New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring

This is a discussion on New Kahr PM9 Recoil Spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got the new spring. Wow, the slide is noticeably harder to rack, but obviously this is a new spring and it will relax. Im going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got the new spring. Wow, the slide is noticeably harder to rack, but obviously this is a new spring and it will relax. Im going to try and get by the range tonight. Hopefully this cures the last session of nose dived rounds. Anybody have any advice for me other than shoot it? LOL

Attached a photo. Old spring on bottom and new on top.
    Attached Images
    CC:
    Glock 19 Gen 3 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Glock 26 Gen 4 in a Brommeland Max Con V
    Karh PM9 in a Isotope 7 (made by Gary Brommeland)
    Home Protection:
    Mossberg 500 and Kimber Custom II 1911.

How many rounds did you have on the "old" recoil spring assembly before you replaced it?

Keep us posted - hope it fixes it for you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I dont have an exact count but Im guessing in the 600 - 700 range. Im going to definitely keep track on this one. Why, does it seem unsual? Basically, if you didnt read my post on the ftf, this pistol has been flawless, except for one ftf. Then last friday, I put 150 through it with several FTF's. Called Kahr and they wanted to send me a new recoil spring assembly.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

will do! What is the recommended change out on the recoil spring?
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Quote Originally Posted by leathernuts View Post
    will do! What is the recommended change out on the recoil spring?
    Depends who you talk to at Kahr. In the past, they told me every 1000 rounds. More recently, they said every 1200-1500. I'd certainly go no more than 1000.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Literally just finished. Only had time to send 80 down range. All went flawless and was a mix of Remington and wwb. The other 20 went down range from the 19. Couldn't resist lol.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Glad it worked out for you.
    Last edited by ripley16; December 31st, 2011 at 03:46 PM.

Looks like your replacement spring had the same number of coils as the original, so you shouldn't have any problems. The jam nut on the end of the captive spring on my PM40 came loose, and Kahr sent me a replacement along with a new outer spring. That spring would bind and not allow the slide to rack, so I put the old outer spring back in, and it worked OK. Other folks have reported that the replacement springs sometimes need to be cut down to match the number of coils of the originals. Makes sense if Kahr uses the same basic spring in pistols of different lengths, and just cuts them down to size. Good Luck!

Go to Kahrtalk.com and search. The nose dive issue is a known problem. (I own and carry a CW) There are mods you can make very easily to solve this problem. Here are a few threads to look at:

Magazine bullet nose dive - KahrTalk Forums <---This is the main one. i did this to all my mags and my nose dive problem went away.

Total fix for feeding issue with my CM9! - KahrTalk Forums
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks!
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Go to Kahrtalk.com and search. The nose dive issue is a known problem. (I own and carry a CW) There are mods you can make very easily to solve this problem. Here are a few threads to look at:

Magazine bullet nose dive - KahrTalk Forums <---This is the main one. i did this to all my mags and my nose dive problem went away.

Total fix for feeding issue with my CM9! - KahrTalk Forums
    I dunno. Seems like the round below the top round is now in danger of coming forward out of position, since it is riding higher and closer to the open part of the mag in the front.

I actually did try this mod, and while it might make nose-down jams for the second round less likely, it did nothing for me in terms of being able to load the PM9 via the slingshot or overhand method. Maybe I need to sand even more - but I am kinda uncomfortable going too far beyond factory spec. I'm actually ordering a follower and going back to factory - I only modded one mag to try it. Maybe you can tell me what I might have done wrong?

The issue with the Kahr mag will not ever completely go away, I think, because the feed lip angle is steeper than the base of the mag. The top round is at a steeper angle, and its rim can lock into the groove at the back of the cartridge below it. This both changes the feed angle of the top round as it is rammed home (due to drag), and drags the round below forward and out of position. This is a form of rim lock unique to Kahr, because the rounds do not sit parallel at the top of the mag when the mag is fully loaded.

If you lay some rounds on top of a fully loaded mag laying on a table, you can see the angles, and the rim lock issue I am talking about. Sanding the follower might make the angle between the top round and round below less steep, but I don't think it will completely eliminate the issue - and you could possible create other issues. If it works for you, then great. I'm just a little leery. If the fix was so simple, you'd think the factory would just redesign the followers - there has to be a reason they don't.

CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Its a wonder so many of us have never had a any problem. I have owned several handguns from other companies that mags stacked rounds the same way. Just wonder way some have problems and others never do. Even with the cm-pm series some can use mags from there longer kahrs and some just can't get them to work. I use my 7 and 8 rounders from my cw9. I try to find way to cause my pistol fail to cycle and fire as I break them in. My cw ran 1200 rounds before in changed the recoil spring ,my cm is getting closer but still have a couple hundreds rounds to fire.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Makes sense if Kahr uses the same basic spring in pistols of different lengths, and just cuts them down to size
    The small Kahrs use a different recoil spring system than do the larger Kahrs. They are not intermingled or merely cut down. Mid size and large framed Kahrs use a single, open ended simple spring.
    Last edited by ripley16; January 1st, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    The small Kahrs use a different recoil spring system than do the larger Kahrs. They are not intermingled or merely cut down. Mid size and large framed Kahrs use a single, open ended sinple spring.
    Yeah he specifically asked me if my slide was tapered which it is. I believe the old style has 13 coils as where the new style has 15.
    CC:
    Home Protection:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links