Quality 44 spcl snubbies?

This is a discussion on Quality 44 spcl snubbies? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does it aggravate anyone else that S&W comes out with a 410/45 monstrosity but ignores the awesome 44 spcl round for self defense? It seems ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Quality 44 spcl snubbies?

Does it aggravate anyone else that S&W comes out with a 410/45 monstrosity but ignores the awesome 44 spcl round for self defense? It seems to me that they are going offering the 410/45 to satisfy a small market of shooters who like novelty guns.

At the same time they are missing out on a larger market of buyers who would love the opportunity to buy a quality large bore snubbie. If they would shorten that cylinder to make the handgun into a 45 LC or chamber it in the 44 spcl round I know many who would jump all over it.
    Charter Arms has proven the 44 spcl can be made into a sweet lightweight self defense handgun. Can you imagine what S&W could do with it?
    Am I the only one that still believes there is a market for the old large bore bulldog style handguns of old?
    Bring back the pumkin rollers.

Michael
    wmhawth, zacii, CaptSmith and 2 others like this.

They made one, although it's nonlonger in production. A 5 shot on an l frame called the 696. They can still be hound, but will cost you an arm and a couple of legs.

The Charter Arms is the very best paper weight I have ever seen. Taurus also made a 44 spl, but I didn't need anymore deep sea fishing sinkers.

And yes, Smith has put a bur under my saddle for a long time. They have not had a new concept for years, and have felt quite content to copy everyone else. Now their latest abortion, the Governor, what a joke. Maybe they should just turn over their operations to Taurus, Colt, and Walther. They do away with the Combat Magnum, and produce a freakishly large and unwieldy X frame, and have the nerve to name their Glock clone the hallowed M&P name, while being content to sit on their ass and produce Colt products.
    Yeah, they have pissed me off, I'm getting hot just writing this...
    zacii, wormy and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

The Charter Arms is the very best paper weight I have ever seen.
    Clarification, please. Does this mean that you do not consider the Charter Arms revolvers to be of sufficiently high quality to carry to defend your life? (I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm new to J-frame revolvers and I'm just plain uninformed.)

A good 44 Spl would have made more sense than their Knockoff of that Taurus 410/45 folly.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Clarification, please. Does this mean that you do not consider the Charter Arms revolvers to be of sufficiently high quality to carry to defend your life? (I'm not trying to be snarky. I'm new to J-frame revolvers and I'm just plain uninformed.)
    The Charter Arms revolvers have suffered from indifferent quality and "who's going to own us this week" situation over the years. Their very first line of revolvers was pretty decent, then they got into some cost-cutting schemes (like glued-on barrel shrouds that would fall off after the barrel got hot) which earned them a reputation as junk. And in a marketing plan that was close to what Ford did with the Edsel, they came out with the "Bonnie and Clyde" revolver set, in .32 H&R mag (I think) and .38 spl. That's about as smart as Ka-Bar coming out with a "Daniel Pearl" model knife.

In its latest ownership and location, Charter Arms seems to have settled down and is putting out decent guns. I've seen 'em and handled 'em but haven't shot any, and I don't know anyone who owns a recently-made one. They aren't pretty; actually, they seem pretty clunky and the finish isn't anything to write home about. If I was strapped for money and absolutely had to have a snub, I'd give them a look, but I'd also be posting here looking for first-hand reports.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Model 24

S&W did make a very nice .44 special snubby called the model 24, but it is long out of production and you'd have to search to find one. This is what it looks like:

And for a lighter weight .44 special, the model 296 is good, but also out of production:

bmcgilvray and zacii like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I think 44 special guns really arnt popular because all 44 mags can shoot 44 special. I dont know if i would call the 410/45 colt guns noveltys anymore i know alot of folks buying them for ccw and home protection. But i do agree that 44 special is a great round and their should be more guns out their. For me tho im actually looking to buy a 44 mag 2 to 4 inch barrel to carry and i will use 44 special in it for ccw and use 44 mag for woods carry.

One of the reasons Smith stopped makeing the 696 and 296 is not because there was not a calling its the fact that reloaders were blowing them up trying to hot rod the .44 special round and they were concerned with liabitly issues.

I had a couple of 696's and they using factory level ammo, were great shooting guns, although they recommended not using over a 200 grain bullet in the 296.

If you can stand the lock, there was a short run of model 24 snubbies that ran with their classic line a couple of years ago and I see them around a bit. I had a buddy take one of the Model 22's with the fix sight and had the barrel cut down the the end of the ejector rod and the sight replaced and its been his carry piece ever since, and he loves it.

For those that want to bad mouth the Charter Arms bulldog, I have one had with well over 1000 rounds thru it and without a speck of trouble and it still locked up tight. I would not feel undergunned at all if all I had was a .44spl Bulldog on my belt or in my pocket.

I've had the Charter Arms in 44spl. for many years now and like Bear4570, it has performed admirably. It is one of the older models obviously, perhaps the newer ones have more quality control issues. Yes, its not pretty but its usually covered up anyway.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I also have one of the early Charter Bulldogs. Had the hammer bobbed and an action job done plus added a set of crimson trace grips and it's a light, good shooting ,easy carrying gun. I don't know about the later models, but after many years with this one, I'll stake my life on it.
    That S&W 24 sure is purtty though!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Been living with a Charter Arms Bulldog for 28 years...yes Smith and colt are "nicer"...but not on my hip...own a Smith, but dont CCW it...I am looking forward to getting a CA 40cal in my hands to check out...would buy another CA bull dog if they would come back with the old school 3" tapered barrel.

I bought this 5 shot, 2.5: barrel Night Guard's in afew years ago and it has been excellent!
    Attached Images
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I bought this 5 shot, 2.5: barrel Night Guard's in afew years ago and it has been excellent!
    Thats definately a nice gun
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Thats definately a nice gun
    Thanks, it shoots great with the Hornady 180 gr. XTP custom load or the 200 gr. WW Silvertip.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Been living with a Charter Arms Bulldog for 28 years...yes Smith and colt are "nicer"...but not on my hip...own a Smith, but dont CCW it...I am looking forward to getting a CA 40cal in my hands to check out...would buy another CA bull dog if they would come back with the old school 3" tapered barrel.
    They supposedly are coming out with the 3" tapered barrel.

Charter Bulldog Classic

And some other interesting reading regarding Charter .44 Pugs, if they're good enough for Taffin, then they're good enough for me:

19. BULLDOGS AND NUMBER FIVES

I currently own two Charter .44 Bulldogs myself, and I absolutely love them for their intended purpose, which for me is to shoot a little, but carry a lot. If I want to shoot a bunch of .44 Special I just get out the old .44 Mag Super Redhawk Alaskan.

CaptSmith likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links