Kahr PM9 FTF

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 FTF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Yes indeed - how many rounds do you have through the gun? I've gotten different recommendations depending on which tech I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 FTF

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yes indeed - how many rounds do you have through the gun? I've gotten different recommendations depending on which tech I talk to over at Kahr, but I would certainly change the recoil spring on a PM9 every 1000 rounds, at most. Mine has about 700 through it - getting close myself.

One thing you may wish to do is get a "carry only" recoil spring, and a "range use only" recoil spring. Just make sure you remember to switch them out when you go to the range, and mark them so you don't mix them up.
    Im probbaly in the 700-800 range myself. My Glocks tend to get more range time due to training requirements.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Kahr suggests that you use the slide release to chamber the first round. If you are racking the slide by hand, you may not be doing it with enough force. Try using the slide release and see if this corrects the issue. I lube my Kahr PM9 a little more than my other guns. I also use a little Mil-Tec1 grease on the slide rails and have had a lot of success. As others have mentioned, you can also try a new recoil spring.

- How is this post helpful? Like it or not, guns are mechanical things that can fail to work properly. Especially micro 9mm's that have very tight tolerances.
    I must admit, when I first got it and had no issues, I used the slide stop/release method, but as most know fight like you train and we are constantly trained to use the "sing shot" method. 99% of the time the slide was locked to the rear, I dropped emtpy mag, inserted new, grabbed the rear of slide and pulled back forcefully and fast. I know Im doing that right and thats where this debate confuses me. The first round chambers correctly and fires. If I had a tendancy to "ride the slide", I would think the ftf would be on that very round? Anyhow, I am now going to use the slide stop until i get this figured out with this gun. Still love this little pistol.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

I would look for barrel peening as this has been a issue with the Kahr pm9s and pm40s
    this is a google search link to images of pm9 barrel peening.

pm9 barrel peening - Google Search

This can cause binding and slow down the slide making it malfunction.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    I know Im doing that right and thats where this debate confuses me. The first round chambers correctly and fires. If I had a tendancy to "ride the slide", I would think the ftf would be on that very round? Anyhow, I am now going to use the slide stop until i get this figured out with this gun.
    - It's usually the second round that is the problem with a slingshot. Kahr's can be a bit finicky in this regard. You can also drop the magazine after manually racking the slide to see what the second round looks like. Sometimes it tends to jump forward a lot. You won't see this issue with the slide stop release method.

That being said, I've never had an issue using the sling shot method with my PM9, but I carried a MK9 for years and years previous to that.

You all have been very helpful. Definitely going to order a new spring. Been using CLP, I guess I should change? THank you all.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

You all have been very helpful. Definitely going to order a new spring. Been using CLP, I guess I should change? THank you all.
    - I've used CLP and have never had an issue with it, but I much prefer GunZilla now. It smells a lot better and it cleans better. I'll mention Militec-1 grease again for the rails.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    leathernuts Try a different brand of ammo. Winchester has turned out more junk ammo this last year that it is not worth blowing up a firearm. Tjhat alone my be your problem. I have not shot winny ammo in so many years i just don't look at it any more. Check ammo recalls to see how many they have. But recoil spring could be an issue ,Maybe. I ran a cw9 to 1200 rounds with no problems but the spring did measure a 1/4" shorter. So changed it. My cw9 will sling shot everything. My cm9 will sometime but alway works when useing the release with HP ammo. Depends on ammo's buulet and HP design and lenght more than basic function.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Kahr suggests that you use the slide release to chamber the first round. If you are racking the slide by hand, you may not be doing it with enough force. Try using the slide release and see if this corrects the issue. I lube my Kahr PM9 a little more than my other guns. I also use a little Mil-Tec1 grease on the slide rails and have had a lot of success. As others have mentioned, you can also try a new recoil spring.
    Toker is spot on. Use the slide release. I have found that many folks can just just pull the slide back just enough to release it and move it forward. This can jam a khar unless you give it a hard pull back.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Just got off with Kahr CS. He's sending out another recoil assembly. He said it was unlikely that my hand cycling was the culprit since it wasn't the first round I was having trouble with, although he is a big proponent of the use of the slide stop.

@Toker and C Hawk- what do you think- again, no problem with the first round by hand cycling. I do all my glock this way. Do you use the slide release on your glocks as well (if you own one or two or three)
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Do you use the slide release on your glocks as well (if you own one or two or three)
    I hope you don't mind if I reply to this, as I own both Glocks and a PM9.

This is my biggest issue with Kahr pistols. I just cannot run them reliably like I can run my Glocks. Like you, I have always trained to use the overhand method of racking a slide or chambering the first round. The Kahr manual of arms is incompatible with that.

My solution has been to train myself to consider the PM9 a "throwaway" pistol...meaning that if I shoot it to slide lock, I'm not going to worry about fumbling a reload. I'm going to throw the PM9 down, and draw my back-up pistol (aka the "NY reload"). Given my muscle memory, this is more reliable for me than trying to run the PM9 differently than I've been running my Glocks for years.

[ETA - Even under no stress at the range, I still find myself wanting to overhand the PM9, even though I "know" that I have to use the slide release. Hard to overcome thousands of repetitions in training. ]

I do carry a spare mag for the PM9 - but that is only for a tactical reload if I have NOT fired to slide lock, assuming things have calmed down to the point where I can actually think about what I'm doing.

Another option is to load your spare mag(s) with PowRBall ammo - that should chamber properly, even if you do forget to use the slide release and instead use the overhand or slingshot method. I've used it, but I don't generally like light-for-caliber bullets.

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yes, my Glocks have been flawless as well. I dont doubt this PM9 can grow up and be a GLock some day (Im kidding IM kidding!!), seriously though, it had been flawless up until last Friday. I think Im just missing something. Hopefully a better lube job and the new recoil works. Until last session, I always made sure it was wet before hitting the range. Thank you for the input as all input whether helpful or comical is welcome!!!!
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Still say your problems could be the winchester ammo. Many problems out there from the white box ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    Still say your problems could be the winchester ammo. Many problems out there from the white box ammo.
    Always a possibility, however I put the exact same ammo through my g19 & 26 without any problems along with about 20 others.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Always a possibility, however I put the exact same ammo through my g19 & 26 without any problems along with about 20 others.

I am guessing what he meant was that with the tighter tolerances of the Kahr that WWB could be causing the problems whereas we all know that most of the times the glocks will eat anything. God Bless

Roger that. I must say, whatever the case may be, tolerances etc., that pm9 is extremely accurate. A little off the subject. Sorry
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links