Kahr PM9 FTF

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 FTF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive had it about a year and half now. Up until this last shoot, I only had one FTF and that was past the break ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9 FTF

Kahr PM9 FTF

Ive had it about a year and half now. Up until this last shoot, I only had one FTF and that was past the break in period. It was the only time i shot it with a pierce grip ext and I attributed to that thinking it tilted the magazine slightly forward perhaps causing the nose dive round. Quit using it and the PM9 had been flawless since. So on the friday, I put 150 WWB through it and had about 5 FTF's, maybe a few more. It was very disappointing and surprising. Not sure that it was consistent as far as which round whether it was the second or third because this pistol has shot so flawlessly, it shocked me everytime. Now the one thing I did do consistently, was rack it by hand. After reading other post regarding this, can this really effect FTF's? Any other advice? Crazy thing as some of you may know it just came back from Kahr and they said it checked out- go figure. Thanks
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

2. Remove Ads

The Pearce extension might have been affecting your grip. Perhaps you were so used to gripping it without the extension that it cause you, unknowingly to grip the pistol differently? My Kahr PM9 has been flawless but I've had a similar issue when using grip extensions on my P380.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

How lubed was the Kahr? I used to run mine wet and I'd know when I needed to re-lube it, because the gun would not feed as well. if the gun is dry I will try to find this picture floating around the net of everywhere to lube on a PM9. I followed that every time it got dry and never had any jams.

Dan

yes, thats the conclusion I came to, but that was like 6 months ago. This last go round was with no grip extensions.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

@Dan, Yes i did check that and it was dry. I will definitely keep it wet, which I normally do. if you get that pic, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Scroll Most of the way down.

Kahr Lube Diagram - Page 2 - Glock Talk

I used this when I first got my kahr and then I kinda remembered it and cut corners here and there. It is a good reference though.

I used to use clp but when I got my Kahr and read everywhere that they like to run wet (as I experienced in addition to reading) I started to use Birchwood Casey SNO universal Gun Grease. $4 bucks at the LGS and it turned out to work.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan_the_man; December 27th, 2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added info 2 or 3 times

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Were all of your FTFs nose dive rounds? If so; this usually indicates the return slide speed is slowing. This can be caused by both running dry, as mentioned, and the recoil spring weakening. The ultra small and light PM line seems to need more frequent spring changes. A good rule of thumb is to expect to replace the spring between 750 and 1200 rounds.

It may not hurt to disassemble your mags and clean them as well, if you haven't already done so.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Yes indeed - how many rounds do you have through the gun? I've gotten different recommendations depending on which tech I talk to over at Kahr, but I would certainly change the recoil spring on a PM9 every 1000 rounds, at most. Mine has about 700 through it - getting close myself.

One thing you may wish to do is get a "carry only" recoil spring, and a "range use only" recoil spring. Just make sure you remember to switch them out when you go to the range, and mark them so you don't mix them up.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Ive had it about a year and half now. Up until this last shoot, I only had one FTF and that was past the break in period. It was the only time i shot it with a pierce grip ext and I attributed to that thinking it tilted the magazine slightly forward perhaps causing the nose dive round. Quit using it and the PM9 had been flawless since. So on the friday, I put 150 WWB through it and had about 5 FTF's, maybe a few more. It was very disappointing and surprising. Not sure that it was consistent as far as which round whether it was the second or third because this pistol has shot so flawlessly, it shocked me everytime. Now the one thing I did do consistently, was rack it by hand. After reading other post regarding this, can this really effect FTF's? Any other advice? Crazy thing as some of you may know it just came back from Kahr and they said it checked out- go figure. Thanks
    No! No! No! This can not be! The PM9 is the darling of the internet gun crowd and is always perfect and flawless! Please save your bashing for the Kimber Solo and leave the PM9 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    Now the one thing I did do consistently, was rack it by hand. After reading other post regarding this, can this really effect FTF's? Any other advice?
    - Kahr suggests that you use the slide release to chamber the first round. If you are racking the slide by hand, you may not be doing it with enough force. Try using the slide release and see if this corrects the issue. I lube my Kahr PM9 a little more than my other guns. I also use a little Mil-Tec1 grease on the slide rails and have had a lot of success. As others have mentioned, you can also try a new recoil spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    No! No! No! This can not be! The PM9 is the darling of the internet gun crowd and is always perfect and flawless! Please save your bashing for the Kimber Solo and leave the PM9 alone.
    - How is this post helpful? Like it or not, guns are mechanical things that can fail to work properly. Especially micro 9mm's that have very tight tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Kahr suggests that you use the slide release to chamber the first round. If you are racking the slide by hand, you may not be doing it with enough force. Try using the slide release and see if this corrects the issue. I lube my Kahr PM9 a little more than my other guns. I also use a little Mil-Tec1 grease on the slide rails and have had a lot of success. As others have mentioned, you can also try a new recoil spring.

- How is this post helpful? Like it or not, guns are mechanical things that can fail to work properly. Especially micro 9mm's that have very tight tolerances.
    How is it helpful? It's not. It simply points out the hypocrisy of firearm owners who bash some brands (Kimber) and praise others (Kahr) when ALL brands of firearms have problems.

But it seems the solo has had problems since day one whereas, the PM9 has some track record of reliability until recently (last few years).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_man View Post
    But it seems the solo has had problems since day one whereas, the PM9 has some track record of reliability until recently (last few years).
    I would like to see just how many Solos out of the total production have had problems. Myself and many others have had nothing but perfect performance from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    I would like to see just how many Solos out of the total production have had problems. Myself and many others have had nothing but perfect performance from them.
    - When did this thread become one about the Kimber Solo rather than trying to help out the OP with his/her issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Were all of your FTFs nose dive rounds? If so; this usually indicates the return slide speed is slowing. This can be caused by both running dry, as mentioned, and the recoil spring weakening. The ultra small and light PM line seems to need more frequent spring changes. A good rule of thumb is to expect to replace the spring between 750 and 1200 rounds.

It may not hurt to disassemble your mags and clean them as well, if you haven't already done so.
    YEs!!! Exactly. THank you
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links