XD9sc or keep the Kahr cw9

This is a discussion on XD9sc or keep the Kahr cw9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; longtime lurker first time poster. need a general opinion. I have a cw 9 that has been a good pistol but I am getting the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: XD9sc or keep the Kahr cw9

XD9sc or keep the Kahr cw9

longtime lurker first time poster. need a general opinion. I have a cw 9 that has been a good pistol but I am getting the itch and I am thinking of getting rid of it for anXD9sc. how much of a difference will there be between the two. obviously the xd9sc is thicker but will printing be an issue compared to the cw9.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd keep the Kahr. Buy a new holster or something to scratch the itch.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't have your answers but you'll want to be more specific. How are you carrying? With what style holster? Do you have a good belt? How about your dimensions? Obviously in the winter it won't matter much but for summer attire it's going to be much easier to conceal the CW9 than the XD9sc. OWB might not be so bad with the right shirt.

thanks for the quick replies. i'll be carrying IWB and am 6'1 205. Got a good belt and just have a Desantis piece of leather for it right now. my main concern is that there will be a greater chance for printing with the XDsc, especially in the summer months. All input is welcome.

That's a question only you can answer. For me, the Springfield, although a fine weapon, feels like a concrete block. Way too top heavy for my personal taste. That may not be an issue for you. One thing that is a fact is the XD will be close to twice as heavy loaded as the Kahr. That weight over the course of a day makes a big difference to me. The perfect solution would be to keep the Kahr, and get the XD!
    tkruf likes this.

XD9sc or keep the Kahr cw9? My answer would be both - keep the Kahr, add the XD...CW9 for IWB and XD9sc for OWB. This would give you a very versatile setup for most everyday needs.
    zonker1986 and tkruf like this.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Have you shot the Xd yet? What about the xdm? They are a bit thicker than the Kahr but IMO they have better ergonomics and are softer shooting. Always trade offs.

I agree with everyone else. The XD is a sweet shooting gun, however, it is brick of a gun. It is thicker. I have an XD9sc and a Kahr PM9 and a CW9. I also have a Glock 26 and a couple of Glock 19's. The Glock 19's are more comfortable to carry than the XD. The Glock 26 easier to conceal.

I only carry OWB usually under a loose hanging shirt. I'm shorter and thinner than you, but I have no problem concealing the Kahr PM9, Glock 26. Sometimes I can get away with the G19. I've never really carried the CW9 because of the longer grip, when I have the PM9 I saw no need. Yes the XD is comparable in thickness and size to the Glock 26, but it weighs quite a bit more.

Keep your Kahr and save up til you can scratch that itch. When you have "both", you'll be much happier than if you get rid of the Kahr and have only the XD. I've learned the hard way. Getting rid of one to get another, you always regret it later. You lose out financially, and you'll wish later that you had kept the Kahr.

Keep it and save up the XD.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

thanks for everyone's opinions. Aiko to answer your question i do own an XDm9 and an XD45. i don't like to carry them because the grip is pretty long. maybe i'm paranoid but it seems that the grips are always sticking out when i carry either one of those.

I like my brick!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You are falling into the gear trap.

Take a class at TDI in Ohio and then get a better understanding of your skills and your needs.

Its a lifesaving tool, not an accessory for coolness. (That's the elephant skin belt with silver buckle...THAT makes you cool...and the Mitch Rosen Holster...but the gun...no...)
    JD likes this.

Most people don't relize it but the XD9 & 40 SC are very close to the size of a Glock 19 or 23. Very large for a subcompact. The Kahr will be much smaller.

Glock 23, XD9SC & Glock 27

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a XD9sc and use a Sticky Holster most of the time when I have my shirt out with no printing.
    I use a Crossbred SuperTuck Deluxe when I might have to tuck the shirt in; no printing.
    I'm a 6'4", 338 lb
    No problems.
    IMHO, I'd keep the Kahr and buy the XD too.

I'll give you my input. Take it however you wish. I'm probably not the best at giving advice on this issue, but I can tell you my personal opinions and decisions.

I went and shot several handguns and wanted the "perfect" gun for daily carry. Yeah, we all know that isn't possible, now. The gun that I personally liked the best, and was shooting consistently with - was the XD line. My good friend carries an XD subcompact. He consistently carries it with the extended magazine and grip extension. It was much harder for me to shoot with the shorter grip, and I wanted to be able to shoot consistently in a SD scenario.

So, I purchased the service model with a full grip and a 4" barrel. It conceals just as easily as the XDsc with the grip extension. Most people are right about this gun not being small. It isn't the smallest of guns. I wear it daily in a crossbreed supertuck, though. I don't have conceal-ability issues in regular clothing. A T-shirt, or Polo, or button down work fine with a pair of jeans. Worrying about the grip is just being paranoid. The gun is definitely on the thicker side, too. It's not too thick, but it is not slim by any means.

That said, there are many occasions which I could not conceal the gun easily, and would like something smaller. Tucking in a dress shirt or wearing more formal attire would be the main situation. Going to the gym would be another. Weight of the gun may (and probably will) be an issue with some looser fitting clothes. I have considered buying a smaller auto for deeper concealment. I would much much rather be in a bad situation with my XD than a smaller gun, though. The XD comes first. A smaller gun would come second - and I would only wear it when I absolutely had to.

I'd say absolutely keep the CW9. IMO, one of the best IWB 9mms out there to carry all day long. that .90" is hard to argue with about four hours in on a warm day and where deep cover is a must....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links