newbie wilderness carry question

This is a discussion on newbie wilderness carry question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently carrying an XD40 subcompact while I am hiking in the area where I live.. and to tell you the truth I am ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IAm_Not_Lost
  • 1 Post By grouse

Thread: newbie wilderness carry question

I am currently carrying an XD40 subcompact while I am hiking in the area where I live.. and to tell you the truth I am not all that happy with my ability to be on target with it.. I hadnt done any research before I purchased the 40 but am now aware of the snappiness of the round.. so I am considering getting a new carry piece for hiking.. there is a fairly good chance I could encounter either a mountain lion or a few wolves where I hike so I am thinking about a full size pistol in either a 9mm for higher capacity or a 45 for more stopping power.. was just wondering if the 9 would have enough grunt to get the job done.. would appreciate any input.. thanks in advance p.s. I have also read about the 10mm.. it sounds interesting but I just dont like the feel of a glock and I am not sure I could shoot it any better than my XD.. and I know there are some good revolvers but if I were to run into a pack of wolves I would like more rounds than a revolver offers..

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Seems to me like you have a good gun right there. I would really encourage you to go out and practice some more, maybe give a nice gun like the one you have another chance. If the XD40 simply won't work, I think a 9mm or .45 will be fine for light predators like mountain lions and wolves, that is IF you are actually able to hit a mountain lion at full sprint with a handgun (I doubt I could!). 9mm would be, and is, my choice of caliber for carry of all nature, mainly because it works and it's cheap to shoot.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Seems to me like you have a good gun right there. I would really encourage you to go out and practice some more, maybe give a nice gun like the one you have another chance. If the XD40 simply won't work, I think a 9mm or .45 will be fine for light predators like mountain lions and wolves, that is IF you are actually able to hit a mountain lion at full sprint with a handgun (I doubt I could!). 9mm would be, and is, my choice of caliber for carry of all nature, mainly because it works and it's cheap to shoot.

^This.

Couldn't have said it any better.

I've always preferred a bigger gun for trail duty. Traditionally most people use revolvers for trail guns. Why? They are simple, and when all you have is a second or two to react the DA revolver will almost always go bang the first time.

That, and you can carry a more powerful round. As a hunter, I don't need more, I need a proper round to stop what I'm facing. I'll do my part to make the shot to stop the threat.

Remember, when it comes to dealing with any threat shot placement matters more than anything. The gun you have now will work fine for dealing with threats you mentioned. Practice some more, and if you can't get to be a better shot, well, then you have the wrong gun for you. Period. If you can't be accurate enough with your current CC gun to stop a threat about the same size as a person, you need to re-adjust what you are doing.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Maybe try a .357 revolver ?
    I love my 3 inch .357 Ruger SP101 for a trail gun.
    RockStrongo likes this.

VIP Member
    With practice you can learn to handle the snappy recoil of the .40. Switching to the 10mm your only gaining power. The .40 is just a cut down 10mm, so there is going to be more felt recoil with it. While he 9mm would do fine on coyote and wolves, I would not want to go up against a mountain lion with one. The .45 will do the job on either one, with proper shot placement.

My own personal choice would be a .357. I have a 4" Ruger GP100 that I wouldn't hesitate to use for any of the animals mentioned. I see your in Idaho, I'd also be worried about bear also. If that is a possibility, then I'd opt for something in .44 magnum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Shoot 180 grain instead of 165. It is much less snappy, and you can stay on target much easier.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Is the problem in controling the pistol in your hand?? Haveing to regrip between shots? Heavier ammo does help AND IF grip control is an issue get a small bike tire innertube. Cut several pieces, each wider than the other , 3/4" 1 1/4" and 2" and put several layers on your grip to help with grip control. Buy a can of bear spray. Better than wounding a wild animal if time allows.

VIP Member
    Maybe you could carry an extended 40 cal mag on the trail for a better hand hold and higher capacity. With 180 truncated cone FMJ , the 40 has plenty of power for anything you mention. Practice and shot placement go hand in hand. I'd feel better with a magnum handgun against big bears, 41, 44, or better. Cats are problematic, because they're so sneaky.
    Attached Images
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If you can open carry in your state I'd recommend a 4" or 6" barrel Ruger GP100. Rugged as a tank, reliable as gravity and very accurate, especially when fired single action. Ruger also makes a double action chambered in .45Colt.

The other good woods carry would be a Ruger BlackHawk in .357 magnum or .41 magnum. or, if you want something bigger, a Ruger BlackHawk in .45 Colt. They are all good shooters. This is my woods gun - 5.5" barrel BlackHawk in .45 Colt with custom grips, Wolf Trigger spring, chamber throats reamed to .4515 :

Loaded with 255g LaserCast Lead Semi Wadcutter pushed by 10g of Unique (works well in my gun) it will shoot through a deer the long way, and it's accurate. Every time I take to the range I think if I didn't own it, I'd stop on the way home and buy one. I reload so I can have ammo matched to what I'm doing.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Any gun is not going to do you any good against a mountain lion. Ever watch a domestic cat stalk it's prey? If a mountain lion has its fix on you then you're not going to know it until it's knocking you down from behind. Better to carry a chest mounted fixed blade knife.

My vote would be for the 9mm. For all the reasons you already listed. Cheap to practice with, easy to control, and higher ammo capacity. But my guns are for shooting people. Not animals.

VIP Member
    Woodland defense:

500 S&W with 440 gr hard cast

Old model vaquero 45 Colt with 300 gr moly coated lead +P

Titanium 41 mag with Federal 250gr cast core

Woodland defensive tools.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Problem cats are most often the young stupid/inept , cats are what we carry for in the woods, (and ferrel dog packs) years ago, Washington abolished "pursuit" (dog) hunting.. a couple of generations of welps did not develop a fear for human kind. We dont see them in town anymore but for awhile they were walking through towns, around schools. If you can't shoot that .40 dont carry it...The wife packs her Markarov..I carry a 6" mod 25 45cal S&W, with my handloads.. But Ive been setting dollars aside for a full size EAA Witness stock 10mm. good luck and welcome/greetings to the forum

Welcome to the forum from Delaware! If you give the SA XD40 SC a chance and some practice, it really is very accurate. As far as the snappy, if you shoot correctly, the snappy is after the shot, so should not hinder your accuracy any.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links