My Ruger LCP Experience

This is a discussion on My Ruger LCP Experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased this firearm on November 28, 2011. My primary carry is a Glock 26, but I decided that it was time for something lighter. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My Ruger LCP Experience

My Ruger LCP Experience

I purchased this firearm on November 28, 2011. My primary carry is a Glock 26, but I decided that it was time for something lighter. Something I could toss in my pocket to get the mail, do laundry (next door unit), etc. My friend and Dad both have an LCP and love it.

I fired 100 rounds on it first trip to the range and had 7 jams (mix between stove pipes and smiley face) with winchester white box FMJ.

Cleaned it, took it back to the range and fired 100 rounds and had 5 smiley faces with Remington UMC JHP.

Took it to the range and told myself the first jam I had, I was going to put it down and call Ruger, 30 or so rounds in... Smiley face....

Mailed it to Ruger, they had it for 10 days. They could not find any issues with the firearm's function, but did replace the firing pin.

Took it to the range and fired 100 flawless rounds through it. I don't know if they did something else to fix it that they didn't mention. I feel very confident that the jams I was having were not due to limp wristing. I also read that a lot of people have changed to higher tension recoil springs, while I may go down that path if my issues do not clear up, I would like to keep the firearm completely stock.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

A few Glamour Shots...

2. Remove Ads

It could just be the gun needing time to break in. I have read that it takes a pistol around 500 rounds to break in.

Welcome to the LCP club, and be sure to check out the Elsiepea forum.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "smiley face"?

That's a sweet looking LCP! :)
    crf3973 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by "smiley face"?
    An FTF- Failure to Feed. Another term for when a fired casing is ejected, but the next bullet entering the chamber from the mag gets caught going onto the feed ramp making a smiley face imprint on the bullet.

After the problems you had I wouldn't trust it for carry until I put at least 500 rounds through it without a hiccup. IMO I wouldn't carry something if I felt I might have to change to higher tension springs. A gun should fire out of the box.

wow, that LCP is sweet looking! I have been thinking about an LCP for quite some time and convinced myself I did not need one as of a few weeks ago, but I wanted one for the same reason, something to throw in the pocket like answering the front door etc. But at the same time wasnt to crazy about getting into another caliber either. I have pm 9, but dang those LCPs are tiny! I hope you get it figured out!
    crf3973 likes this.
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Wow. I feel your pain. I'd have hated it if that happened.

Mine, one of the early ones that was returned for the recall, has been flawless since day one. I wouldn't have known it needed the recall if Ruger hadn't notified me. It worked perfectly before I sent it in and it worked perfectly after I got it back. It's eaten every thing I've fed it including my reloads, several hundred of them.

It's mud fence ugly compared to yours, shows polished spots from holster wear, and has dust bunnies in the hammer channel, but it goes bang every time. It's been carried in pockets contaminated with sawdust, router chips, hay, dirt, you name it. I pull it out, and it shoots.

I take it apart and brush the crunk out of it once a month or so, but it's a reliable gun. No question about it.

My sister has an ugly one like mine and it works just like mine does.

Sure hope you get yours fixed or that it continues to work with out failures.

Fitch
    Buckj likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    wow, that LCP is sweet looking! I have been thinking about an LCP for quite some time and convinced myself I did not need one as of a few weeks ago, but I wanted one for the same reason, something to throw in the pocket like answering the front door etc. But at the same time wasnt to crazy about getting into another caliber either. I have pm 9, but dang those LCPs are tiny! I hope you get it figured out!
    Thanks. If you like this one, its called the Talo Golden Deluxe edition, they made 1500 of them. your dealer should be able to order it.

Just out of curiosity, why on earth would you elect to arm yourself with a sub-compact in your house answering the door when you can use your larger gun? Most get the LCP for easy concealment.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why on earth would you elect to arm yourself with a sub-compact in your house answering the door when you can use your larger gun? Most get the LCP for easy concealment.
    so if you want to be criticized, this is the site to come to, one mag 2 mag no mag? glock or kahr? 9mm or 45? LOL Lets see my friend. Good question. I guess if it was reasonable, every time I opened my front door, that person would be staring at the end of my 12 gauge, and skip the pistols all together, but that isnt reasonable. So LCP over one of my larger 9mm? My thinking was this (keep in mind, i decided not to get one after all, but that is always subject to change). WHen I get home from work, I usually go straight upstairs and put my EDC and spare mag in the safe. (that is changing today as well as I ordered a safe to have downstairs for quicker access, hence the change in the purchase of the LCP). I have little ones who like to roll around and I usually fall asleep on the couch and sleeping with my pistol isnt extremely comfy, kinda ruins the whole experience if you know what I mean. So before the safe purchase, I figured having an LCP in my jean pocket all the time insures I would always have something on me period. So when Im lounging and someones at the door and I decide to answer and not have my EDC on me, I would still have something on me. Maybe not the best reasoning, but I could always ask you, just out of curiousity, why on earth did you elect to join the army instead of Americas Finest United States Marine Corps? Oh no he didnt- Im kidding and thank you for your service from the bottom of my heart- my oldest boy made the same mistake (had to) as you and Im mighty Proud of him!
    CC:
    Home Protection:

so if you want to be criticized, this is the site to come to, one mag 2 mag no mag? glock or Karh? 9mm or 45? LOL Lets see my friend. Good question. I guess if it was reasonable, every time I opened my front door, that person would be staring at the end of my 12 gauge, and skip the pistols all together, but that isnt reasonable. So LCP over one of my larger 9mm? My thinking was this (keep in mind, i decided not to get one after all, but that is always subject to change). WHen I get home from work, I usually go straight upstairs and put my EDC and spare mag in the safe. (that is changing today as well as I ordered a safe to have downstairs for quicker access, hence the change in the purchase of the LCP). I have little ones who like to roll around and I usually fall asleep on the couch and sleeping with my pistol isnt extremely comfy, kinda ruins the whole experience if you know what I mean. So before the safe purchase, I figured having an LCP in my jean pocket all the time insures I would always have something on me period. So when Im lounging and someones at the door and I decide to answer and not have my EDC on me, I would still have something on me. Maybe not the best reasoning, but I could always ask you, just out of curiousity, why on earth did you elect to join the army instead of Americas Finest United States Marine Corps? Oh no he didnt- Im kidding and thank you for your service from the bottom of my heart- my oldest boy made the same mistake (had to) as you and Im mighty Proud of him!
    Dude, I can't tell where anger ended and when you got serious. I was just curious. That is all. Can anybody ask a simple question here without people assuming there is an underlying meaning? I am a straight shooter. It was a simple question. Not a criticism.Hope your son is safe . Good day to you sir.

Suntzu, I was not angry at all and was trying to be humorous with a little sarcasm. My apologies. I guess the only serious part was "my reasoning" for the LCP. But you did in fact bring to my attention a good point and I do appreciate that.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Personally, i feel the first 200 rounds through a new gun are for breaking it in and may accept a couple of failures, changing ammo, ect. after 200 round break in period, no failure is acceptable. just my $.02
    suntzu likes this.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links