Ruger LCR .22

Ruger LCR .22

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR .22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I was wanting a snubnose for a little while now, and had been looking at the LCR and a 642. Had been leaning towards ...

Thread: Ruger LCR .22

Ruger LCR .22

Well, I was wanting a snubnose for a little while now, and had been looking at the LCR and a 642. Had been leaning towards the LCR for a while. During a trip to the range yesterday I saw that my LGS had the .22 lr model in stock. Since I never got myself a Christmas gift I figured I deserved this one.

The shop I buy from gives you a free half hour of range time whenever you buy a firearm, so I went back this morning to shoot. What a fun gun. Ran a couple hundred rounds through it and was having a blast. Much better than the Walther P22 I have. The gun was plenty accurate, when I wasn't just yanking the trigger. For some reason .22's make me just want to empty magazines or cylinders. Consequently, my accuracy starts to decrease.

When I was giving it an honest try I had no problems getting bulls eyes or at least in the 10 ring. Was about a 2-3 inch grouping overall at 21 feet. Occasional stray mixed in but that's on me. Was very pleased since I am not comfortable with a revolver at all.

Towards the end I started having trouble ejecting casings. I had started with bulk federal, then moved to CCI MiniMags. I would assume the carbon build up from the bulk stuff was causing the casings to bind a bit. Can see a strip of build up in where the trouble casings were. It is not a major issue for me. Just got to give the cylinders a good cleaning and good as new.

Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase. I was wanting to get into revolvers, and this lets me do it at a price I can handle. At $20 for 500 round I finally have an opportunity to gain some proficiency with a wheelgun. I have already ordered a Nemesis Pocket holster for when I upgrade to a .38 or .357, but I may actually carry the .22 from time to time. I don't think 8 rounds of .22 is the worst thing in the world. And sometimes I don't feel like strapping something onto my belt.

Just need to get out to the range again and shoot it some more.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I think there is a market for this little revolver. As a matter of fact I want one. Only down side is that it seems a bit expensive. A few hundred more and you can move into the S&W Classic series. That beng said, not everyone has "a few hundred more" to toss out. Right now I am more interested in one than not. Sadly, tax time is in March and again in April. I suspect I am taped out 'till July or August. Business is always good then....
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Links