Smith 642 for my father

This is a discussion on Smith 642 for my father within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I told Dad that his DD-214 would suffice as training for his carry permit, and all he had to do was fill out the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 21bubba

Thread: Smith 642 for my father

Smith 642 for my father

When I told Dad that his DD-214 would suffice as training for his carry permit, and all he had to do was fill out the app, let them copy his discharge papers, and give them the fee, he went ahead and got it. He was never into handguns all that much. Shotgun man, although he does have a Ruger Single Six 22 that I gave him years ago. I think he ought to be a little bit better armed than that. He is 66 and lives alone. I don't think he would like the idea of an auto, as he never really liked the 1911s that everybody shot in Vietnam. The newer autos kinda make him smile, nod, and roll his eyes ("Polymer? You mean plastic? On a gun???). So I think he ought to go with a Smith 642. Looks like a good carry weapon, and the simplicity is something he would like. No mags, mag releases, slide stops, takedown levers, etc. For those of you that have one, whaddya think? I have a model 60 Smith, but that is just a wee heavy for pocket carry, and also has an exposed hammer. Should this be a good one (and I am sure it is), I will pick one up for him in a month or so.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Airweight snubs can be tough to master, especially with little handgun experience. I would suggest a model 60 or SP101.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are many people here that are fans of the 642 (or its 442 variation in black). It is a great gun, but it does take some practice to master. If your father has particularly large hands, you may want to look into a different set of grips. Recoil with +p loads can be uncomfortable for those more sensitive to it, but with standard pressure loads like wad cutters or Federal Nyclads it is entirely manageable. As always, if you could borrow one from someone you know or go to a range that rents them, you may want to have your father try it to se if he likes it. Get a decent pocket holster (Mika or Nemesis are good ones) and he'll be set!

I'd say he would probably like the 642. How does he feel about your 60? He may rather like something a little heavier than the 642. Is he going to be pocket carrying or OWB holster? If he's going to pocket carry, then yeah the 642. If he's going with a holster OWB, he might like the extra weight of a 60 or a Ruger SP101.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The 642 or 442 are great guns and a great bargain right now. A little dry fire practice with snap caps and some time at the range and at defensive distances he will have it down in no time. At longer distances it can be a little challenging but these guns can deliver surprising accuracy.

I think the Ruger SP101 would be a better choice, and your father could shoot both .38 and .357...his choice.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think the Ruger SP101 would be a better choice, and your father could shoot both .38 and .357...his choice.
    This is a good suggestion!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I own several small revolvers (i.e., Ruger SP101 in 357mag, Ruger LCR in 38+P and Smith and Wesson no-lock 642 in 38+p) and shoot and like them all. To me it all comes down to how he will be carrying the revolver. Since he doesn't like polymer guns I guess we could rule out the Ruger LCR, although it probably has the best trigger of the 3 small revolvers. If he is going to carry it owb or iwb you really can't beat the Ruger SP101. I have over 5,000 rounds through mine and the trigger has really gotten very smooth. At 27 oz. it's a real tank and very easy to shoot and control. It's also very easy to clean since it's solid stainless steel.

I am older than your father, and I carry a 642 in a Galco pocket holster. Practice with mine once a month, and love it. Can I put my shots in a three in group at 25 yards, NO, but at 7 yards I can keep them all in the head of the target.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Denster View Post
    The 642 or 442 are great guns and a great bargain right now. A little dry fire practice with snap caps and some time at the range and at defensive distances he will have it down in no time. At longer distances it can be a little challenging but these guns can deliver surprising accuracy.
    +1 on this! My 442 had a pretty stiff trigger out of the box, but it loosed up with practice. I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster in my jeans with no problem. Looks like I have a wallet in my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Ruger SP101= Clydesdale
    S&W 642= Quarter horse
    Pick your pony

Being built like a tank is not a positive to me.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I have all the above and then some. What I like may my seem totally different than the next person. I say treat him to some Range Time and rent a few or borrow a few guns if possible. Let him decide.

Links