Defensive Carry banner

Good first gun?

3K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  MNBurl 
#1 ·
I've shot a gun twice in my life. The local range is less than a mile away and looking for something

to take over there. I don't plan on hunting, just range shooting. With a range that close by and

connections on ammo with Hornady in the family, I figure I better take advantage. It's something

I've always had some interest in, just don't know where to start.

If I went with either a rifle or handgun first, I'm sure I'd get

the other down the road.

#2 ·
Well, if you go the handgun route I suggest either a .22lr or a 9mm. A .22 if you want the handgun purely for target shooting and for the reason that it's good to start small and cheap. If you don't see your self purchasing another handgun in the future (yeah right) and you may want to use the handgun for home/self defense hence the forum you're in, I would suggest a 9mm to start. Cheap(er), soft recoiling, and great ammo availability.

If you go .22, I would suggest a Ruger mkII/markIII, or mark 22/45. These are all essentially the same gun in one variation or another. They are well made, accurate, and relatively inexpensive. If you choose the 9mm, I would suggest either the S&W M&P9 or the Glock 19. These guns are also relatively inexpensive, although more than the .22's but, they are accurate, reliable, and most important for a new shooter is simple to use. There is no safety to fiddle with (read up, they are safe or, you can get the S&W with a manual safety if you choose), there is no decocker or single action/double action to learn. You simply load the weapon and shoot. Great handguns for target or home/self defense for around $500+/- used.

Dan

#3 ·
For a first timer I suggest a pistol chambered in .22long rifle. Or perhaps if you want something bigger a revolver chambered in .38 special would work just fine.

#4 ·
Agree wholeheartedly with the above. Since they focused on handguns (not surprising on a carry forum), I'll talk rifles. If you are going for a rifle, it's hard to beat the Ruger 10/22 in .22 Long Rifle.

The good thing about a .22 is that you can shoot all day long for not a lot of money. Shooting is the only way to really develop skills. Try out firearms while you're at the range. Pretty soon, you'll think, "That looks cool. I want one of those." And so it begins...

Best of luck to you, and welcome to DC. Come back often. There's tons of smart folks here....and me, too.

Cheers,
Herk
:cowboy:

Reactions: Charles07
#6 ·
I'm still a fairly new shooter as well and one of my next purchases will probably be what I should have started out with: a double-action .22lr revolver.

I've found that the hardest thing to master when it comes to accuracy (for me) is "trigger control". "Sight alignment" can be achieved in any number of ways and there are many stances and grips to choose from, but when you've found what works for you the trigger still has to come back in a smooth motion or you'll be off. The easy way to do this is to choose a single-action pistol with a short, light pull but I've started to look at it differently. If I can learn trigger-control with a heavy-pull revolver, it will probably help with any pistol with a lighter pull. .22 is the cheapest way to practice that.

That said, try as many guns as you can before buying. If your range rents, rent as many different ones as you can. If your friends/family shoot, go with them and try theirs. There will likely be several guns that you will enjoy. Prepare to get hooked and enjoy the journey!

Caveat- If you're choosing a pistol for self/home-defense, still try as many guns as you can but get *professional* (NRA certified) instruction ASAP. Target-accuracy and "combat"-accuracy are 2 very different things and require very different skill sets.

#7 ·
For someone starting out shooting it's hard to beat a .22. With pistols you have the choice of a semi auto or a revolver. Ruger has the Mark II in semi auto, or the SP101 in a double action revolver. In a rifle you can chose between a semi auto (Ruger 10/22), bolt action (CZ452) or a lever action (Henry Golden Boy).

#8 ·
As the fine gentleman said before me, you really can't go wrong with a .22LR, no matter if it's a pistol or rifle. I agree with herknav and archer51 that the Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle to start with. As for pistols, I shoot a Ruger MKIII target (semi-auto), great target pistol. I also used to shoot a H&R 9-shot revolver my father used to have, that was a fun gun to shoot. Wish I could find another.

#9 ·
I completely agree with what most people have said in this thread. Since you have such little experience, you want to be able to shoot cheaply and get your fundamentals down. The best way to do that is with a .22lr. Get a rifle or get a pistol. Heck, get a cheap $100 rifle and a decent pistol, both chambered in .22lr. Then you can practice everything - cheaply. I promise that it gets pretty expensive to hit the range. You will be able to shoot 100x more with dirt cheap .22 ammo than with anything else. Plus, you will learn the basics and not develop flinches or bad habits as easily (since there is virtually no recoil).

