Defensive Carry banner

Used XD9sc vs. New Kahr CW9

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Ramjet 
#1 ·
New to the forum and new to CCW. I just received my permit in the mail today :smile: and have been going to local gun shops to price out some guns. Im looking for a EDC pistol that I can carry year round, will mostly wear iwb and occasional owb when possible. One of the shops has and older used xd9sc with obvious holster wear for $330 and the cheapest I can get the new CW9 is $369. The shop with the used gun backs all there used firearms and will take care of anything if something happens to the pistol. Have grown up with guns all my life but this is going to be my first handgun.

My question to you all is which would be the better purchase. Or is there other options out there to consider. Trying to stay around $400

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
You can pick up a new xd 9 sc for about 450.00, NIB might be a year or 2 old but new and unfired. I love my xd9 some folks bash them as a knock off glock. Make no mistake they are well made and very accurate. Mine conceals excellent with only a Galco speed paddle holster at the 4:00 position.

#3 ·
The both are top rate striker fired poly guns...The XD is thicker but the advantage is it has a higher standard magazine capacity. The Kahr is noticeably thinner I think the "CW" is the same as the "P" models just has different cuts an carves for less money...reason I mention it is I owned the P40 and I can speak on that one. It was unbelievable in accuracy to be such a small firearm and I shot it even better than my glockBLOCK and no other semi-auto carried as well inside the pants for comfort as the P40 did...The XD is something else though..I have owned three of them and they are awesome pieces. flip a coin...sorry

#4 ·
Different folks like different things. And, there are lots of different pistols to choose from. I think you are taking the right approach by checking out the possibilities. It has been pointed out the XD is a bigger, and heavier pistol than the CW9. If I was buying one to carry IWB, no contest, it'd be the CW9. Smaller, shorter, lighter and, therefore, easier to conceal. If I was looking for a range pistol, I'd go with the XD.

I carry my CW9 year round. I could go smaller yet, with a CM9 or a PM9, but the CW is a perfect fit for my hand. It's a great pistol for $370 new, but I do not use it that much at the range, other than to recycle ammo and keep my profecentcy up. It's sole reason for being is CCW.

Go with what makes you happiest; can't lose that way.

#5 ·
Get training from a reputable instructor first in a 500 to 1,000 round/2 day class, then determine what you want to carry.

I make no statements regarding your selection, other than to say that without training, they will be of limited use to you.

#6 ·
If you have the oppourtunity to rent each and shoot them side by side it will be worth it. The triggers are completely different and you may find you like/shoot one better than the other. I own xds and a cw9(actually started a thread similiar to this one earlier today) and I can shoot the xds much better because the trigger feels better to ME. Not that the Kahr trigger is garbage, because it isn't, it is more revolver like and I am just not as good with it. Like MitchellCT said pick your poison and get some training to become proficient with your choice. Good luck

#7 ·
Either pistol would serve you well. The CW9 would be easier to conceal, due to the difference in size. The CW9 is a soft shooting gun, even for a sub-compact pistol.

As MitchellCT said, make sure you get training. Having a permit and gun are a very small part of defensive carrying. Knowing when and how to use it is even more important.

#9 ·
Both would be great guns. the kahr a little thinner for better concealment. But it has less capacity than the xd. I have the xdsc and love it. I have 10 a 13 flush fit mag and a 16 rd extended mag. Im looking to buy the xdm compact soon and my son will inherit the xdsc. For his collection. But try both guns the choice will be up to you good luck

#10 ·
I love my SA XD40 SC, but I've never shot a Kahr.

#11 ·
I am not against buying used firearms at all . BUT the kahr is so thin and light compared to even an xd compact that it does make the kahr a easier to carry handgun. I carry mine when i dress better in a comp-tach holster over my front pocket, IWB it allows me to set with out digging into me, covers with a shirt or tuck in and even in the car i can draw with out getting all contorted like so many do when carried at the hip or farther back. Also so worry about clothing getting all hung up on the grip. And that does happen when bending over reguardless of what some think. They do print. The kahr is a very easy pistol to control also and accurate. I use a 124gr+PGD load in both mine. Also have cm9 for pocket carry. Both have been 100% reliable. To me the XD is just simple a larger pistol but if you can carry it year round with out moveing it around your body, then get it. Both are good firearms. To me, there different pistols and hard to compare when there is so much difference in size,weight and thickness.

#14 ·
Good luck with your choice. I hear kahrs need a 200 round breakin period. After that keep it clean and it should serve you well. I looked at the same 2 guns when I got my xd. The shop didnt have the kahr and I looked at glocks. But the xd just sit in my hand so much better. And at the time of purchase the xd was $50 cheaper. It has been a great gun for me.

#17 ·
My .02 cents, the used XD, .... no doubt about it.

Good luck with the Kahr. My experience with their customer service was not good, and they weren't wanting to back up their barrels with the nickel coming off of them. They are still having the problem, can't seem to resolve it, and keep trying to act like the problem doesn't exist when called on it (which is BS, they know there is a problem, just don't want to have to change out all of those barrels).
Springfield will back up their gun, with no issues and have about the best customer service there is.

As far as shooting, the XD is much smoother and easier to shoot.
Someone in an earlier post said a CW9 was a soft shooter... compared to what ? My GP100 .357 - 4" barrel has a lot less kick than a Kahr CW9. We alternated shooting them, big difference and the Kahr lost.

#18 ·
#22 ·
I own both. I like them both. The CW9 is my daily carry. It is lighter, thinner, easier to carry and fits my hand perfect.

The XD9sc is thicker but holds more rounds, seems to have a bit more muzzle flip due to a higher bore axis, but it too fits my hand very well. It is heavier and doesn't carry as easily but could easily be an all year carry gun.

My advice is to find a way to fire both and decide which is better for you.

#23 ·
So as you all know I went with the Kahr CW9. I have put 200 rounds through it and not one malfunction. I really like this gun a lot, I am going to have to get used to the trigger but really enjoy shooting it.

I will have to go to the range a few more times while I am waiting for my THEIS holster to arrive. I highly recommend this gun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.