 147 grain.

The pistols that I own are all geared towards concealed carry. I have a Springfield EMP, Kahr DLC PM9, Sig P238 Ruger LCR and the Solo. The Solo is as well crafted as any of these, and better than some. It carries like a dream - very small with a great melt job on it makes it very comfortable while still being of sufficient power (9mm). With a very nice trigger, nice sights, ambi-safety (I know some people despise safeties, I dont mind at all), ambi mag release, replaceable grips and a very high quality build there is a lot to like. Recoil is fine for me, pretty similar to my PM9.

The one thing I dislike about my Solo is the Kimpro II coating. This could have been done better. It is nice enough looking, but it is NOT durable compared to a lot of other finishes.

Also, as Denster mentioned, proper reassembly is important. Without the the slide stop picking up the spring the gun will lock back after every round. I have read some posts on internet claiming this as a Solo failure but again obviously the poster had not read the manual like so many others who have issues with the wrong ammo.
    640, R9s, Solo, PM9, P380

So, it sounds as though it's not as bad the 'net badmouthers made it sound. I expected that might be the case -- kimber bias and people forgetting to read the manual and use the correct ammo. Thank you guys.

EX Kimber Solo Owner

I owned the Solo for 6 months and then returned it for a refund. Three returns to Kimber, replaced the slide and barrel twice. The black Kimpro finish was coming off under and around the slide release, and under and around both safety levers. Shot over 1700 rounds through it, the last 600 rounds were American Eagle 124 grain FMJ. I probably would have kept it if it wasn't for the Kimpro finish problem.

Again... Another non Solo shooter... But.....i had a similar choice with a Kahr CM 9.

I would be wary of any used Solo at a discount

The CM9 i trust 100 percent..... But, I would probably Have NOT bought a used one,
    Because there is enough negative talk(just like the Kimber)

I wouldnt want to get someone elses problem child

Good luck with your choice

It seems to have the right size for carry
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Well, unlike the Kimber haters here who have never shot a Solo and have posted in this thread anyway (after being asked not to) I have nothing but good things to say about this pistol. I have close to 400 rounds through mine and have not had one single failure of any kind. It is my current carry gun and having actually read the owner's manual concerning the recommended ammo, I am using Federal HST 124gr. +P in it. - I have also shot more than 50 rounds of WWB 115gr. through it again with no failures of any kind even though this weight ammo is not recommended so.

Kimber is one of the manufacturers who people love to slam whenever anything goes wrong, most likely because they can't afford a quality gun like it in the first place and are jealous of those who can. These same people will tout the greatness of their Taurus or Hi Point guns all day long though. Also- please tell me one manufacturer who hasn't had problems with certain guns in their lineup over the years? Ruger? Glock? S&W? Kahr? - All of them have had problems with certain models so Kimber is not alone here yet they don't get the pass the others do.

I am thankful my Solo is as good as it is and in my opinion it is the perfect carry gun.

It seems to be a great carry gun: good size (not much bigger than my BG 380), and fires a good, powerful 9mm round. Throw some good Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124+P in there, and I think I would feel very confident/safe.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my BG 380, but could it do enough damage to drop a 300 pound man hell bent on pulverizing me? Doubt it.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    ... Don't get me wrong, I really like my BG 380, but could it do enough damage to drop a 300 pound man hell bent on pulverizing me? Doubt it.
    Not only possible, but quite probable. The 380 auto has killed more people than Cecil B. DeMill.

With that said, a shot to the CNS, regardless of caliber, will instantantly neutralize any sized perp.

BTW, Non-Solo owner here but I have a bud that loves his.
    RugerMak and Rhcmlc like this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

A shot to the CNS is pretty darn hard to attain under duress. That's why I'm thinking 9mm over 380

Yeah my cousins Husband is a Cop and we were just talking out the .380 yesterday. He's seen perps shot in the head with a .380 and just bounce off the skull and survive. Ppl die with one shot with a 22 mag. His gun is a 45 and .380 bug because its small. But I'm the same as you. I like my 380 but would like to carry a Solo also. But imo if I shoot someone with a 380 a few time.. the 300 lbs man that would slow him enough I hope to get away. = better than nothing. But that why I rarely carry a .380 and never in the winter. JMO

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links