You will, then, naturally progress to a center fire caliber after you get the itch. I guarantee it. :smile:

#10 ·
I agree with all the recommendations to start with something in .22LR.

I'd recommend a Walther PT22 which is a nice little .22LR shooting pistol. My Niece bought one and is shooting it a lot. The other really fun gun to shoot is a Ruger Single Six in .22LR. The S&W double action .22 revolvers are fun too, but sort of pricey.

I'd also recommend an inexpensive bolt action Savage .22 rifle with an inexpensive 4X scope on it.

You can shoot the same ammo in both guns and learn a lot. There is nothing like time shooting and rounds down range to improve your skills. You can also use either of the above guns if you have to for home defense - they aren't the best for that, but they are better than nothing.

Fitch

#16 ·
All are good choices but learn how to use iron sights out to at least 50 yards before you use a scope. I didn't let my son put on a scope on his 10/22 until he could hit pie plates at 75 yards with iron sights. We shoot our other rifles well past 150 yards with iron sights sometimes to see how accurate we can get.

Reactions: NY27
#12 ·
Seemed like a strange suggestion to me as well.

Fitch

#15 ·
Being new and just starting out I think a 22lr would be a great place for you to start. Cheap, fun, no recoil, and you can shhot almost all day for $20.00. My first handgun was a .45acp which I bought a few weeks ago. Since then I have also purchased a Browning Buckmark Hunter and topped it off with a nice Ultra dot match dot and it is a blast to shoot and lets me work on my form for litttle cost. I think the 22lr is a great starter gun for anyone new to shooting.

#17 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Since you didn't cite a defensive purpose, I would agree with what others have recommended (seems to be a common theme). I like a pistol in .22 LR for a first gun. My first gun was a 9mm. Then I REALLY found out what it cost to shoot 9 mm, and got myself a Ruger MK II (6-7/8" barrel, adjustable sights).

But whatever you do first, remember... YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RIGHT TO CHANGE YOUR MIND!

#19 ·
I agree with the .22 recommendation for the first gun. Inexpensive to shoot, and it will let you develop good shooting form. You can find a good .22 in a used case for $250 give or take a few bucks. Then shoot as many 9mm , 40s, and .45s as you can and find a model that you like. There are so many good guns on the market, a lot comes down to personal preference once you find a reliable brand or model. Lots of gems hiding in used cases.

#29 ·
Are you looking for your "first" gun to be primarily for developing the basic shooting skills with other application-specific guns for later acquisition?
If you want your initial purchase for skill development a .22 is hard to beat. Buy it with the intention to keep it and get something else later - with either a rifle or handgun. Don't forget previously-owned guns as a real $-saver. The Ruger 10/22 was mentioned, but nobody mentioned the Mexican Assault Rifle, i.e. Marlin/Glenfield Mod.60. They have been in production since guns were invented and can be found used at reasonable prices. They are accurate and reliable with lots of accessories and good availability of spare parts. If you want the 1st gun to work for defence, consider a used .38 revolver. .38 Spl is available in a plethora of different loads and is one of the more economical CF calibers. Better yet, buy everything you find appealing as you develop your skills and know what you like. In today's world guns are like buying silver rounds - the price may fluctuate, but they will never be worth nothing like we may someday wake up and to be the case with FRNs.

#30 ·
even if we have trolls I would assume this thread will answer a question a lot of people have.

.22 .38 or 9mm are all good starting points. 9 and. 38 offer a gun in a defensive caliber from the start. a bigger gun will handle the recoil well. I started on a sig 226. worked out well. although it isn't the cheapest weapon.

plenty of good brands out there. check the local shop.

#31 ·
A 22LR rifle and handgun is hard to beat. They will teach you everything you need to learn to shoot.

After that a 6 shot K or L frame Smith revolver would be a great shooter. I use 4" Smiths (38spec and 357s) as HD guns even today. Try a couple of guns of friends.

I am also a member of the Oakdale Gun Club one of the largest outdoor shooting ranges in the upper Miidwest (8 different ranges). I love doing RSO duty on the 25 yard range and helping new shooters with having a good experience. The most sure way to have a bad experience is to shoot a gun that the user is not ready for. Example: A 110 lb woman shooting her husbands Beretta PX4 in 45ACP. Thank goodness on of the members had a S&W 3913 9mm for the woman to shoot and had a great time. She will be back with a gun that will work for her.

The reason I shared this story is start small and grow into what you need. 22LR guns will teach you every thing you need to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.