Looking hard at a sig 290 why not?

This is a discussion on Looking hard at a sig 290 why not? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a smaller 9mm for times when I cant carry my Glock 36. I was in my gun store last night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking hard at a sig 290 why not?

I have been looking for a smaller 9mm for times when I cant carry my Glock 36. I was in my gun store last night and they are having a sale. They have one for $550 and I may pick it up tomorrow. Throw me some thoughts guys.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I can't say anything about the P290 other than I didn't like the trigger - it felt gritty and stacked rather noticably. Other than that it felt fine in my hand and probably has enough weight to be decent to shoot.

SIG is supposed to be coming out with a P938 which will be a slightly scaled up version of the P238 as well as a double stack subcompact 9 that is supposed to compete with the G26. I'm holding off buying a micro-9 till I get a chance to try a P938 based on how much I like my wife's P238.

Fitch
    itschuck likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I have at least fondled most of the pocket 9's except for the Kimber Solo. The Sig 290 is by far the fattest in the hand. I could not stand they way it felt for me. The Beretta Nano felt pretty good. The Kel Tec PF9 fits my hand but the grip contours feel horrible. I have the LC9 because it fits my hands well and I am a Ruger fan.

If it fits you though, go for it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You might want to hop over to the Sig Forum and see what the current opinions are. Early reports were... not promising.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    You might want to hop over to the Sig Forum and see what the current opinions are. Early reports were... not promising.
    Agree, you may want to hold off a while on the 290. (and I'm a Sig fan). The Classic P series, 225,226,228,229,220,239 are all rock solid.

I'm admittedly Old School, the P290, IMHO like so many other small 'pocket" autos, including the Beretta Nano, Kimber Solo, and "insert_favorite_small_pocket_auto_here" seem to suffer from less than 100% reliability, or at minimum, have some issues with certain ammunition, FTE, FTF, etc.... I just don't trust them. I have an older Interarms Walther PPK/s (circa 1990) that I absolutely love and has never given me any problems, 0, nada. Gold Dots, Ranger T's, eats them all. That said, I STILL don't trust it enough to be my primary EDC.

I do trust my Sig P239 and my wife's S&W 642 snubbie to go bang every single time with no exceptions.

I went to get it and with the night sights and the laser it ended up being less than 500 out the door. I will run it completely through it paces before its carried but after putting 50 rounds of range ammo, and 20 rounds of DPX through it last night I actually like it. The trigger isn't great but its not too bad. At 21 feet it is accurate for a tiny pistol. I had no malfunctions with the weapon last night. 430 more rounds with no screw ups and it will probably go into the rotation, for those times the Glock 36 is too big which is not very often.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Enjoy your new gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've pre-oredered a Nano. I thought it was the best of the micro's.

P290 is a nice gun I'm sure. I just don't see the point of spending that much for it when you can get the cm9 for a lot cheaper.
    Philly Boy likes this.

A sig designed and released with Rob Cohen at the helm? No thanks.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I checked out the Sig and finally went with the Kel-Tec P11: much smaller, less $$$$$ and it has functioned flawlessly so far. Will carry it in warm weather as it is not fun as a range gun--- like most of the other small 9mm's. Added SS rod/spring assembly and mag. extenders and it is not a bad little gun at all--- and the $ savings over a SIG adds up to lots of other " stuff ."
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

P.S. The P11 is 10+1; not 6 or 7!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I recently bought a P290 as well. Shot 100 rnds of Blazer (brass) through it today. 250 total now with no problems. In my neck of the woods they are going for $600 and change with the laser.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Go for it.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new Sig. Hope it works out for you. I personally found it to be quite chunky and I didn't care for the way it fit my hand. Of course if everyone liked the same thing, there wouldn't be many gun makers around for long.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links