Cerakote/duracoat for glock 19/26??

This is a discussion on Cerakote/duracoat for glock 19/26?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the plus or minus arguments for the above? Is it just to reduce the risk of rust, etc... or is there another reason ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Vaquero 45
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By zonker1986
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: Cerakote/duracoat for glock 19/26??

What are the plus or minus arguments for the above? Is it just to reduce the risk of rust, etc... or is there another reason beside "looks" to have one or the other done to a gun? Thanks for any input--- trying to decide whether or not to get one.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

It's just for looks. I've owned several Glocks over the last 20 years or so, and have NEVER had any rust issues, nor have I ever heard of rust issues with a Glock.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

For other guns, it may be beneficial, but for a Glock, it would purely be to change the color of the gun.

The polymer frames of any gun doesn't have an issue with rust for obvious reasons, and the rest of Glock's finish is pretty durable and not prone to rusting except in extreme conditions.

Glock is known for their particularly tough finish.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Most if not all metal parts in a GLOCK are Tenifer finished:

GLOCK applies advanced surface treatments on major metal components, resulting in slightly less than diamond hardness. This considerably reduces wear and tear on these metal components and makes them corrosion resistant, even when operating in saltwater conditions. The matte black surface minimizes light reflection—an advantage in tactical circumstances
    Glock utilizes the Tenifer process to protect the barrels and slides of the pistols they manufacture. The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 mm (0.0020 in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 C (932 F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off. Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers like Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc. also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish.
    Ferritic nitrocarburizing is a range of case hardening processes that diffuse nitrogen and carbon into ferrous metals at sub-critical temperatures. The processing temperature ranges from 525 C (977 F) to 625 C (1,157 F), but usually occurs at 565 C (1,049 F). At this temperature steels and other ferrous alloys are still in a ferritic phase, which is advantageous compared to other case hardening processes that occur in the austentic phase. There are four main classes of ferritic nitrocarburizing: gaseous, salt bath, ion or plasma, and fluidized-bed.
    Why would you mess with perfection?
    Philly Boy likes this.

I agree with the other posters. You won't have an issue with the standard Glock finish.

As for duracote or cerakote, cerakote is a much more durable finish. It's not something that you can do yourself however.

VIP Member
    Yep what they said. Unless you just have to change the color leave it be the rust argument wont be an issue.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

nothing is uglier than a Glock that has been Duracoated or Ceracoted.....and then starts chipping. Saw one that had been duracoated in Desert Tan....and looked really pathetic after the coat started coming off around the tip of the slide.

Duracoat and Ceracote will wear and chip regardless of what the advertisements say.

The only "coating" I would do for a Glock is to maybe have the slide hard chromed or EXO finished (nickel boron). Much more permanent than Duracoat or Ceracote.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Phillyboy,

I am seriously starting to wonder about you! The best thing about a Glock is the finish! There are others who have surpassed Glock in other area's (in my opinion), but nobody has a more durable finish then Glock. Believe me when I say that I would finish a few of my gun's if I could get the Glock signature finish on non Glock guns. It's freaking fantastic.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Glocks should be BLACK.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Links