Taurus 85 in polymer?

This is a discussion on Taurus 85 in polymer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into the taurus 85 polymer framed revolver in 38 sp for my wife. i dont know much at all about taurus firearms and ...

Thread: Taurus 85 in polymer?

Taurus 85 in polymer?

I'm looking into the taurus 85 polymer framed revolver in 38 sp for my wife. i dont know much at all about taurus firearms and i hear both bad a good about them. i figured the polymer frame would be pretty light and easy for her to carry. i've never owned a taurus and really dont know alot about them. has anyone had any expierence with this weapon. are they reliable? if not what would be a good small framed revolver to go to? any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

2. Remove Ads

My impression is that Taurus revolvers are decent guns. The only Taurus I've owned was an autoloader, and it was something of a disappointment. I have a 6 shot S&W J-frame in .32H&R mag (model 432 PD). Admittedly, I don't shoot it often and rarely carry it, but it's a very easy gun to shoot and weighs only 13 oz. You can run .32S&W Longs or the H&R mag rounds through it. The H&R rounds are about equal or a little more powerful than .380ACP.

If it were me, I'd get a Ruger LCR in .38 or .357 instead. The Ruger is proven and it has the finest "out of the box" trigger I've seen for a new pistol.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    If it were me, I'd get a Ruger LCR in .38 or .357 instead. The Ruger is proven and it has the finest "out of the box" trigger I've seen for a new pistol.

thanks i'll do some research on those.
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

I'd let the little lady shoot one of those light weight gun with carry ammo before I get one for her. Just in case try and have a Smith model 60, or 36, or maybe a Ruger SP on hand. Lighter isnt always better with small handguns.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'd let the little lady shoot one of those light weight gun with carry ammo before I get one for her. Just in case try and have a Smith model 60, or 36, or maybe a Ruger SP on hand. Lighter isnt always better with small handguns.
    What he said.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    +1 on taking her to a rental range and letting her try several weapons herself before buying. I've been the Taurus route, I'd pass.
    If you're wanting a lightweight snubby for carry look at these.

Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Spl+P $361.00 SHIPS FREE

Ruger LCR 5 Shot 38 Spl $398.00 SHIPS FREE

If it's just for house duty Buds has an excellent deal on used S&W
    Used Smith & Wesson Model 10 38sp ROUND BUTT $269.00 SHIPS FREE
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I just don't get any of the plastic revolvers. All make but ruger make lighter revolvers out of all metal. I own a 20+ year old tairus85SS that is a great old carry pistol but if unltra light is what you want. Get a metal one. Used revolver prices are not bad even on s&w and mid light weights in the 16oz range are easy to find.

I have 2 Taurus 85UL's and both are nice carry guns weighing in at 17 oz's, I think. They are easy to carry and conceal, and the factory boot grips makes them manageable.

I also have S&W m60 that I like but the front sights are thin and hard for me to see good.

Smile Great CCW for women

I'm a small 5"2 woman at 110 pounds and have the Taurus .38 polymer frame and love it! Yes is very light weight but it doesn't kick much at all for how light it is... I also shoot a STI GP5 and can say the Taurus kicks a little more than the STI but the size and weight difference is a lot more noticeable than the kick. The hammer is great also, my thumb is normally sore from my husbands full size Taurus .357 and my thumb gets raw after shooting that revolver for a bit. I can easily shoot 75+ rounds on one trip and feel fine.

Links