Please help me with Colt Officers ACP Series 80

This is a discussion on Please help me with Colt Officers ACP Series 80 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Colt Officers ACP Series 80 and have run into an interesting problem. Whenever I am shooting ball ammo the gun is 100%. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Please help me with Colt Officers ACP Series 80

Please help me with Colt Officers ACP Series 80

I have a Colt Officers ACP Series 80 and have run into an interesting problem. Whenever I am shooting ball ammo the gun is 100%. When I switch to ANY brand of JHP the last round "stovepipes". Not a real stovepipe, but the unfired round gets lodged vertically in the chamber. I have tried multiple magazines and run into the same problem. As I said, FMJ work fine. I have replaced the stock recoil spring with an EGW full length guide rod with flat ISMI spring at 22#. It did same thing before the recoil spring upgrade, so can anyone help me figure out what the issue may be. I am thinking I need heavier mag springs?? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

The feed ramp need to be polished so the HP rounds don't snag. Had that done on my Commander. Works fine now.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

I agree with BkCo1 that having the feed ramp polished will make the biggest improvement; but while you're getting that done, it's also good to have the barrel's chamber opening crowned (top and bottom insides) and polished as well - gunsmith will also ensure barrel crown is in good alignment with feed ramp.

So it is not a magazine issue? Why would a not so polished feedramp make only last round stick up?

Try some different mags maybe. Is it possible that the slide stop is contacting the magplate? Maybe just enough that the HP rounds hang up where, ball works fine. Maybe just forget HP rounds altogether and stick with ball?

Wilson mags don't fix the problem, but they often fix the symptom, so that might be an option. They change the shell's angle and height so to "jump" the feedramp.

I had a Llama that did the same thing only in reverse--would feed HP fine as long as I didn't load over 3.

Sounds like a magazine issue to me. Had the same issue with my new series 80. Wilson 47D mags fixed it. It was always the last round getting hung vertically.

If it was a feed ramp issue, it would happen with the other rounds also. But, since it happens on the last round, my bet is your magazine has run out of push power as it relaxes.
    Go with a new quality mag first, and if that doesn't work, then look at other things.

OD*, QKShooter, and HotGuns are the guys here that can help you.
    sgb, 357and40 and tacman605 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    glockman10mm has the easiest solution; Wilson 47D's first. If that doesn't work then a call to a gunsmith is in order.

sgb
    I suspect your problem has nothing to do with the feed ramp. Is it possible to post a pic of exactly how the malfunction is occurring?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

OD*
    I'll second SGB, pictures would help. It almost sound like a bolt over base malfunction. I'll also guess your feed ramp isn't the culprit.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

oqja11.jpg

This is what is looks like. Every now and then the slide locks back prematurely as well. I am wondering if it does have to do with the slide stop..?????

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    oqja11.jpg

This is what is looks like. Every now and then the slide locks back prematurely as well. I am wondering if it does have to do with the slide stop..?????
    The problem IS your magazine, specifically the follower.

Yours

John Brownings

The major difference is that little "dimple" on the follower , it raises and angles the last round JUST ENOUGH to stop it from
    jumping out of the feed lips and jamming like yours does.

I don't know if the current COLT mags for the officer have this feature but several mfgs sell mags or followers like the ones pictured.

I also recommend sticking to a 7 rd mag in an Officer.
    WC145 likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I agree with AKsrule. I've also found that my compact guns (Colt and Detonics) have issues with full size mags but work perfectly with 6 or 7 shot Officers size mags, I suspect it has something to do with spring rate and slide velocity. Rather than mess with it I just use the proper size magazine.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    oqja11.jpg

I would try a 3 Pak of Wolff's extra power magazine springs (#71373) first, before dropping a bunch of money with a 'smith. Springs for COLT 1911 GOV'T PISTOL Semi-Auto Pistols

I'm going to assume (I know, you should never assume ) your hollow points are a little "warmer" than your ball load and your OACP is cycling slightly faster, just enough that your older and possibly weaker magazine springs can't lift the last round fast enough to keep up as the magazine spring tension decreases. As I'm sure you know, the timing is more critical the smaller the 1911 gets.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Is this a problem that has just started after functioning properly, or has the gun always do it? The picture you put up shows a 8 round CMC Power Mag. Does it do it with standard officer mags?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    My Colt OM has EGW set-up like yours and I run Wilson mags(7 rd'ers)...NO issues. Thinking a mag issue is what is going on......but I'm NOT a gunsmith. Good Luck with your Colt.[/B]
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links