RIA Compacts

This is a discussion on RIA Compacts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ria.jpg Don't know how many people have stumbled on to the Rock Island Compacts, but by the guns I have been building the most of ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dawg62

Thread: RIA Compacts

Cool RIA Compacts

ria.jpgDon't know how many people have stumbled on to the Rock Island Compacts, but by the guns I have been building the most of lately....quite a few. I can't say that they are perfect right out of the box, but it doesn't take a lot of changes to make them outstanding. If you're a bucks down person, I highly recommend them. I have been gunsmithing for 45 years and it's not very often you come across a really nice weapon to start with at reasonable prices.
    Star PD, Star BM and Firestar, The new Arcus copy of the Browning Hi-Power, and the RIA Compact. This business of paying 1200 bucks for a handgun is killing us. And by the way, the Taurus brand has a lot going for it as does Kel Tec. ROCK ON LOW BUCK!!!
    1911LOD and JerryMac like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I honestly did not know they made a compact model.

I bought a commander size just for the lower to put my Kimber .22 top end on. This may be something to look into.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Sarco Inc has some of the best deals I've seen on the RIA 1911's,you need to click on the link to their gunsamerica ads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM
    Welcome to the forum . I think RIAs are good firearms for the price.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Yea I have one. I like it pretty well. Shoots like a dream but is as heavy as a brick. I wife like to shoot it too. Yours looks a lot nicer than mine.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; December 29th, 2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Addiitional info
    SCGunLover1

Good looking guns,,,, thanks,,,, I had forgot about these.

Rock Island Armory - Home
    A few elitists shouldn't rule the many.
    Better to have a 380 in your pocket than a 45 at HOME.
    When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. I don't purchase firearms solely because of price, be it high end or low end of the spectrum. I purchase after doing extensive research and acquiring first hand knowledge of the firearm I am interested in. I have many guns that would be considered low end price wise and high end price wise in my collection. I generally agree with you on your list of lower priced quality handguns with the exception of Kel Tec's and Taurus products. I personally think they are less expensive for good reasons like lack of QC and spotty fit and finish. All gun makers are in business to make money and some keep prices low by cutting QC corners and using substandard parts, others can just be inherently good bargains for the price point they sell, often because they are manufactured in a country where labor costs are lower.

Other guns I would add to the list are firearms like the CZ82, which is likely the best bargain in a quality firearm going today and its a C&R gun to boot. Bersa products are also a great bargain in a well made lower priced handgun. As far as the most gun for the money you can buy today, the used police trade-in S&W Gen. 3 semi-autos are hard to beat.

A lot of people over pay for their guns because they impulse buy or purchase guns without doing their due diligence and research. If you have some patience and spend some time looking around you can find bargains if you know where to look.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I actually stumbled across one at a gun show and took it on trade and am rally glad I did, it is a nice shootewr and for what I have in it, I am amazed !!!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Links