Good first gun? - Page 2

Good first gun?

This is a discussion on Good first gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fitch I agree with all the recommendations to start with something in .22LR. I'd recommend a Walther PT22 which is a nice ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Good first gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I agree with all the recommendations to start with something in .22LR.

I'd recommend a Walther PT22 which is a nice little .22LR shooting pistol. My Niece bought one and is shooting it a lot. The other really fun gun to shoot is a Ruger Single Six in .22LR. The S&W double action .22 revolvers are fun too, but sort of pricey.

I'd also recommend an inexpensive bolt action Savage .22 rifle with an inexpensive 4X scope on it.

You can shoot the same ammo in both guns and learn a lot. There is nothing like time shooting and rounds down range to improve your skills. You can also use either of the above guns if you have to for home defense - they aren't the best for that, but they are better than nothing.

Fitch
    All are good choices but learn how to use iron sights out to at least 50 yards before you use a scope. I didn't let my son put on a scope on his 10/22 until he could hit pie plates at 75 yards with iron sights. We shoot our other rifles well past 150 yards with iron sights sometimes to see how accurate we can get.
    NY27 likes this.

Welcome to the forum.

Since you didn't cite a defensive purpose, I would agree with what others have recommended (seems to be a common theme). I like a pistol in .22 LR for a first gun. My first gun was a 9mm. Then I REALLY found out what it cost to shoot 9 mm, and got myself a Ruger MK II (6-7/8" barrel, adjustable sights).

But whatever you do first, remember... YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RIGHT TO CHANGE YOUR MIND!
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Ahhh. I missed the link part.
    As did I. The eyebrows were raised. I recommend the Ruger 77/22, but it is a bit spendy. I am a firm believer in bolt guns, especially for the newer folk (no offense to the 10/22 or AR crowd).

I agree with the .22 recommendation for the first gun. Inexpensive to shoot, and it will let you develop good shooting form. You can find a good .22 in a used case for $250 give or take a few bucks. Then shoot as many 9mm , 40s, and .45s as you can and find a model that you like. There are so many good guns on the market, a lot comes down to personal preference once you find a reliable brand or model. Lots of gems hiding in used cases.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    As did I. The eyebrows were raised. I recommend the Ruger 77/22, but it is a bit spendy. I am a firm believer in bolt guns, especially for the newer folk (no offense to the 10/22 or AR crowd).
    No offense LOL. I like the 10/22 because it was a good starter gun for my son to modify and trick out. He did all legal mods himself and tricked it out all by himself. Great learning gun to change out triggers, stocks, barrels et al

VIP Member
    I would highly recommend the M82A1, this is great for new shooters.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Revolver for defense,,,,

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    For a first timer I suggest a pistol chambered in .22long rifle. Or perhaps if you want something bigger a revolver chambered in .38 special would work just fine.
    +1 on the 38 Special idea. A revolver is so simple, versatile, and easy-to-use that it makes an excellent first gun. I'd recommend the S&W 442 or 642, although other manufacturers (e.g. Ruger, Taurus) make decent alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    The sniper rifle link was to an airsoft gun, not a real gun. I was also confused by this.
    Same troll from a few months ago.
    FW21

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsdr View Post

"and connections on ammo with Hornady in the family".......

That little interjection in the original post raised my eyebrows.

Here is one of the best first steps towards practice for self defense or just developing handgun shooting skills.

Mosquito

Sigarms Mosquito very nice 22 cal pistol.

Second vote goes for the Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by cptsdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    "and connections on ammo with Hornady in the family".......

That little interjection in the original post raised my eyebrows.
    Hmm.. Yeah, I checked his previous posts. He giving advice for gun purchases, which holsters are good carry options, and quality of manufacturer’s customer service, and advice on carry tactics. …Yet, he doesn’t own any firearms and has only shot a couple of times?

...I hope he takes some advice from this thread, if he is serious, at all.

browning buckmark 22
    itschuck likes this.

Are you looking for your "first" gun to be primarily for developing the basic shooting skills with other application-specific guns for later acquisition?
    If you want your initial purchase for skill development a .22 is hard to beat. Buy it with the intention to keep it and get something else later - with either a rifle or handgun. Don't forget previously-owned guns as a real $-saver. The Ruger 10/22 was mentioned, but nobody mentioned the Mexican Assault Rifle, i.e. Marlin/Glenfield Mod.60. They have been in production since guns were invented and can be found used at reasonable prices. They are accurate and reliable with lots of accessories and good availability of spare parts. If you want the 1st gun to work for defence, consider a used .38 revolver. .38 Spl is available in a plethora of different loads and is one of the more economical CF calibers. Better yet, buy everything you find appealing as you develop your skills and know what you like. In today's world guns are like buying silver rounds - the price may fluctuate, but they will never be worth nothing like we may someday wake up and to be the case with FRNs.
    Better to perish in the fight for freedom than live to see defeat.

even if we have trolls I would assume this thread will answer a question a lot of people have.

.22 .38 or 9mm are all good starting points. 9 and. 38 offer a gun in a defensive caliber from the start. a bigger gun will handle the recoil well. I started on a sig 226. worked out well. although it isn't the cheapest weapon.

plenty of good brands out there. check the local shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links